Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sanding flaws from new whitewalls???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john worden, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Goodyear's are made by Goodyear tire and sold by Kelsey Tires we all have to buy through Kelsey to get them. Goodyear's are more expensive but have better quality to their work.

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

To bad they don't offer the wider whites. Thanks.

3. Jess H

Jess H

John, no problem for the response. I always try to reach out when I see post. As I mentioned in my last post those nubs and indentations are all from the vents and reliefs in the mold on the Firestone. As far as I know the tires had these originally and it’s not something Coker added. I’m not familiar with the tire in the pic, but it appears to be a different design as it has the ribbed whitewall and block letters, not the outlined letter as the Firestone has.
    Thanks,

Jess Hoodenpyle
    Coker Tire
    1-800-251-6336
    www.cokertire.com

4. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Your right, Goodyear does not have that size in the 4" range but just for clearification.

Goodyears carry the biggest size whitewalls in the following sizes 6.70X15 Super cushion is 4 1/4" WW. The 7.10X15 is also 4 1/4" WW and finally the 650X16 is 4" WW.
    Generals come with the following 6.70X5 - 3 3/4" WW and 6.00-16 3 1/2" WW.
    Firestone 6.70X15 are 3 1/4" WW and 7.10X15s are 3 1/4" WW and finally the 650X16 is 4" WW.

Lester does carry an 8.20X15 that is 4" and does have a cleaner white wall.

Don't really mean to be argumentative but really the quality of white wall on either the Goodyear, General and Lester exceed the whitewall treatment on the Firestone, IMO. From my standpoint, I'd rather give up a little on the white wall size and get a better looking white wall then have a huge white wall that needs to be cleaned up.

Again these are just facts interlaced with my opinion, I do work with these specialty tires daily.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  5. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Jesse - its a Goodyear tire.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You're too sensitive

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  7. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

I don't want to hijack, however what can I use to cover/color black the remnants of the raised white lettering when I buff them down to the black sidewall?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Seriously, thanks to Gal6xie5 for all the useful info.
    I was unaware of your business, hope you get some welcome traffic.
    Your glossary of tire makes/whitewall widths/characteristics should be published as a spec sheet.

9. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Summit Sells Tire paint markers.

10. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

Thanks Mike,
    I have worked with White wall tires for over 8 years. Our shop is more into building and small maintience work but I still love the tires.

11. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Nice irrelevant assumption that I own a "2008 Honda" :rolleyes:.

Yes I "understand" that tires being out of round isn't anything new, that's not the point.

What you don't "understand" is QUALITY control and inconsistencies. If you don't mind speeding up the wear process on an already expensive tire that's supposed to be round TO BEGIN WITH, then clearly you're the one that's missing something here. If the tires are out of round than the manufacturer needs to correct the problem before they are sold, not the customer.

I hope you "understand" now.

12. Wow...

..Seems to be you're the one that doesn't get it pal... unrealistic expectations.

These things were out of round 70 years ago and they are built the same way today.

Shaving a new tire was common and accepted. The technology of manufacturing a bias ply hasn't gotten any better over the years. Why is that so hard to understand?

Expecting old technology to improve beyond it's pinnicle of manufacture after it was already replaced by a superior product is asinine.

If the quality isn't up to your standards but it's remained the same for decades...who is the one that needs to change their expectations. The manufacturers who has been doing it the same for decades? Or someone that expects bias ply tires to have the same quality control and characteristics as modern radial tires?

Don't get me wrong. I totally wish these things came round and I think it's something that really sucks to take care of. But I accept it as a fact of playing the game. If we didnt take these tires and make them round we wouldn't have anything.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  13. I don't buy'em anymore, had my problems in the past.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put them on the back, do a few burnouts, and they should be round then! :D

bondolero likes this.
  15. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

"Wow" what?

You sound just a little.... biased, "pal".

You do understand English right? I already told you I know shaving tires is nothing new.

Wanting to buy a non-defective tire is not an "unleasistic expectation".

If you want to settle and keep making excuses to justify in your mind why out of round (in other words defective) tires are okay, then, that's your problem.

You don't seem to get the point that, if some bias ply tires can be manufactured truly round, why can't all of them?

By having people like you who keep buying defective products, well then of course the manufacturers aren't going to try to improve.. Even after "70 years", because you, the con$umer, is fixing their mi$take$ on your time & dime!

Seems like you're also not aware that places that "shave" tires are not as common as they were "70 years" ago, especially in more rural areas.

And to make it clear, and I'm not necessarily "expecting" anything, I just simply won't buy an inferior product.

Do I make my self clear now?

16. Yeah. You'd rather whine about it. It's very clear.

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. I have used a white paint pen to touch up a whitewall, you could try a black one for the rest of the tyre.

18. No dog in this fight (and good morning by the way). Big rig truck service centers ... all practice tire shaving as a normal standard operating practice. Alignment,frame, and tire balancing issues are small change to places such as this. Finding one near you, is always a good thing.

bondolero likes this.
  19. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

You guys are ALL wrong, those are "Nipples".

20. (Did somebody say "nipples"?)
    Wesley's Tire Bleche, before that Comet, and then, Nurse's Friend:

sani-white box.jpg

21. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

So you don't understand English or you can't read, either way, that's your problem, grow up.

22. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Tried that, I either spoke to someone who didn't know what I was talking about or they said they didn't deal with passenger car tires. And I'm not going to drive over 2 hours away to a major city to have it done, even if I could find someone. Again, I just won't buy the product.

23. That's fine. No worries. I was commenting merely to say that shaving tires is not uncommon.

Hampton Roads, Suffolk area has several places that true tires. Richmond too. Over the border, Camp Springs Maryland, Washington D.C. You true up a tire to make it rounder, easier to balance, last longer. A lot of places do this.

No tire is perfectly round. None. Most people don't need them to be. SOME people do. Definitely not a deal breaker. Rally tires, and big rigs ... high dollar tires. Shaved them all for better performance.

They would have to be molded square for me to worry about it. That's it. Take care.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  24. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I can't say I agree, and you're not me. Now you take care to.

25. You don't have to agree with facts. Facts are just what they may be.

Term is : Tire Truing.

My discussion was based on what that is, and why one would do so. It's an industry in of itself. An accurate mode of better balancing features with any tire. Over the road trucking, and racing commonalities.

(You can still have the last word, this post doesn't really count... it's a repeat of previous.)

Hitchhiker likes this.
  26. yup. The more you race, the more you shave.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I was talking about the fact that, tire shaving is not common in my neck of the woods. You kept naming places very far from me like it's supposed to help me? And then get offended when I don't agree. Hence why you keep posting.

And as far as some of what you said in the second half of post #53, you could think that's all fact, SOME could think that's opinion.

28. :) you are really funny.​

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Hitchhiker likes this.
  29. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Now is that a fact or opinion?

30. Dear sir,

Most people on HAMB are exceedingly polite, you seem to be an anomoly.

Truing bias ply tires are a fact. Nipples are a fact. Reproducing new from old molds has it limitations, and even in their heyday, bias ply tires had visual and physical defects.
    HAMB truing.jpg
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/bias-tires.990431/

kidcampbell71 and Hitchhiker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.