Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Definitive "MILD CUSTOM" Photo Thread....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Centurion9, Mar 31, 2011.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

The terminology has changed with the times. Chopped tops have become much more common, often being the first change made to a car.
    Such was not the case in the fifties and sixties, when there were four modifications by which a car would be deemed as a "Radical Custom", and judged accordingly at shows. These were: Chopping, Channeling, Sectioning, and Shortening. This was a definitive standard, and cars within the class generally (but not necessarily) carried a slew of other modifications, as was contemporary for the time.
    Cars with heavy body modifications that did not include one or more of the four changes mentioned were generally referred to as "Full-Customs" and "Semi Customs" This was often a discretionary determination. These were popular categories, and encompassed many famous customs.
    "Mild Customs" were the cars without major changes, either procedural or stylistic. Sometimes such simple changes as rounded hood corners could move you into "Semi Custom" status.
    But like I said, times have changed. Like Yogi Berra said, "The past ain't what it used to be!"

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  2. KraQer

KraQer
    from Austin TX

Thanks for the breakdown. Some folks are so sensitive to placement in this group. I didn't mean to step on toes. I've seen some cars that have put a ton of metal work into their ride, crazy paint and custom features. And it's still just a mild custom. Learning everyday.

3. One important point, though, is we aren't concerned with today's definition of "mild custom" or how it has evolved over time. Since this is the HAMB and we are focusing on 1965 and earlier styles, the definition that 'Mo put forth is what we must go with. Again, it doesn't matter what we think of today, it matters what was during the period that the HAMB covers.

504640, KraQer, Outback and 1 other person like this.
  4. TikiTyme55

TikiTyme55

here is mine

Attached Files:

5. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

6. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

Here's my 1956 Olds... Hope you like it.
    2.5" lowered, cleaned off scripts and antenna, took away the pitted middle divider and put in a chrome mesh in the grill and inserted a '57 Oldsmobile lettering to it and fitted skirts to it.

Attached Files:

7. studhud

studhud

One I did last year called the Electracutioner ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463740791.988136.jpg

Rudy, mario711, DesertRat760 and 12 others like this.
  8. Nicely done, good job on the details.

9. 504640

Yeah, I would call it a very nice example of a mild custom. It's headlight hoods have been worked in, some trim holes filled, hood peaked, and rear fenders molded. So, it has had a lot more work than a typical mild custom; it would be interesting to see the rear. Mo, did you post this as a mild custom example? Is this one that you would use as an example of rounded hood corners making it a semi-custom?

10. 'Mo

'Mo

Yeah, 504640. I think this is right on the cusp. Rounded hood corners were definitely forward thinking, and would probably have tipped the scales at most shows. Consequently, they would most likely have been accompanied by a host of other modifications at the same time. Like they say,, too much is never enough!

504640 likes this.
  11. 504640

I noticed the picture of the sweet coupe is from Street Rodder magazine. I will bet it still doesn't have one of our beloved stovebolts!

12. 'Mo

'Mo

The photo was from event coverage (Billetproof), rather than a feature car. The owner was listed as Phill Lacy, and he has owned it for over 30 years. So, you never know! :)
    The car has '41 Stude tail lights, which sound as perfect as the rest of the details.

Outback and 504640 like this.
  13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Ok, here's my 1961 International Harvester B-100 Mild Custom pickup project, sort of a "cool shop truck" that maybe a custom shop would have had. Probably not most people's first choice for a mild custom but I could see it in my mind. When I saw it for sale I thought the styling was already wacky enough that it just needed a few things to get there.

So Far:
    Pulled the front bumper to expose the louvers in the chin and added Porsche 356 nerf bars.
    BFG Silvertown WWW's on Chrome wheels etc.
    '61 Falcon Tail Lights
    Red and White bench seat found on Craigslist 10 min from home for $300
    56 Vette Steering Wheel
    It for sure needs some more chrome, especially on the rear

The interior still needs to be painted but, it's my daily. May pull the rear bumper and do some kind of nerf out back, maybe drop the rear an inch or two, maybe pull the IH "mustache" to clean up the front end a bit, different mirrors, some pin stripes and who knows what else. Here are some before and after pics.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Rudy, DesertRat760, quick85 and 11 others like this.
  14. This truck is too Kool.....yeah with a K....see ya around this Summer...maybe Friday Night 50's McDonald's...

15. verde742

verde742

Nice, :oops:I like it that you put steering wheel where is shows in picture...:rolleyes:

16. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

Great transformation!
    The very essence of the Mild Custom.... small changes that make a big difference.

17. 'Mo

'Mo

Spotlight-mirrors were once a popular accessory, and would be right at home on this Plymouth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks for the great compliment!

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks buddy! For sure see you around town.

Oh yeah, meant to tell you Saturday. Drove past Gators house couple weeks ago, Mrs Gator was outside so we gave her a Rev as we were passing. My buddy Ed yelled "keep ur flame lit!" She spun around, put up her hand and said "wooooooo" hahahahaha.

20. 504640

Very well said, Mo! I will try to retain that quote in my memory bank.
    Is this 50 Olds Rocket 88 coupe what you have in mind to qualify your quote, Mo?
    I stole this pic from CCC. It was taken at the 1954-55 Hollywood Park, Englewood, Ca. car show.
    It is nosed and has some custom headlight work done. Partial French? It has the door handles shaved and spotlights added. It has a very well accomplished lowering job, with a deep drop to the rear. The fiesta spinners probably were heisted of a new Olds. I hope the rear would have been decked, with the exception of the iconic rocket 88 emblem. HollywoodParkPhoto06-vi.jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  21. 'Mo

'Mo

A perfect example, 504640.
    Not to speak for someone else, , but I think that Olds is EXACTLY the kind of car Centurion9 had in mind when he started this thread!

504640 and barryvanhook like this.
  22. Dude....you just made my week! That's awesome...I'm sure you made her day too. I sent Mick a pic of his Stripers Hall of Fame name tag hanging from the mirror of Sins....said pops is hanging with everyone today...man I miss that guy...thanks again...I might be solo Friday...wife and kids are going to see a dance recital..some of Gaors old buds are there every Friday night. Might roll down and hang out for a bit

23. Dodgy Dodge

Dodgy Dodge

Louvers_In_The_Top!.jpg
    OoooH Yeah.................

Rudy and mario711 like this.
  24. Dodgy Dodge

Dodgy Dodge

Kustom_\'57_Chevy.jpg
    It all lines up, AND the hood fits..........job done.

Rudy likes this.
  25. busted67

busted67

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    47 Pontiac we been working on.

Rudy, rodncustomdreams and 504640 like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That would be Roger Ryans 57 Chevy from Omaha Nebraska.

27. Dodgy Dodge

Dodgy Dodge

I think so, but how cool is this shot? I'd fit hood pins and consider it done.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It was wrecked when brand new. Had an mishap when it was unloaded off the transport truck. It was customized shortly later. Went on to win a bunch of awards and was featured in a few magazines. The car is now a modern day looking custom with big wheels. The overall appearance of the car hasn`t changed though.

29. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER