Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Wanna help me build this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, May 25, 2016.

1. solo_909

solo_909

image.jpeg image.jpeg

So I have to say I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I'm not going to let it stop me.

I've been dying to create something myself for over a decade but don't really have the skill set yet and would like to know if anyone would be interested in helping me build my perfect car?

I know some might not like my idea of what I want but that's not the point. The point is to help someone fulfill a dream of building something myself. Something I can say with pride, I did that instead of always buying someone else's dream / build.

My idea is to update the drivetrain, lower it and possibly chop it and then just drive the crap out of it.

This was a barn find so I would love to keep it the way it was found looks wise. I'm willing to pay for your time as long as I can help and soak in any wisdom and talent you have for future projects with my son.

I'm located in Northern California in the east bay.

I appreciate it!

2. I would update the drive train and not lower or chop it. Paint it colors appropriate for that period. My Avatar has a late model 181 Mercruiser Marine, '39 trans, '46-'48 hydraulic brakes so you can tell, right or wrong, where I am coming from. Then "just drive the crap out of it".

Charlie Stephens

Moondog13 and solo_909 like this.
  3. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I'd never chop this.
    I'd put a big straight six in it like a 292 but with a modern overdrive automatic behind it and I'd color sand and polish the piss outta it. If it goes through to the primer or even bare metal in spots, fine. Wax the hell out of it and drive it!

slv63 and solo_909 like this.
  4. study that roof line very well before chopping
    most 4 door chops look a little goofy

5. solo_909

solo_909

Cool thing is it still has the original motor in it.

Attached Files:

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If this is your first attempt keep it real simple. No chop, only slight drop. Drop in a small block mopar or Chevy V8 with an automatic trans. Some company like Chassis Engineering in West Branch IA ought to make a motor mount kit. If they also have a rear end/spring kit, get one of those too. If not, put new bushing/shackels on the original ones and swap in a Ford 8", 9" or appropriate Mopar rear axle. Up front you should see if there are any bolt on brake kits available. If not, look into having the front axle king pins machined to take 39-48 Ford spindles. There are a bunch of differnt brake options of those. I wouldn't touch the body until you got the chassis ready. By then you'll know if you want to keep it rustic or shine it up.

solo_909 likes this.
  7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Neat car! What sort of shape does the original engine seem to be in?If you want to run a six I would definitely look at the 230\250 chev or at the 292 if you can find one.If the original engine is usable it might be cool to rebuilt and modify it -say twin carbs and headers.That would be something you dont see everyday.

8. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Besides being a more door so it would look goofy(as said previously), I would consider the top low enough with the proportions as is. It has beautiful art deco touches and may look clowny instead of elegant.
    But...it is yours. so I'll just quickly look a way.

slv63 likes this.
  9. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I'm in NorCal and in CoCoCounty. I'd be willing to help you out but you must have the garage space and a 240 outlet. I have access to plenty of equipment. I'm doing a similar build on my sons 37 Ford. I love these Plymouths.

10. I'm glad someone finally said what kind of car this is. I thought it might be a MoPar but didn't recognize it. :)

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the idea of Ford in a Ford, GM in a Chevy, and MoPar in a MoPar. Seems to me a 318 would be about right. As mentioned above, don't get too far out there on your first build. A 318 would make this a nice cruiser.

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. solo_909

solo_909

That would be amazing! I see you're in the same town as me also. I have a very small garage.

12. solo_909

solo_909

Yes I agree, it will have a mopar motor in it. My buddy has a 440 he wants to sell me so I'll more than likely go that route.

13. BJR

BJR

How about a picture of the dash? Cool car.

solo_909 likes this.
  14. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

That's a 35 is it not. I've always wanted a 35 coupe.
    Send me a PM and we can get hooked up. I'll give you a shop tour of what I've been doing.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. solo_909

solo_909

image.jpeg

16. solo_909

solo_909

Yes sir, it's a 35. That would be great I'll pm you now.

17. Well, if you can't find a 318, I guess a 440 would do in a pinch. ;)

18. gatz

gatz

that's a neat old Ply. the trim on the hood sides is unique. Is that a '35 ?
    I agree...no chop on that body.

as re driveline, IMO the 440 would be overkill. just a nice SB Mopar would fit the bill.
    Mount a 727 or the OD version; 518 behind it.

A Mopar 8 3/4 rear end would complete the assembly and retain the brand.

Here's an article from Hemmings about the 8 3/4 ....very informative.

http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2004/10/Mopar-8-3-4-inch-rear-ends/1280934.html

Good luck with it and keep us posted.
    gatz

Hnstray and solo_909 like this.
  19. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

I wouldn't chop it. Like said earlier, put a modern straight six in it, with a modern rear end (reasonable gear ratio) clean it, drive it and THEN see what you really (think) you want as a "Finished" ride.
    Would a 258 straight 6 suffice for a Chrysler build?

Hnstray and solo_909 like this.
  20. Glenn S

Glenn S

Measure the windscreen opening. These have a 12" opening before rubber so are a small view of the world already. I often think of putting a late model Chrysler jeep 6 cyl. in my project but Australian rego requirements make it easier for me to run an early sbc.

solo_909 likes this.
  21. Sporty45

Sporty45

That's a sweet barn find! Take your time with it, and more importantly, have fun building it. Oh yeah, keep us posted on it! :cool:

solo_909 likes this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam

The car needs a low deck dodge hemi

solo_909 likes this.
  23. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

To SicSpeed, that is amazing that you would offer to help out this total stranger. It's a relief to know there are still some good people in this messed up world! Kudos to you Sir.
    Paul

solo_909 likes this.
  24. street rod
    35 plymouth.jpg
    mild resto rod
    35 plymouth 2.jpg
    and my favorite, the low rider
    35 dodge.jpg

BradinNC, Moondog13 and solo_909 like this.
  25. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Thank you Paul. Turns out we live in the same small town.

26. solo_909

solo_909

I appreciate all the wisdom and help guys!! I
    Have a lot to think about when building this. I'd hate to cut this all up but I've seriously been looking for one of these for over a year and this is the first one that fit my criteria and was a good price.

It seems like most of the time people just had rusted our bodies and wants double of what I got this for without a title so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

27. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Section it, leave the top alone.

28. Rckt98

Rckt98

I built a 35 Plymouth tudor 35 or so years ago. easy car to build, the chassis is an x member chassis. I used a 350 chev, Muncie. A 1957 ford 9" diff was correct width, used original rear springs. Started out with original tube front end with discs, later changed to a Holden independent front. Body was left stock height.
    Good luck with your project.
    Russell

solo_909 likes this.
  29. solo_909

solo_909

image.jpeg
    But the chop to me looks so badass and mean.

kevinwalshe likes this.