Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Looking good Andy!!

aw1950 likes this.
  2. Just passed another mile stone . All rust out has been repaired and primed . It has been a long 6 years to get to this point . Just put the last panel into epoxy primer . Still lots to get done but that's the big one for sure . I have to post some pictures just so I know it's finally arrived , to be at this point . Starting to look like a car again !

Attached Files:

3. patterg2003

patterg2003

Congratulations on getting all the rust out, putting back what was missing and taking the car well beyond ordinary. I have been following your thread since I joined the Hamb a couple years ago. You took on a real challenge given the car you started with. The work is being done with craftsmanship & a good dash of creativity. If the car could talk it would let you know that it enjoys reaching this milestone more than anyone. Well done.
    Glenn

4. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Congrats on the milestone!
    Its good too see progress in this build.

5. Congratulations Andy! Your car has come a long way. So what's next on the "to-do" list?

6. Thanks for the positive words Glenn . This has been a challenge to say the least . Goes to show what a guy can get accomplished . One part of the puzzle at a time will get it done . It will be spotty progress as now were into the better weather and the challenges of work , household maintenance , vacation time will take a toll on garage time . Stay tuned though as there will be progress none the less . Andy..

The progress feels good Antti , thanks . I know you passed this about a year ago on your own project .

Hey Dave ! Thanks , as for what next ? I think the custom grille opening and tilting hood will be on the agenda . I bought the aluminium for the tilting mechanism a month ago . Stay tuned !

7. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

8. I am creeping along Shane ! Slow but steady, when I get the time .

hacknwhack likes this.
  9. nali

nali

Nice to see this project still going ! :D
    I don't read The Hamb as much as I did before, but hopefuly there are mail notifications :)

Keep on the good job aw1950 !!

10. Thanks Nali . You still have your Buick ? 37 , 38 I can't remember !!

11. nali

nali

38 Coupé. No, unfortunately I don't have it anymore, neither my Rambler Ambassador 66 ...
    Bad thinks happen, and I don't even have my house :)
    I suppose that's life, I'll find another one later.

12. Sorry to hear that ! Better days ahead for sure

13. Here is what I am up to at the moment when I get a minute . Filling in where the Buick Eight mustache trim used to reside . Kustoms is all about changing up a stock appearance so this is the first step . Built a frame first and then I skinned it . There will need to be lots of massaging of this panel to get it right but in the crude form I believe you get where I am heading . Andy..

Attached Files:

14. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I definitely get it...cool.
    question is;
    Will the hood gap be at stock height or will the hood be welded and extended downward to the grill opening?.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

15. Hey there Shane ! The panel will be bolted to each fender . This will facilitate setting fender / hood gap . So you could say it is a header panel . The gap at the hood to new header panel will be 3/16" . Later man , Andy...

hacknwhack likes this.
  16. I was wondering the same thing on the 'header panel'. I know it will look good when you're done.

17. rear after spring spacers installed.jpg rear spring spacer.jpg
    Upon much consideration I have come to the conclusion that the static height in the rear was to low . Put a couple people in the back and 16 gallons of fuel and it would be an ass dragger . Compromise was to fabricate 2 new coil spring hats that moved the body up 2 1/4" . 1 piece of pipe 2" ID to fit over the receiver pad on the differential and then a 2" OD pipe slid into the larger pipe . Welded all around and then made a pad that the pigtail end of the spring sets on . I left another 2" of pipe that you can see up into the spring that you could easily put spacers on to raise the car more if need be after some of the tension leaves the new coil springs . Over all the car sits better , it's more level front to rear . Hard to tell in the picture I know but maybe a new side profile shot in the near future . On another note I have something new coming for the car that you will have to wait on . Picking it up tomorrow . A big thanks to Koolkemp in advance of tomorrow ! Do I have your attention yet LOL !!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  18. Mercury Windshield.jpg Mercury Windshield.jpg Thunderbird Back Seat.jpg Thunderbird Back Seat.jpg

Well this is what Koolkemp brought me up from Nova Scotia . A 49 Mercury windshield opening for my Buick . It's a lot cheaper going with templates for flat glass such as the Mercury's than potentially paying 450.00 for a new windshield , then have it cut and possibly crack it at the local shop , or me , trying my hand at it and breaking it myself . Anyway , that's what custom car building is all about . Taking from one cars design and applying to your current build . Obviously the second photo is of a Thunderbird back seat that I picked up today as well at a local swap meet . Initial fitment looks good . I will have to fabricate a center divider for the space between the two seats . Not that big a deal !

19. header panel.jpg Finally was able to squeeze some time today and finished up the header panel . This is bolted to the fenders with 1/16" washers in between acting as a spacer for the time being . I will eventually put some welting in between. If you are looking at header and see something is outta wack on the left side you would be correct and I will address that small job later . . No pictures but I was ab le to move onto mounting the front seat . This will take some engineering as well . You will see in the coming weeks as I dig into this aspect of the project . Need seat in place before I install the swing pedal for the brakes . Everything has to make ergonomic sense .

LONG likes this.
  20. Looking good Andy! I like the back seat and it'll be cool to see what you come up with to take up the space between the back panels. Your work on the rear spring perches and front grille brow look good. Keep it coming!

aw1950 likes this.
  21. Sweet man!! Lookin good

Live Action!

aw1950 likes this.
  22. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

That season is coming where you start getting things done..
    Looking forward to seeing your progress this year.

23. Yeah Shane I am looking forward to it . My thought is , summer 2017 it's aggressive but could happen so long as life cooperates . How you coming along in the new / old place ?

24. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Just be grateful to have a space to work.

25. Well it's definitely been a long time since I have been able to touch the car but my wait is over . Made short order of blowing the front sheet metal off the car and stripping it to frame . I am off tomorrow and will spend my day in the shop . I want to wire wheel the frame . Prime it and hopefully get to the firewall and start the process of filling unnecessary holes . We will see how far I get !!! Andy...

Attached Files:

26. nali

nali

I hope your garage is heated.
    It's coming ! :)

aw1950 likes this.
  27. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

This is gonna be sweet. Go man go

aw1950 likes this.
  28. Good for you - now get to work! The harder you work the warmer you'll be!

aw1950 likes this.
  29. LONG

LONG

good to see this project moving forward. Andy.

aw1950 likes this.
  30. Big gapping hole is now gone . I used 10 gauge sheet for the area that was an access point for the back of the dash . This area will be accepting the master cylinder / booster shortly and needed to be quite rigid to reduce flex of the firewall . I will cut a new hole for the steering shaft shortly as well ! Little bit at a time !

Attached Files:

Ed hardenburgh and biggeorge like this.