Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The '40/41 Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, May 25, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The '40/41 Pickup

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Deucedreamer, urslo, wedjim and 7 others like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To get us started, here's a few I had ear marked for various reasons of insanity...

Attached Files:

Deuces, kiwijeff, wedjim and 8 others like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. brady1929

brady1929

They are cool.

Deuces likes this.

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

6. This was mine - a 41 Beater with an SBC and a MII front end (Oh no the horrors). I got it in a trade for a 65 Fauxbra that I had traded a Harley for, but couldn't register in California due to title issues. It was a great daily and I drove it everywhere until I decided I needed another AutoCross car. I'd have another in a heartbeat if the circumstance were right. Probably should have kept it - I wouldn't have $35,000 in a Falcon if I had ;)

41 Ford.jpg

Deuces, PONTNAK123, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I built this Forty pickup with a 36 car front end. I love it.
    DSC02802.JPG
    It has a 36 car dash, complete with stainless waterfall, and 36 coupe taillight stands and lights with the stands revamped to fit the 40 pickup rear fenders in the stock location---gas filler is located in driver side taillight stand.
    I tell folks it is a 1936 Ford Super Deluxe pickup.

Deuces, Saxman, Scooterville and 11 others like this.
  8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I recently saw the truck of your dreams/desire/lust.
    That wonderful Dinosaur gold truck is now a black primer beater, it was up at ElMo with a canvas troop carrier top over the bed.

Tman likes this.
  9. belair

belair

Yum. I love those things. Never could latch on to one.

10. 504640

I have never been caught up in the pick-up crazed mania that has captured our hobby, for such a long time now. But I am maniacal about 40-1 Ford Pick-ups. They have been, and still are my favorite PU. I doubt if it is coincidental that my favorite cars are 40 Fords! My favorite 40 PU is one I saw in Mississippi 30+ years ago, sitting in front of an auto parts store. It was chopped and I can't remember the color, probably because it was mundane. It certainly wasn't gold. I distinctly remember the 59 ford steering wheel. The parts store owner also owned the 40 and it was driven and parked there six days a week, and was drag raced on the seventh. It ran a 327/4 speed.
    My question is: "Why do they look so good in Gold?" My favorite contemporary 40 PUs are Scott Robert's and George Poteet's perfect gold examples. But this fresh mostly stock, regal blue truck I saw on ebay the other day will suffice for me and a triumph bobber will fit in the bed:
    rear 40.jpg rear 40.jpg regal blue.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  11. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

I have one now that I sold the roadster, it is a solid truck. The pervious owner used a piece of PVC and duct tape for the tilt column bushing, stuff you would do in your driveway or because you are an idiot ! There are more repairs along those lines, my choice I know. I love the punched rims, gas filler flap and cab vents on Jim's gold hauler. The wide whites just go on a 41/40 PU. I actually sold the Weld draglites that came with my heap, now sports 15 X8 vintiques and Coker wide white rads. I'm on my way and loving every improvement. I attached a before pic of the Blue Pig. P1010003.JPG P1010003.JPG

collector, Deuces, PONTNAK123 and 3 others like this.
  12. I've always loved that '41 Ryan, but I believe in that form in which it appeared in Hot Rod magazine was when Joe Barnett owned it. I've never seen any pictures of when Calori owned it but I know Joe at least added the Studebaker vents and had Winfield paint it. Whoever thought Chevy fenders would look so good on a Ford?!
    Joe-barnett-1941-ford.jpg

Deuces, PONTNAK123, kiwijeff and 6 others like this.
  13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Clever.

Deuces and Hamtown Al like this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, you are right... and that pickup rules.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  15. Deadbird

Deadbird

40/41 Fords are just about the prettiest trucks ever built.

Deuces, Saxman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]definetly one of fords best.

17. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Me and my 41' Ford pickup in 1977....senior in high school, and thought I was the coolest kid around! ---(skinny kid with a golf hat...oh yeah, I was really cool alright!:confused::confused:)--- The truck sat out behind my grandpa's wood shed for 15 years (I paid $250 to him for it), and I got it running just in time for my junior and senior year (sorta-kinda).....I drove it everywhere, then parked it in my mom's garage when I went into the Navy...sat for 25 years, and now that I'm retired...I'm rebuilding it....which is completely in parts & bare chassis, but I hope to have it on the road again within' the next few years....:D;) 022.jpg 062.jpg

18. Bader2

Bader2

19. Bader2

Bader2

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I had this one for a while.
    Note that it has chev rear fenders, too.
    DSC02110.JPG
    june42012iphone 045.JPG

Xdrag48, Deuces, PONTNAK123 and 14 others like this.
  21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I love "early" flames, not so much the wires. This truck looks rad.

[​IMG]

Deuces, kiwijeff and Asphalt Demon like this.
  22. Sorry, no pics -- but a story. When I was in high school, my Grandfolks had the drug store in Hominy, OK. Two doors down was the Western Auto store, owned by "Benny" Benedict and his wife Lucy. Benny drove a '40 Pickup to work every day. It was very faded red, with the circle/arrow Western Auto logo on the doors. And of course it was maintained with Western Auto "Wizard" replacement parts as necessary. It ran like a top. I thought that truck was WAY beyond cool and coveted it more than anyone should. I've thought about the truck many times since. A couple of months ago my curiosity got the better of me, so I called his adopted son (who was a classmate of mine in H.S.) to inquire about the truck. I thought he might have ended up with it after Benny had passed on. The son said Benny had sold the truck in about the late 70's, and said he thought it went to Bartlesville. End of the trail, unless someone here might know "the rest of the story."

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have always wanted a 40-41 pickup, over the last many years I bought 5 of them, selected the best parts and am building this one. It is slated for Washington Blue paint along with cream wheels. The tri-power 283 under the hood, is backed up with a column shift 3 speed. Ryan, your old '39 couldn't have found a better home, than with my friend Dennis. IMG_4717.JPG IMG_6568.JPG IMG_6570.JPG

Deuces, PONTNAK123, tofords and 9 others like this.
  24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I had this one for awhile, too.

DSC00916c.JPG
    DSC00919.JPG

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I remember when this one was in the classifieds... Think it was part of a two car deal or something? I love, love, love that truck...

Deuces and Hamtown Al like this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Damn you for posting that!

Deuces and Hotrodmyk like this.
  27. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

DSC_0453.JPG This is my wifes 41. Drives the hell out of it

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Good memory. Should have kept both!!
    RoddersJournalPicBalt2013e.jpg
    The crowd, as they say, "Went wild!" when I flat towed the gasser behind the pickup.
    Well, they didn't exactly go wild but there was some pointing and miles and miles of big grins!
    Mine was likely the biggest of all!
    I'm glad I made those memories!
    PRICELESS!

Xdrag48, Deuces, PONTNAK123 and 15 others like this.
  29. catdad49

catdad49

Classy trucks, I think they look great in just about any color. That old sedan of yours sure looks Sweet, Ryan!

30. agshelby

agshelby

My old '40ish truck. I'd love to have it back:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1464199405.434837.jpg

Deuces, 55styleliner, bobwop and 8 others like this.