Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The LeGrange Produce Tribute Truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Aug 1, 2014.

1. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Nice build! I like you idea on the terminal strips but I was curious as to how you plan on protecting the connections. Since this will be your daily, I am sure it will not be exposed to nice warm dry days all the time. Keep it up!

Roothawg likes this.
  2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D That Murphy fella seems to pop up every where.Looking good.Please keep the updates coming.Did Momma say"I told ya so"?:rolleyes:
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Roothawg likes this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Actually, the weather here in OK is pretty dry. We have 2 seasons really: Tornado season and Summer. winter only lasts about 60 days and the humidity here is about 35%. They make a dielectric varnish that is brushable or a sprayable. I kinda figured I might do something like this.
    http://www.directindustry.com/prod/...eb&utm_content=SimilarProduct&utm_campaign=CA

4. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Gotcha. That may be sufficient for that type of climate. Up until just a couple of years ago I lived with northeastern Indiana winters so that is where my mindset usually is. Other climates can definitely be better on things like this. Thanks.

Roothawg likes this.
  5. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looking good brother. Before ya know it you'll be pulling I to my driveway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

This is a great common sense build!

Roothawg likes this.
  7. That wiring looks clean. We have a full hookup camper pad, when I am ready I am hiring you to do my truck. Pull that ol Avalair up here and work for a few days!

Roothawg likes this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Man, that sounds like fun T. I love Custer State Park and that whole area. We may just do that some day. Be careful what you ask for.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Remember. We live 5 minutes outta the Park! In fact, going to take the kid and wet a line later.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

IMG_3303.JPG
    Mama Root got out there yesterday and installed the floor panels permanently and we threw some Fat Mat Xtreme down to help quieten down this pig.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Welp, I feel somewhat accomplished. I repaired the grille rot down in the lower chin area, finished the bodywork and got it in primer. All after church today. Not bad. Tomorrow I'll throw some color on it and see how bad it bleeds through. Primer/sealer ain't what it used to be these days.
    IMG_3307.JPG IMG_3309.JPG
    This was really a good grille. I bought it from a hamber probably 10 years ago and he didn't break it off in me. I think I paid like $200 for it plus greyhound freight. I'm glad I bought it when I did.

I hadn't planned on painting 2 grilles for 1 truck, but alas that's the luck of a LeGrange.

bengeltiger, drdave, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Kyle Ambrose sent me some pics of my newly striped air cleaner and restored 1935 Oklahoma Tag. It makes the rest of the truck look bad.

1935tag.jpg air cleaner.jpg

I put power on for the first time this week. A lot of stuff not working. Fixing it one thing at a time. The whole stereo amp deal isn't working. I'm sure it's something I have done. Since this is my first amp, it's a vertical learning curve.

I wrestled with the Vintage air unit. There's virtually no room in the cowl and I will never use one of those 4 way bulkhead adapters for the firewall again. I have fought and fought the lines etc. The 4 way square ones are like a friggin jigsaw puzzle. If you don't tighten things in the right order, you can't get on the fittings. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I screwed up the threads on the fitting on the evaporator due to the hoses being so short and rigid. Sort of cross threaded one. I ordered the tdie to chase it. I wonder if I am the only one that crap like this happens to?

Pics later.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  13. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

I am glad I'm not the only one who goes two steps forward, one step back! I am planning to put air in my 37, what would you do differently now? Separate the lines to individual bulkhead fittings? Your way ahead of me so you can be the one to let us know what didn't work.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would use one of the straight across bulhead connectors. I ended up using a 1" crows foot and a 12" extension to assemble it. I talked to Vintage Air today, they said they assemble those in a furnace where all the solder melts at the same time. Of course they do. I ordered a 7/8-18 die and I am hoping that works. If not, what's another $200? Who needs food anyway?

NoSurf likes this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

IMG_3312.JPG
    This needs no caption.

loudbang likes this.
  16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Hey Root, was by your place on Saturday (granddaughters birthday) but had the mother in law with us so didn't stop. Truck is looking good, and yes the three or four vintage air systems I have worked with are hell in close quarters. The one I put in our '61 econoline shop truck looked about like your pic but I didn't have a firewall to run through. Routed lines down the front door jamb.
    The units seem to work OK but I seriously am thinking about an under dash MK5 unit if the Buick doesn't sell and I build it.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  17. gonmad

gonmad

The breather looks awesome Root!!

Roothawg likes this.
  18. The plate and air cleaner looks great! Sorry to hear about the struggles with the lines and bulkhead on the AC unit....real sorry, cuz that's my task for today. I'm certain my hoses are about to look much the same as yours. Didn't even think about getting in there to tighten the hoses....I will now. Fortunately, I have not cut any holes yet for the bulkhead, but I have tried 3 different shapes to fit the space I have. :/

Roothawg likes this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, a lot has happened in the last few weeks.

I always tend to set up my own imaginary deadlines, then thrash to meet these self imposed deadlines. My goal is to make it to the NW Arkansas Hot Rod Hundred on June 11. I would like to have some time to shake it down prior to that 4 hour voyage, but that never happens with me.

Since, I am driving this every day, I figured I better add seat belts. The problem is these cars were never intended to have seat belts. I started looking for a place to mount a retractable belt. Behind the seat there was a bracket that used to house a flimsy cross brace. I removed the cross brace a long time ago. I figured I should try and finish up under the seat, so I could get the interior in. My stereo experiment hasn't worked out like I had expected, so I am moving on until my stereo buddy has some free time to see what is wrong with my setup.
    IMG_3330.JPG
    I made some plates to sandwich the bracket.
    IMG_3324.JPG
    I ordered a generic retractable seat belt from Julianos. I reversed the belt from the normal mounting direction.
    IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3326.JPG
    The wife laid out the carpet and sewed up a shifter boot out of the leftover materials from the door panels. Got the shifter mounted and since I don't have the equipment to bind the carpet. I did what all po folks do. Cover it with a sill plate. That pretty much hides the loose edges.
    IMG_3333.JPG
    Here's a shot of the completed interior. It turned out just about the way I envisioned it.
    I wanted a rustic, work truck feel but not the typical cardboard interior that Ford would have normally installed.
    IMG_3331.JPG
    One thing I had to do was to figure out a better latch for the glove box door. Although mine is more of just an access cover now, the spring tab was missing and I don't think they sell new ones. They were sketchy at best, they tend to rattle around. I bought a $2 cabinet latch and epoxied a striker to the inside of the door. This provides a positive lock now and no rattling. Kinda cheesy, but it is what it is.
    P IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3335.JPG

20. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Your interior looks perfect. Simple, complete, comfortable but not over done. Some make their's so nice I'd never feel like I could drive anywhere.

21. You done with this yet!? ;)

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I appreciate that.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

T, I am burned smooth out. Trying to get it running by Thursdayish.

24. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I was looking at your pic of the lines through the firewall. There are 90 and 45 degree fittings available to make that go a lot easier. I have a assortment of them that I bought on ebay.

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I have probably 20 left over. Nothing really makes it any better. I think I may have hard lines manufactured to help clean it up.

26. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Really like the interior. I always use the individual bulkheads to allow me room to work when installing hoses. At least as much as I can.

Roothawg likes this.
  27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Good job brother. It looks awesome.

Roothawg likes this.
  28. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Keep After it, man......you will prevail......:D:)

Roothawg and bengeltiger like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys. I usually throw my hands up in disgust every night and say I'm done. Then I wake up and start all over again.

Last night I noticed I had play in the front of the one piece oil pan gasket. That tells me I bought the thin instead of the thick, so off the pan comes today. It's always something.

30. Hang in there Chris....it's darkest before the dawn. ;)