Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** MAY 2016 BANGER MEET - MAY THE 4 BANGER BE WITH YOU ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2016.

1. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

I got an email back from Charlie yapp I guess that is the right plug seems real short to me going to look into getting a plug with more reach

Sent from my SGH-I317M using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Thanks! That's beyond words. Good to see the real deal.
    And it was a pleasure to meet you, Sir, as least by video.
    That BMW is bad-ass.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  3. Yes, been thinking of an O/D.

4. 97

Tim,

According to those in the know ...i.e. the Model A banger researchers, the USA 4 banger Model C never existed , at least not in Fords records. Lots of discussion about that on Fordbarn http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/modelcmyth.htm.
    Ford did make a "Model C in the USA...in 1903 and again in about 1937 in " in jolly olde England, but it was different to the 28-34 Ford four cylinder built in the USA.
    That said the motor you have IS a 32 or later motor and likely has a counterbalanced crank.
    No doubt you have already found out there are differences between the A and B ( later) motors.
    Check here http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71899&highlight=Ford+Model+C

A couple of thoughts,
    that head you borrowed will fit your motor but you will need to use a Model A waterpump or a later ( 2-) V8 pump with an adapter.
    You live pretty close to Jim Brierley..., cam grinder and one of your fellow land speed gurus , you should buy a copy of his book ..."4 bangers and me . " http://www.hotforhotfours.com/advertisers.htm
    He wrote this , http://www.autonetnewengland.com/in...ents/to-our-fellow-gearheads/253-model-a-tech but his book is obviously more comprehensive.
    rather than an overdrive and open drive conversion with all the attendant suspension issues, check out Crazydaddio's adapter for a T5 trans which keeps the closed drive ( torque tube) . Its listed on the first page of each month Banger meet ...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256226
    Go along for a ride here

Lastly if you really want power, you could adapt a Y block head to your banger.... I don't know if it's been done before , but I do know Oldsmobile, ChevySB and OHC Suburu heads have been adapted...look around the pits at
    your next land speed event.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    mctim64 likes this.
  5. 97

As I said before maybe the head has not been machined correctly? Are the plug seats deep enough in the head? The plugs certainly are too high up inside the threaded part, if they are correctly located to the design of the head ( piston interference?) then I would suggest removing the threads bellow the plugs ..by die grinding and blending the opening into the combustion chamber. As they are there is a high likelihood of hot spots and pre-ignition, detonation and possibly running on after the ignition is turned off, all of which will damage your engine. Did you send Mt Yapp a picture of the issue?

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I have seen a Lionhead that was too thick at the distributor boss ( by over .090 ) and on hard acceleration's The distributor would jump out of time.

So some spark plug holes not drill properly is definitely not out of the question.

7. Jiminy

Jiminy

8. 97

I just linked to it now directly from your post with no issues , I have excellent antivirus . I do block all popups , and there are some on that site, which I get a message saying I blocked them, but I just ignore it. I think I found the site through the banger links you list at the beginning of every banger meet. BTW some of those are not working properly...e.g. the one you attribute to Flat Ernie goes to Paul, and the archive stops during 2014.

9. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Just fired my b motor on a cast iron header and stock head w 2 81s. I'm thinking it's going to be too much carb for 4.9 to 1. Carbs are stock 81 specs. Going to try a block off plate tomorrow. Is there anyway it will work w both carbs or am I chasing my tail. I have to change head gasket also so a thomas head will go on it I'm pretty sure. Hopefully I can get it to run better w more compression. Am I on the right track

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

97 ............... I see you don't like the down shift . all comes in time . would have liked to see the car tho .........

11. 97

Hey I was confused for a minute there! Nah it's not mine, it's Crazydaddio's T roadster pickup, with the torquetube T5.
    [​IMG]

12. 29 Speedster

29 Speedster
    from Colorado

image.jpeg
    I runt two 81's with a "B" engine, a Thomas Head. Runs well, mine produced 77HP at 3400 RPM on a Chassis Dyno at the Speedster Meet in Lincoln last June.

13. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

29 speedster that sounds like it will be close to my setup. Can you share some of your tune up with me. Also is it a 7 to 1 thomas.

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Brakes are for slowing the car down and the engine is for making the car go fast. In my opinion , using the engine to slow the car down puts undue stress on an already weak rear crank flange. That is why I don't down shift.
    Your results my vary.

CrazyUncleHarry and BCCHOPIT like this.
  15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464507875.933488.jpg
    New Header for Rob

ROCKER77, waxhead and Crazydaddyo like this.
  16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I'm interested to see how that collector works!!!!!!
    Have you run one before?

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

No .... The guys at cone engineering helped me with the size and taper but it was all a educated guess on his part. I have one more set up for my new header.

The only thing I can tell you that there is a difference across the rpm range going from my lake header to my. 4 into. 1 so this should only help.

My header will be closer to equally length and timed to the firing order going into the collector

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464523431.750251.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464523447.768197.jpg
    Picture angle plays with your eyes they are both 21/2" collector
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464523519.890694.jpg

waxhead, Crazydaddyo and ROCKER77 like this.
  18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

still doing nice work I see .

downshifting : just sounded like stock 3 speed

your 55mph top speed could be a gearing related it will take a little more hp than stock to carry 3:27 gears ... 3:54 is good tho

BCCHOPIT likes this.
  19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464563900.576221.jpg
    They look better with some color

ROCKER77 likes this.
  20. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

It sure something to look into I sent with a picture I got a part number from yapp that is a direct cross over for the auto lite 404 any one out there with a R2P chime in on this ?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. 97

What was the actual plug recommended? I have seen some crossoer charts with about 10 plugs from one manufacturer ( several of them actually) that are supposed to be the same as an Autolite 404. Personally I cannot see how that many variations from any one manufacturer can crossover to one plug from Autolite...it all seems like an approximation .
    See this one
    http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/AUTOLITE/404
    I know a guy here with a Riley head, pretty sure it is not a C.Yapp head, I will ask him what plugs he uses .

22. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

R44xls acdelco a 14mm 3/4 reach

23. 97

OK I spoke to the guy here his motor is a 4 port so different, but he says he uses Autolite same reach etc but it has an extended tip...he couldn't remember the number and his rod wasn't close.
    I used Autolite's website to crossover...two different Autolite charts are saying R44XLS crosses to Autolite 65 or XS65. R44XL crosses to 404. The difference is that the 404 is a short tip plug and 65 has a medium extension on tip. I don't think the tip extension will make up for the amount that there are threads showing below the plug in your head, but it may put the electrode close to the piston....I would still remove those sharp edges below the plug if nothing else is done.
    http://www.autolite.com/media/11790/auto_crossref_0311_0.pdf
    http://www.autolite.com/Productfinder/Home/PartInterchanges?strForSearch=r44xls

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  24. What size are tour intake valves? If you decide to run off on carb, I have a single burns you can try..

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Brakes are for slowing the car down and the engine is for making the car go fast

all in how you were raised ................ just opinions

26. Jiminy

Jiminy