Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wanna help me build this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, May 25, 2016.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Just a side note a 241 or 270 needs 28" to clear the valve covers. To clear the distributor that would be 20" in front of the firewall. exhaust sits under the heads so the valve covers are the widest part unlike most engines. With aluminum intake and chevy water pump there weight is about the same as a SBC.

2. adam401

adam401

Chop will fuck that car up real quick. Perfect for a lowrider bomb. Honestly when your gonna go through the work of building a car ground up for me it's either coupe or roadster.
    Maybe sell that 4door and buy something that's worth more when it's done. People will say that the value doesn't matter as long as you like it but they're wrong. Your first build you'll see how much work it takes. Put that effort where it counts. I'm not bashing your car it's cool but I wouldn't build it. Good luck

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. solo_909

solo_909

I hear ya but this has been an idea I've had for over a year and if I don't do it my way it will drive me nuts until I do. I'm not really looking for a return of investment just more a learning experience to build future cars. I appreciate your advice though.

Late to the Party likes this.
  4. OK...Most here are telling you not to chop it but ultimately it's your car and you seem to like the idea so I thought I'd give a view of what it would look like. Here's a rendering with a mild chop lowered a bit, I lowered the stock headlights and not being a fan of patina (Yeah I know it's only original once)I gave it a shiny paint job. Hope this helps you to better see your vision...

11.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  5. solo_909

solo_909

Wow that's looks awesome!! I think the chop just takes it to the next level. I understand the traditionalists views but I didn't grow up in that era. I still have a love and passion for old cars. I just want to take it a little further than maybe what they did back in the day.

Could you chop it and lower it without the paint job so I can see what the comparison is?

You rock!!

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. OK...Here ya go

no paint2.jpg

7. Wish I was closer check out my build thread below I am building a 37 Plymouth sedan I will be subscribed and I will be available to answer any questions I can along the way. Hobo Jim

solo_909 likes this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Step back. How much of this can you do on your own, I realize you're asking for assistance, that only goes so far -running out of funding or favors.
    I like the advice of getting it running, driving, see if you still have money and desire left. You need a good interior for a driver cruiser, got any frinds or family that can help, if you farm out interior it's a lot of cash. Seat frames from minivans may fit well and the covers can be carefully taken apart to use as patterns.

Small block, OD trans, rear, consider a Dakota as a donor if you can find one with a 318. A/C may also be able to be swapped and conceal the controls. I'm not sure about the rear width compared to your car.

Keep it simple to get it moving under its own power. Read up on CLR, the pitting looks pretty heavy. I like the look of the car as is, just a slight drop and clean and polish everything, derust and wax heavily. Keep the fenders and all the chrome. There's not much paint left to try to save though.

I really like the car, can be a great build mild custom updated resto whatever you wanna call it. Please don't strip all the chrome, flat black or over chop it. If you decide on a chop, do it later on after its running.

solo_909 likes this.
  9. From an old fart ... I would find a donor car that has the engine / transmission combination I like including air . If you are lucky the rear end will also work. Your friends 440 needs to be complete
    or it will drive you nuts finding brackets and bolts to make every thing mount up.

10. squirrel

squirrel

A friend has a 42 Dodge that was built with a 60s 383 donor car. What a mess!

:)

solo_909 likes this.
  11. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

In that 3/4 view that Moose did, it looks great!, but seeing a full side view would help also.

To see the profile with the length and chop, it can be better determined whether it is too much chop or just enough before it's full of clowns.

solo_909 likes this.
  12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The chop is up to you, but consider your abilities and that of anyone who is willing to assist you, as you don't want to ruin that car.
    As far as a powerplant, do lots of measuring and be careful in heeding the advice of those who have no "skin in the game".
    A friend has a '36 Dodge sedan, and wanted to use a 440 Magnum wedge he had already, and full fenders also. He and another friend of mine did the installation of the engine, but the damn thing is so wide and the width between the fenders so narrow that they had to do a pretty heavy engine setback, IIRC, in the neighborhood of 8-10", in order to get it between the fenders without notching them. All those mid 30's Mopars had a very narrow engine compartment, as they all had straight sixes in them.
    I know another guy who is using a Buick V6 in a '46 Pltmouth because those are 60* engines and quite narrow.

BradinNC and Hnstray like this.
  13. It might be good to get an estimate of the cost to chop the car from a couple of body shops. This will give you an idea of the magnitude of the job if you intend to do it yourself. As for me, I like full height tops. Whatever you decide please don't get half way through the job and abandon it.

Charlie Stephens

Moondog13 and solo_909 like this.
  14. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

Don't chop it...Shorten it !!...LOL!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Moondog13 likes this.
  15. automotive afterbirth?

16. A quick rendering of the side view with a chop

chop side.jpg

solo_909 likes this.
  17. ^^^^^^^looks cool^^^^^^

set the front wheel back an inch

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

3 words. Enjoy the journey.

19. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

I hate Journey.

Thanks Moose for that side shot.:)

It's close, maybe there's a clown shoe look there, but it's not too bad.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, no one does, since they got that Philipino singer. But, maybe, just maybe, the OP needs the challenge. I mean, how cool would it be to see a thread asking how to put a BBC into this ride? Or maybe a freaking HEMI?

21. solo_909

solo_909

I dig it, looks good. Thanks!

22. BradinNC

BradinNC

Good advice above about under hood dimensions vs engine dimensions. Get a notebood, measuring tape,etc and measure/document everything before you make your choice. If you are dead set on a chop, you might want to drive a chopped car to see if you would like it.
    Looks aren't everything. Handling and drivability make the car enjoyable.

23. Beautiful car! The hood sides and dash alone are worth the price of admission.
    The black "resto rod" in post #24 is my fav. Modern drive train if ya plan not keeping the original engine. Like others have declared, I wouldn't chop it either. Probably lower it a bit.
    Keep us posted..........................

24. elba

elba

Slant 6 engines can be picked up cheaply . The pulled trucks a lot heavier than that car weighs ..

25. BodyworkByLuke

BodyworkByLuke

upload_2016-5-30_22-9-47.png heres what i think, quick photochop. www's, bagged, flush mount skirts & a gentlemans haircut.

26. solo_909

solo_909

That looks insane with that big of a chop!!

27. Chops done right are for people with mad skills or plenty of money. Don't screw with chopping it. You will regret it.

Get it running and have fun.

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have a 36 Plymouth 2dr flat back sedan [no trunk] . It is chopped 3 inches , very similar to the moose's renderings and I think it improved the flow and profile of the car. But then aside from hard tops or convertibles I think anything looks better with a reasonable chop, usually no more than 3 inches. Even my Merc is 3 in front and 4 at the rear. And in her case I leaned the windshield back an inch so the windshield is only 2 inches shorter than stock. I prefer moose's painted version best, maybe add the skirts from the low rider version posted earlier. And always remember that any help you get from others is always worth their time and effort. pro shops capable of doing this kind of work will charge from 50 to over a hundred dollars an hour!! and that's man hours so if 2 or 3 guys are working on it at the same time it could add up to a 150 to 300 an hour real fast. So budget according to those guide lines even if some one is working with you in your garage. I am sure you wouldn't want to work for nothing and we should not expect others to either. Good luck and have fun!! I would post pictures of my 36 but this old lap top does not cooperate and I would rather spend money on my cars than the latest greatest computer crap !! Lol Larry

29. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Hell, that thing got scalped!!!

30. hobiehunter

hobiehunter

5.2 (318 ci) or 5.9 (360 ci) out of a 94/95 dodge truck with the 46 rh trans. The truck engine has a rear sump oil pan and the ac compressor and alternator are already mounted top center on engine. No special brackets. The 46rh trans is a bit bigger than the torqueflite, either way some x frame modifications might be needed.