Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. wow! What's the back story on this one?

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

thehazguy and C. John Stutzer like this.
  3. rfraze

rfraze

4. 296ardun

296ardun

hrxp_1105_77_a_year_in_the_life_of_eric_rickman_1958_.jpg
    '58 NHRA Nationals, Art Chrisman in the Hustler I on gas vs. Ted Cyr in the Cyr & Hopper "Ole Blue," which they towed back to the Nationals to sell, but when their new blown Chrysler TE-440 car lost, they rolled Ole Blue off the trailer and raced it, beating Chrisman in this race and taking Top Eliminator. "For Sale" signs still on the car. The win didn't sell the car, so Ted towed it back to Escondido CA and put two blown Chryslers in it.

Fremont Drags - 1961 by Bill Hewitt (1).JPG
    A/R at Fremont...before the roadster and altered classes were combined.

Phil weiand.JPG
    The Hustler I, seen on gas above, got a top-mounted blower and a dose of nitro, but not before Chrisman boomed the front-mounted blower, damaging the body and there was not time to repaint it before the first Smoker's meet...didn't matter, Chrisman won top fuel there.

HALF%20MOON%20BAY%20(11).jpg
    Rod Stuckey leaves the line at Half Moon Bay, his pink wagon tow car behind...this may have been the run where Rod was badly burned...

COMP%20COUPE%2040%20NOSE.jpg
    Bob Gorman's Bantam-bodied coupe at Pomona, maybe '54...Here he ran a flathead, later a Studebaker, ran 124 with it.

1953bcsedan001.jpg
    Saugus, from the Baker Collection...shows that full bodied cars were evolving from street-driven (the '34) to the full competition -- the 40 Ford which has lost its street equipment and gone full competition. It is interesting to recall that support for early drag strips came from community leaders and police officers who wanted to stop street racing, yet even by the mid-'50s, street-driven cars were becoming uncompetitive because of this evolution...of course, some hot rodders may have just sold their street hot rods to build a comp. car, or upgraded to competition only.

PalamidesWheel1.jpg
    Pete Ogden in his Desoto-powered roadster, maybe Vacaville. Pete was a noted builder who later fabricated Pure Hell and a number of other famous cars. Romeo Palamides was an early caster of magnesium wheels, as seen on the rear of this car. My dim memory seems to recall that the Palamides Wheel Company somehow evolved into American Racing Equipment...corrections are always welcome.

Bangkok Dean, brut4s, 51 BIRD and 5 others like this.
  5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. thehazguy

thehazguy

8. thehazguy

thehazguy

9. thehazguy

thehazguy

10. thehazguy

thehazguy

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The '61 Ford, is Jim Price, 390-401 hp, he was sponsored by Pope Ford out of Renton,Wa. In 1962 he ran two different '62 Fords, one was a "Factory Lightweight". His main competition was Portland's Bill Ireland, and in '64 they both had Thunderbolts, Ireland had "Oregon Ford Dealers" as a sponsor, and Portland auto dealer Marv Tonkin, supplied Jim's. What a thrill to have (2) of these cars racing locally,notice the tow-bar brackets on both cars. Bill Ireland vs Jim Price.jpg

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

For the last many years, The "Orange Crate" has been displayed at car shows, but now thanks to our own "Saltracer 219", it runs ! Gary re-built the Blown Olds. I watched it many times in the early 60's.

tommyd, t-rod, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  13. Race car turned show car returned to a race car. COOL!!

14. chevylady

chevylady

Ray is one of my Dad's racing friends. Really, really like this pic.

296ardun likes this.
  15. Does that wagon in the other lane have a friggen jet engine in the back!!! Sure
    looks like it to me, and it says "Flamin Funny Wagon on the side!!!

tommyd and Gary Reynolds like this.
  16. realsteel34

realsteel34

73aec3688d2208f6f85cdd548a02f057 (6).jpg
    Yes, It does have a jet engine.

tommyd, racer-x and Gary Reynolds like this.
  17. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

That's the way I remember it. Palamides into American Racing.

Bowtie Coupe and 296ardun like this.
  18. thehazguy

thehazguy

19. thehazguy

thehazguy

20. thehazguy

thehazguy

21. thehazguy

thehazguy

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

23. thehazguy

thehazguy

24. thehazguy

thehazguy

25. thehazguy

thehazguy

26. thehazguy

thehazguy

27. metalman

metalman

A friend sent this to me, Albuquerque Dragway around 64. Scan0013.jpg

28. If this is the car that was featured in Hot Rod magazine in the sixties it belonged to two brothers who lived in Long Beach, Ca. A friend of mine, John Hoven, tracked them down in the early seventies in an effort to find out what they had learned about the centrifugal blower in a drag race application. They invited him down to their house and I rode with him one evening. They showed and told him everything they had learned and then gave him boxes full of parts and pieces and said "we're done with it, why don't you give it a try" to which he gladly accepted. He never got around to trying it; experimenting and testing gets awfully expensive when you're trying to run a fuel funny car every week. That box of parts is still floating around southern cal somewhere just waiting to be found.

tommyd, 296ardun and Bowtie Coupe like this.