Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to un-ugly a 1946 Ford coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, May 23, 2016.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

If it were me, I'd put back the missing chrome and stainless. 46 stainless is the best looking trim of all 40's Ford's.

gary

504640 likes this.

2. You read my mind. I have the stainless for around the front and rear windows, side windows and all fender stainless except the passenger side front. I am putting the park lights back in it and the trunk handle as well of its not too big of a chore. I like stock trim

verde742 and 62hotcat like this.
  3. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

how does this stuff keep finding you or vice versa....nice coupe

4. A Boner

A Boner

Great job on the Paint job save! Looks great

5. That shiny paint and front bumper are a huge improvement, but what can I say...I liked the red wheels and other seat. Thats why we all have varying tastes.
    And I learned something about hot rod flatz paint.

6. My buddy Dusty got some more done last night. The passenger quarter/fender and roof are about all that's left to do

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    T-roaster and 62hotcat like this.
  7. brad2v

brad2v

Which, I'm sure, you should have one turn up during a stop for a slurpee at the local quik-ee-mart, given the way you seem to roll, haha.
    It looks really good. Nice job as usual.

8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Great looking coupe,I had a 48 many, many, years ago in the USAF also painted flat black with paint borrowed from the AF, decided at one point I'd like it shiney and buffed and waxed it only to have it revert to flat about 3 months later. Most likely a lot different paint than what's used today so I hope the same thing will not happen to you. I also dropped in a 58 283 against the original trans and rear and drove from Fl to Mass and back several times, very reliable. Good luck with your build. Ralphie

9. The difference is this paint is actually just a regular enamel, with a flattner added. The flatning agent goes to the top when it cures, by wet sanding and buffing you cut that area down, revealing shiny paint. I am no expert, but have seen guys do this with this same paint and years later it still holds a gloss finish. So, fingers crossed, but I just couldn't live with flat paint.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Baumi likes this.
  10. He did not, I had a 41 coupe I sold once I bought this car. This car is titled and is a 46. I got your PM, it would not let me reply to it. I will call you later tonight or tomorrow.

11. Well my friend dusty had some family stuff going on this weekend so could not make it over. I decided to try and finish the wet sanding myself...even though dusty told me not to :) I think I got it done but will await his approval. Did a little rubbing compound on the top and trunk lid...I can't wait to see this car fully shiny!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I also rebuilt a spare steering box I had. The one in the car is terrible, but came with a new worm gear in the trunk. So had that pressed on, new bearings and a gasket set. These steering boxes are extremly easy to rebuild

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    T-roaster, Dog_Patch, SERPENT and 2 others like this.
  12. Bills 50

Bills 50
    from Roanoke Va

Every once in a while you win one..looks like you did!
    Bill

13. verde742

verde742

Even a blind chicken finds a speck of corn, sometimes

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

WOW! and with the buff job you lost that not so hot pinstripe work also. Shes so perdy!

15. Bingo. I hated that striping

16. That car is lucky that you bought it.
    Looks so much better!

17. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Chris, I was bored so I decided to lay my mouse on your awesome new car - I hope you don't mind. What I've done is painstakingly removed the car from the wheels and I have it sitting in layers and saved which means that I can keep adjusting it until you think it sits right.

Here's a suggestion based on the lowered axle (adding a bit more rake) and an overall lowering (and probably my own tastes) but if you want to give me other instructions and/or you can describe how you want it to sit I'll make it look like that so you can see what it'll look like.

46-ford-lowered.jpg

I can lower it more, or less or lose the rake or add more rake, slam it to the ground...whatever you want. I love doing this so don't be shy, tell me what you want. Even better, take a side on shot just like this but with the new shiny paint and I'll use that instead.

P.S. See how I didn't quite get the front half of the front fender opening right? This is because it was dark in there and I couldn't see the outline very well. If you take a new shot try to use a flash or take it in some better light - if you can, otherwise I can use this and adjust it to your liking.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    rytang, Paul B, Chris and 1 other person like this.

18. Wow that looks great! That is actually about what I had in mind. The tires/wheels on it now are just rollers, I have the same tires except a size smaller in the back. I just need to paint my wheels and mount them. I hope my car sits about like that though!

32ford5 likes this.
  19. Are you going away from the 15"ers that you had planned on the other coupe?

20. Nice save- I like the 46'er-

21. 46 I recently sold. ImageUploadedByTJJ1368667408.821195.jpg

509garyd and straykatkustoms like this.
  22. Not at the moment. I really couldn't find a tire size I liked, and buying this car kind of drained me. I wanted to run 15's only to run a set of Fiesta caps...which I ended up selling to help pay for this car. I have the 16's so will use them for now. I also have a very nice set of 1942caps, trim rings and accessory inner beauty rings I am going to run (shown on the pic above)

23. Very nice looking car...what tire sizes were on it?

24. dudley32

dudley32

Nice improvements...the paint really surprised me...I didn't like the pinstripes either...

25. S.F.

S.F.

ENORMOUS improvement! It costs just as much to build an ugly car as it does to build a good looking car, the difference is taste. This is textbook example of how to improve a cars value...by a lot.....with pennies.

rytang and Scott Mannion like this.
  26. S.F.

S.F.

disagree. Its amazing how lucky you get. The harder you work.

27. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Awesome, nailed it. By the way, thanks for showing the matt-to-gloss transformation as well, I also had no idea this could be done. That little comment your painter buddy made about how matt paint can be polished has reverberated all across the world. I was literally stunned at the results. Can't wait to see more pics. Thanks for posting - great thread.

28. 750x16 on the rear..650x16 on the front if I remember correctly.

29. Great, thanks! It looks good!

30. Small victory last night. Been sanding on this steering wheel for a few days, with it being almost 100 degrees yesterday I figured I should paint it. I've always loved white steering wheels

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016