Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Austin Gassers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by manicmachanic, Oct 27, 2015.

1. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Bad part is lifts ass end up. Some times not good!

2. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Blown Cad powered Austin on boobtube. Just punch in Austin Gasser. Dude blew it up. Put in {sic} bbc Yuk

3. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

Someone mentioned droopy door handles, I have new locks and new handles and they still droop !
    the fix is easy just put the handle shaft in a vice and twist it till the handle is straight on the car.

4. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Austin works has article on fixing it in the tech section.

5. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

Attached Files:

6. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0026.JPG Got the engine. Biggest production V8. 500 Cad. Makes 490 horse stock. Going to rebuild stock. NOT

7. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

You can check with Austin Works. Guy knows where almost A40 in the country is.

8. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Anybody know about Crosley's? Can get a bunch of Crosley parts for 600, including a complete front axle. Need to know about the axles. Any other spindles I can put on it?

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might be too narrow???

10. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Not really. The Crosley had 40" track width. I think the Austin is 41 or 42. Don't remember have to go check speck again. Micky Hale said that his axle could be 39".

11. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Just bought this. Hope I didn't get burned. Guess I'll find out. Should be here Mon. or Tues. Price was right. Heard good things about Hampton blowers, just not the way he does business. But I can't really say. Since I've never really done business with him. All the guys I know who did are dead.

Attached Files:

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 48 Austin Dorset been hidden since Santa Ana drags days. 383 Chrysler is long gone and a 100k miles Chevy is residing under the tilt front end. It has a plate and will soon be on the street with Valley Service on the doors. (that's Fountain Valley) All the suspension is how it was back then.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Wow! You need to contact Greg Sharp at the NHRA museum and see if there are any photos of it at Santa Ana. I understand they have a lot of info from there. It would sure be great to find out some history.
    Rob Stewart (Austin Works) and Don Waldron (RodsWest) came up empty on mine, no one seems to know anything about it.
    We were supposed to take the Austin to Eagle Field but my tow vehicle burned two exhaust valves so we went in the family truckster without the Austin.
    Mine is running and driving now, the next scary old thing to fix will be the home made fuel tank.
    Post some more pictures when you can.
    Manic: glad to see you got a motor. How did the blower look? Ready to run?
    Devonrod: I like that simple solution!
    Here's a photo of mine as it is now. I'm concentrating on getting the Willys PU (cab in front of the Austin) back together right now so the Austin isn't getting the attention it needs.
    IMG_0485.JPG

14. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Hampton 8:71 with pullys and snout for a mopig. Maybe a little to long for a Cad. Hard anodized rotors. Took it to Dyer, only 2 miles from my house. Bill, Gary's son said "Looks good. Run it"! Then bought rear wheels. So now the money is short. Have to sit back and regroup. Been talking to a guy in Ohio "Ugly Duckling Farm" about a frame. May start all over.

15. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Everything is a grand. I need this, "a grand", I need that, "a grand".

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Try looking here http://www.austinworks.com/gassers.html Lots Austin gassers of the 60's and 70's from around the country!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  17. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Looks good!

18. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

OH! OOPS! Sorry, you need that? Sorry 3 grand!

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bchctybob. Don't need to contact any one on the history of the 48 Austin Dorset. The 92 year old who drove it around Huntington Beach is still alive and had her photo taken with it yesterday. Her son started building it, sold it to the current owners father who finished and raced it. They stored it at their ranch after Santa Ana drags stopped. The son took it out to his home and got it back running and driving again within the last year. I need to talk to the father and son to see if they have photos of it racing...I'm just glad to see it out of storage.

20. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Rear wheels look great, but are they U.S.A.?

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Manic and Jimmy six, any progress on your Austins? Mine just got a new blown small block.

22. rooman

rooman

There has not been anything posted on this thread since 2016 so lets try to jump start it.
    A 40 Gasser.jpg

This is Bill Drake from Rochester NY and as noted on the front "spoiler" this was at one time the world's fastest A 40 at 155 mph. Bill also held the NHRA A/G elapsed time record through the end of the 1970 season while banging a 4 speed trans through the gears.

Roo

ss34coupe likes this.