Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

"Ran when parked." ?

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  2. Hahaha termites really like Chevrolet wood. It's a rare food these days for em.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Got a package in the mail yesterday from a hamb member. Enough Packard 440 wire and 8 rajah ends to finish the wires. Thanks MR.VAIL. I'm getting closerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. image.jpg image.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Runnin shine like this.
  4. image.jpg image.jpg Here's my off set gen mount and fan mount I just got today. Looks pretty cool for 20 bucks.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. image.jpg image.jpg One down one to go. Cleaned right up with EPA approved cleaner... I don't know why it smells like gas:rolleyes:Now I'm all :confused: I got the old seals out and started to make my new seal insert tool. I have to shut down for the night so tomoorow I will finish the tool and hopefully get it back together and get the brakes on radias rods torque tube so I can put it back on the ground and get it out with the tires on so we can get a side money shot....

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. saltracer219

saltracer219

Glad to be able to help.....in my opinion, a very worthy project

paintslinger805 likes this.
  7. image.jpg Picked this up today at a local car swapmeet just wondering if it will work for my car. It came off a 36 five window really nice car but the guy switched to alternator. Is there differences when it comes to these. Can I use it on my 59 series motor???? I hope I can run it I payed 25 bucks so hopefully...

8. Yes that will work on your engine, I run a fan mount generator on my 59ab. You will just have to offset it and will loose the ability to run the fan on the generator if you are going to run that 4x2 or a super dual.

Runnin shine and paintslinger805 like this.
  9. Thanks mike, I just didn't know if there was a difference in years of generators. Or if they are all the same from 32-48. Didn't know if they got better as the years went up, like better housing, or bearings ect ect. I do have the off set setup to run a super duel also.

10. titus

titus

cut up that generator and make it a idler for the fan then find a 41-48 2 brush gen and external regulator. ill find a pic of my set up

11. So they went from one brush to two brushs later on. So they are the better ones I see. I have a couple just might need rebuilt that's why I was hoping to run this one I know the guy and the car it came off of so I will rethink the generator thing. Thanks Titus.

12. I started working on the wires last night MR. VAIL thanks again they are looking pretty cool.

13. 97

Rebuild generator is simple do it yourself stuff, clean, check continuity and insulation then paint, replace bushes , bearings, brushes and turn the commutator, easy 12v conversion for flathead hot rod ..... use a late fifties generator and regulator with the front bracket from a 42-48 generator. cut the extra mounting ear off the late generator rear bracket and clean it up to look like it was never there... job done, it's a bolt up.

14. I like that idea and will use it later down the road, as far as this car I will be keeping it 6 volt. I really want to see and feel the car the way my grandpa did. Or at night time barely see...:D

15. 97

I kinda knew that would be your answer even as I hit the "post reply" button... :cool: I have been there and I didn't like what I couldn't see, and that was while I had younger eyes..:D

16. 59fordyfairgalax500

59fordyfairgalax500
    from York, PA

I couldn't agree more, at least a documentary about this. I sent our friends over at Motorweek an E-mail to see if they would be interested in doing a feature. I can't wait to see you and your grandfather riding in this thing! It took me 18 years after mine passed to get my old Ford on the road.

Scott Mannion likes this.
  17. 10-12 weeks, not to bad for a poor guy. Hopefully by week 20 or so it will be done. Over 38000 views on this thread and only a hand full of guys willin to help out with sellin a few parts here and there. That's not why I started the thread but damn. I'm very appreciative of the guys that are willing to help out, and they will always be apart of this car. I said long ago I wasn't looking for hand outs just help with locating what I need. I think I would rather do a documentary on guys collections of parts and how cool they look hanging on their walls. It amazes me that parts look better on walls than on cars. But hey that's not gonna stop this guy... I told Wyatt this morning I was gonna stop the thread so everyone stops starring at my body. It's making me feel uncomfortable...:oops: :p I'm taking the rest of this week off and then the hole week before fathers day off to do yard work;) :D Also have to get my ice chests nice and clean for the Lars.

Scott Mannion likes this.
  18. Oh... come on! the yard will still be there!:D

19. titus

titus

not the best pic, this was on a customers car, ill get a pic of my tomorrow, this is only 3 twos so there is more room, i squeezed mine in front of my 4x2.

and actually the early generators had 3 brushes, so technoligy moved forward and they only used two. i generally convert all my cars to 12 volts cause i always want my motors to start and its hard to find a good quality 6 volt battery.

downsized_0313122055a.jpg

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. F-head

F-head

if you do find an edelbrock regular high rise
    then get yourself an 81 A generator . its 2 brush and uses the big bearing in the front to support the fan. used in 38 and 39 standard only.
    find a 32 V 8 fan. then you dont need any offset stuff
    makes a real clean single belt setup and uses a normal voltage gegulator

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  21. You got one???

22. F-head

F-head

there is a repop thickstun pm 7 on here for sale for 450
    seems like a good deal
    they and the edelbrock regular look similar

23. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Yeah, the guy parked it and ran.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  24. One thing on the rear - hopefully you kept the old gaskets that came off of it - and know which ones go one one side versus the other. You can then mic their thickness and know which ones of the new kit to use on each side (at least as a starting point). If you're lucky, you won't have to change gaskets to modify the contact pattern.

Generator- there are lots of options . . . I'd base it on what parts you have that you know work - or not. Ask your gramps whether or not he ran an early 3 brush generator (like you show) - with a cut-out . . . or a later one with a voltage regulator. This may help you decide which way to go. Even if you don't have the correct hi-rise/vintage manifold to start, you may want to have this old generator already setup so you can use it when the time comes. Personally, I like the look of a generator and a cut-out. If you want a better setup than a cut-out, there is a cool product that has a voltage regulator inside what looks like a cut-out, costs about $65, but worth it.

I have ran the original generator on my 32 for a couple years - keeping the car at 6 volts. I recently swapped the headlight bulbs over to 35 watt halogen units (so I can have some decent lights) . . . the generator can't quite keep up with the lights on. So - I've had a custom generator built by Whitney . . . expensive, but the alternator core they use puts out enough to power my lights and not be at a discharge. Just some things to think about from a safety perspective! I know you want to stay period correct - just make sure you have good lights to protect you, your gramps and the car. :)

25. Ya dale I did mic the pinion shaft backlash before I tore it apart. It was within specs so I just marked the old gaskets and put them aside. I figured that would be ok so I'm glad you said something it's nice to know I'm thinking in the right direction. The backlash was about .007 on the pinion so I was just gonna clean seal and reassemble. The rearend came out of a really nice low mileage car for a Columbia 2 speed so I just wanted to reseal it and check it just to make sure and she's pretty nice inside. The only car I ever had a generator on was my early vw bug. I drove the hell out of it so I did change it to an alternator. As far as these early ford generators I still need to learn alittle more about them. The one I just got looks cool to me and now when you say cut out what does that mean? I see guys put voltage regulators on their firewalls little black ones and the one I have has alittle round housing and I'm guessing that's what you are talking about. Is this one internal regulator or is that round thing it? I hope this is not a lame question. I remember my other grandpa teaching me how to polarize my vw generator but that was about 20 years ago and now I have forgot how to do that. I remember using a piece of wire and jumpin it from one thing to another. Thanks again dale talk to you soon.

26. I want to say the terminals on my vw had letters and not + & - but hell I can't hardly remember last week.

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

"Too many beers, too many years" is what my paint mentor always said.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. To many years huffing paint and bondo dust for me. I'm not old enough yet to say I drank to much. Lol :confused::confused: I'm having a big beer now. I have little elves that work on the car when I'm sleeping. But they are doing yard work now. ;)

29. Send those dam yard ELVES may way as I sure can use them while I am gone....

30. HELL! I am 76 and still not enough beers and years........You are only as young as you feel.