Register now to get rid of these ads!

My fiancés new 1936 Buick 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, May 1, 2016.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I like the Olds covers the best but the '52 Buick covers come in a very close second.

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  2. skooch

skooch

You know it's on when Rik joins in.

3. I got it lowered 4" today. Ordered some blocks and u bolts from summit. I think I'm going to drop the front now just an inch. [​IMG][​IMG]

kiwijeff, LONG, TonyVan and 2 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Skiiiirts ON!!! Just kidding one step at a time. Nice machine...You two will have to draw straws to see who gets to drive...:D

5. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

6. Wild lookin!

7. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I put a few photos on the Photoshop thread too.

8. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Gonna make for some bad ass wedding pics in October.

9. Thanks!

10. That's for sure!

11. 'Mo

'Mo

Bringing this one over. Nice!

[​IMG]

12. Baldies

Baldies

You just have the timing advanced a little too far.

hacknwhack likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might as well run rear skirts as well (good intentions but it needs the back ones too). I posted this Cadillac offshoot in another thread that this reminds me a little of this elegant style being proposed by Falcon. Steering may be more difficult (offset wheels perhaps). Also with this combo of skirts the chop the Rikster proposed in his rendering would be essential to give it that Loooong slinky cruiser look...Live this as you know is just my opinion so you will be the ultimate judge in where this goes and again this beast you and your sweetheart have is a lovely canvas ;).

2e11470ce34f384fdb20c9024876682c.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. Falcon61wagon

Falcon61wagon
    from Indiana

I was being facetious.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another fully skirted wild thing...

merc.jpg

just a vision...​

16. Heading to the pismo beach classic this weekend so have been getting the 36 dialed in, got it running pretty smooth has a small miss at idle and a tiny sputter mid rpm with no load. I think it might be my automatic choke giving me issues. I'm going to try to find another carb. Also it's still has the starting issue once it's good and warm it only has to sit for 4-5 minutes then it fires right up. I played with the timing yesterday and it didn't make a difference in the starting. I also started to (attempt) to fix the paint with the process mention before, and started polishing her up. The lady helped me with the paint to! Hard worker she is. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Stogy, bryanyeskie, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  17. telekenfun

telekenfun

Now that is really looking great! Amazing what a little wax and elbow grease can do. We can still see your reflection in 80 year old paint. And, even a single brush coat over the bare patches does wonders visually and will stop further deterioration of the surface. Have her continue to load the lacquer into those patches until it is thick enough to feather the new into the old. Then the patches will disappear with a bit of buffing. Cruise it proudly and enjoy Pismo.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

302GMC and LiveActionMotorsports like this.
  18. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Amazing what a little wax and buffing out can do for a car! The patina & color kinda gives it a nice ''grand old classic'' look ....such as "here I am, and I'm the real deal"....I always liked a bit of spit & polish aspect to an old paint scheme if some real effort was put to it ...showing respect and a better life for the car. To be sure, I like nice paint jobs...but until it happens , ...nothing wrong with a little earned recognition to the original paint and appreciation. It's looking real good...and I like it a lot!;)

Stogy and LiveActionMotorsports like this.
  19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I had a corvette and it had a similar problem with not starting after being driven and then not wanting to start up until it cooled down. The problem turned out to be the starter, it apparently got hot being close to the headers and needed to cool down. I replaced the starter and that fixed the problem.
    Another reason could be the heat from your engine is heating the fuel in the carburetor bowl after shutdown. You could try some short of insulation or heat shield at the base of carb to see if that helps.

20. telekenfun

telekenfun

Regarding the starting problem: When it is "good and warm", will it start right up if you shut it off and immediately start it back up? If a couple minutes go by and then fails to start, it may be a "heat soak" problem, also called "vapor lock". Everyone has their own solution to that problem but the most successful one I've seen is an electric fuel pump on a switch to blow the vapor through the system. The down side to this method is said that excess fuel can be pushed into the engine and risks washing down the cylinders. In another case you may simply need a phenolic insulator between the carb and the manifold to reduce heat transfer to the carburetor.
    In my personal experience with warm starting failure, I had a couple of old Chevy stovebolts that would always start when cold but would never start until they were completely cool off. Those motors had considerable smokey blowby and were on their last legs. Hopefully you are not experiencing the onset of those conditions. Because it only takes 4-5 minutes to cool down or allow a vapor lock to dissipate, the situation may not be as bad as my experiences. Since your car sat for so long, it is possible and probable that some of the rings and valves are still gummed up from that terrible oil used in the old days. When I peruse the numbers you listed from your compression test I see a 30% difference between the highest and the lowest cylinders. This is indicative of an internal problem but not of a worn out motor when #1 cylinder shows 90lbs. The front cylinder is usually the first to display problems as it is the cylinder that gets the poorest fuel mixture in an inline engine with a single carbuetor.
    The solution may be to try a overhaul in a can such as Resolone(sp) or SeaFoam. That may degum the rings and valve guides. Inquire with others as to the effectiveness of those products as I heard that they can do too much cleaning in some cases. As I reflect back on what the inside of these old engines looked like when I opened them up, I would pull all the covers (lifter and rocker) as well as the oil pan and clean them out. You'll probably see this dried, flakey, ashey, oil residue all over. The pan may have an inch and a half of muddy oil at the bottom. Wash the insides down with a paint brush and a gallon of diesel fuel. Replace the tin with fresh gaskets and then give it that overhaul in a can treatment.
    I hope this diatribe will help you get you closer to a reliable cruiser.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Free up the heat riser ... ideally, a set of '41 -'42 dual manifolds is what you need.
    Don't dump any of that "clean out your engine'' stuff in there. You bust all that 7 decades of muck loose and it won't go a hundred miles before trouble begins.

22. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Supper nice car will keep a eye on this post

23. 302 the motor is a very low mile motor and very clean internally the heat riser works perfect. .. I'm building a new manifold for it also.

Telekenfun I think I have it narrowed down to it being the starter or an issue with the factory vaccum operated choke. As for the motor it is very clean inside as it was rebuilt before I got it, only has a few k miles on it.. I'm going to go to 12 volts soon to that should help..

As for pismo, what a blast! Car drove amazing we had a blast! It was a hit at the show people were all over it and it's originality. We cruised all around town I even took it down on the beach, through Avila beach, onto the port San Luis pier, also on top of pervert point that overlooks a nude beach. (No pics of the beach) .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I still have some work to do on the paint but it's a hell of a lot better than it was and it buffed out really nice! I'm really diggin hoe the car sits now on the new 6.70-15 with my 52 Buick hubcaps. I think I need to lower the front end about an 1/2" to sit right with the 4" blocks in the rear. I need to go through my wheel stack and see if I have another matching wheel to because one of my rears isn't straight anymore. Fun successful trip. Next I plan to keep working on the paint, fix the rotten wood in the doors, convert to 12 volt, and start building a manifold. Also somewhere in there get the glass replaced and seat redone.

Here is a pic of my uncles 31 5w[​IMG][​IMG]also a sweet wagon that was painted by Winfield.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  24. dualquads

dualquads

stunning car, truly stunning !

25. 'Mo

'Mo

If this ain't livin' the good life, I'm yo' Mama!

[​IMG]

26. Those 52 Buick hubcaps look great on it.

27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Love your uncle's car.

28. Top hit of 1936 from Billie Holiday circa 1936 port San Luis pier

waxhead and Stogy like this.
  29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^I love it!:D......the music and sepia tone film is a really nice touch!!!....I find I'm nodding my head in much enjoyment of the presentation.....it all fits! Nice job man!!!;)

30. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Cool car, great thread.

Thanks