Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gold mine moment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shown50, May 27, 2016.

1. shown50

shown50

So I hit the jack pot yesterday, I had emailed a guy from Craig'slist about some Holley carbs from the early 70s(I know not HAMB friendly but just wait). When I met him to get the carbs he told me I should come check out the house that he had just inherited from his wife's father that passed away and he was in over his head with car parts. Now like everyone has I have been on these wild goose chases before without ever coming to fruition. When I drove up to his house that butts a huge mountain only 4 miles from my house I swear I was hearing banjo music but I pressed on with the hope I was going to find something cool in this garage and boy did I. He opens the door and bam 283 engine blocks 327s 350s a 302 Chevy a 400 chevy engine 12 total engine blocks. Heads for all of these cams, cranks lifters bearing rods Pistons all new in boxes from the late 50s early 60s and 70s. He had Holley carbs everywhere edelbrocks 15 quadrajets all with rebuild kits. New old stock gauges lifters bearings basically everything to rebuild a couple of these engines with all original stuff I was blown away. There's a Muncie 4 speed, intake manifolds, air cleaners, piston rods, brake lines everything you could think of. He has TH350s, TH400s freshly polished forged and cast cranks Eriskine? Cams comp cams hi lift camshafts, oil pans, valve covers, piston rings and bearings all brand new from the 60s to 70s. New in box MSD. dist and spark plug wires I'm sure I'm leaving out a ton of stuff I spent over 5 hours writing engine block, heads and other part numbers down. The story goes his wife's father passed away after being given 2 days to live and he is over whelmed with this stuff and wants it gone ASAP. So I called a buddy of mine who owns a local engine building shop, he builds engines for nascar and dragsters we went back over offered a price for everything and will be picking it up Tuesday! Just thought I'd share my first ever gold mine haha let me know if anyone is interested in an engine block we have 11 forsale!

2. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

Good score...my wife often says "what am I going to do with all this car stuff if you die?". I tell her not to worry, all that stuff will find a home real quick once someone finds out that it is available.

czuch likes this.
  3. shown50

shown50

I agree 100% I'm 22 fresh out of college waiting to start law school in the fall so while I'm at my parents house I have my 63 Catalina in one garage bay a HAMB unfriendly 73 Chevy nova hatchback and car parts scattered everywhere and I just keep telling them I'll sell some stuff eventually! (Even though I never plan to)

arkiehotrods likes this.
  4. It would be useful to know where you are located. Your profile page says nothing.

5. shown50

shown50

Sorry I thought I had put that in it! I am located in Knoxville Tennessee home of the Tennessee Volunteers!

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. indyjps

indyjps

So what's the plan, keep a few and flip the rest. Become an engine collector? I am an engine collector, down to 12 or so blocks from over 30. I can tell you first hand there's better things to hoard than sbc's, it really Sucks moving a garage full of them.

Keep a few for future and pass the rest on, use the $ towards a project or to finish what you got.

When you get out of law school put up a giant building then start the hoard.

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hey ! I collect engines .... they're fun to look at, & don't take up much room.

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. Dibs on the Muncie.... sort it out and place classified ads here.

10. shown50

shown50

The guy that I brought in to help me kinda figure stuff out builds nascar engines and I use to be friends with his son. He is going to take all the blocks besides the best 350 4 bolt main and I already got a forged 327 crank from the pile ready to roll and he is going to build me up a motor bored .030 over with flat top pistons. Everything will be coming from this hoard and he said it should be high compression good on pump gas and will have 400 HP I'm not sure if that's at the flywheel or rear wheels were going to pick everything up on Tuesday!

11. shown50

shown50

Sorry that is coming home with me for the staggering price of 35 dollars

czuch likes this.
  12. shown50

shown50

I have a quick video of like quarter of what was there but it won't let me post it

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

What cam and heads are you using to get 400 H.P. out of a 327? Ported or not?

14. indyjps

indyjps

I like the plan. Get situated in life before you start piling the stuff up. Moving it around is no fun.

Sounds like your engine guy has it figured out and may have some tricks up his sleeve. Give us some engine build details, sbc threads get lots of action, opinion, and are alway entertaining.

Post pics when you load it up, we love crusty, rediscovered iron.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

C/List huh!
    Are you sure the seller is the owner?

shown50 likes this.
  16. shown50

shown50

It's a 350 block with a 327 forged crank the rest of what he is doing is still in his head we have all the parts there to do it. He was telling me we'd have no problem getting that out of it

Speed Gems likes this.
  17. shown50

shown50

I will for sure we have a couple hours of moving for sure I spent all day yesterday just going through it before I even called my buddy over there ha

18. shown50

shown50

Yes his wife's dad passed away leaving 30 years worth of piled up stuff

19. rfraze

rfraze

Congrats!! Let me know if I need anything.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Me too!

21. shown50

shown50

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464386882.539405.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464386893.754189.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464386907.073546.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464386917.143031.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464386925.891604.jpg
    These are all I have and it doesn't even touch his collection haha I'll take a bunch when we start moving everything.

pat59 likes this.
  22. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I hope that transmission you showed isn't the one your calling a Muncie 4 speed...because it isn't. Can't even tell if it's a 4 speed. At best it's a Saginaw 4 speed..or a Muncie 3 speed...

23. shown50

shown50

No that one is a Saginaw from a 69 Camaro if I remember right the Muncie is in a different building. This one is on a Camaro subframe with a 350 attached to it! I only took pictures of a couple things and I thought it was strange that subframe was in there so I took a picture to remind myself that it was there haha.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  24. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Ok...that's good...

25. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Are you sure your forged 327 crank is large journal for that 350 block?

Speed Gems likes this.
  26. shown50

shown50

Yes my buddy used his calipers to make sure. I trust everything he says 110%

27. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Is there more than one? I would be interested in buying one.

28. shown50

shown50

There's one more forged one but my buddy took it and the rest are standard but new in box.

29. shown50

shown50

Just got back from dropping the blocks off at his shop. The details for my engine are: 350 4bolt bored .030 over flat top Pistons 327 crank steel forged
    Power pak heads
    Cam hasn't been selected but he said around 260 duration if I remember right.
    10/10.5-1 compression pump gas
    420-450 hp N/A
    Might do a dual quad set up he has the intake for it brand new just something to think about

We bought all of the blocks but the 400 Chevy and left the heads if anyone is interested I can get them to you cheap. I bought all kinds of misc. parts for my engine and other stuff that was all new in box I have a ton of OG sun pro and other brand gauges. Also he showed me around his shop where he builds motors for NASCAR, dirt tracks, truck pulls, dragsters, pretty much anything you could think of. Also he showed me a 58~ish 283 block with no motor mount holes super rare I took pics of it and the guy he is working on it with has a couple more of them