Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage B-bop's Laid off, make the most of it Solo road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bop, May 23, 2016.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

dude's fucking crazy! Wish I was coulda went.

2. sharpmark

sharpmark

Great story so far and thanks for the pictures. Looking forward to more of the journey

3. clem

clem

Keep those photos coming! - Thanks.

4. Big Jon

Big Jon

bloody beauty, travel safely

5. Love the road trip stories and the guys that enjoy driving their rides! Looking forward to the rest of your trip!

6. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

you, sir, have brass ones! A tip of my cap to your spirit!! And thanks for sharing, great reading with my coffee this morning.

7. belair

belair

I hope you havent used up all your luck just getting to Vegas. Looking forward to the rest of this.

8. Thanks for taking us all along! This is what having a hot rod is about. You have a lotta guts. Stay safe out there, and we already know you are having a blast. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

9. RHunt

RHunt

Is that a completely different definition of a trailer Queen? Great pictures and story. Safe travels.

10. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

I'm impressed! I worry just going into town in nice weather. Driving your rig in that snow would scare me to death.
    Be safe. I think your color of car is helping you.
    Thanks for the trip!!

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

BeBop, understand where your coming from. Everyone at times need to get their head together. You Sir have a large pair of Cohones. Good luck.

Gary

12. rfraze

rfraze

You take some great photos. Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I love road trip threads, and this one is starting out great! Excellent writing, and good pics. I'll be keeping track of this one for sure.

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

This is turning out to be quite a trip. I can't wait to see how you get back!

Sent from my SM-G920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. I love these adventure threads! I envy your opportunity to take a big road trip like that. I think I'm due one. Enjoy and be safe! I'll be watching with anticipation of the next adventure.

16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

17. b-bop

b-bop

Thanks HRP, just so everyone knows, because of this comment, they story had a delay, because it caused Pepsi to come rushing out of my nose, and onto my keyboard. :)

brEad and OahuEli like this.
  18. b-bop

b-bop

When the subject of trailer queens come up, I always say, I am the trailer King because I always tow my trailer instead of parking my hot rod on one.

19. b-bop

b-bop

You got that right Larry !

Hey guys, as an FYI, another reason this thread had a delay in updates for a full day, I noticed Blue One was from just up the road from my place and I started looking at his T-RPU build thread and I just could not stop. Congrats to you Larry, the story and documentation is top notch. Hope to see you on the road somewhere this summer. Take a look.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-roadster-pick-up-build-thread.460009/

brad2v and Blue One like this.
  20. b-bop

b-bop

Hey Bill, I am kind of a hot blooded dude and the teardrop is insulated on the top with 1" of Styrofoam. The walls are 3/4" plywood and I usually only sleep with a down duvet. I also carried a spare sleeping bag on this trip as I knew I may run into some cold weather on the way somewhere. No heater, no generator required. I got stuck on top of a mountain on the way home at 9600 feet. It was the only night that I pulled out the sleeping bag for dual layer comfort. I will cover more of that later in the story.

Speedys Garage likes this.
  21. b-bop

b-bop

Thanks everyone for the comments. It is nice to see somebody reading this stuff. So back to the story.

22. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Yes, please, continue. This, at the end, will have been a rewarding experience, it's a nice little adventure. And, hell yeah, I'd drive it all the time if it was mine!

23. b-bop

b-bop

So I finally make it to Vegas in one piece. Car is filthy and my daughter is happy to see my finally roll up to the front of the house. She has two boys and when my wife was down, she had brought my other grandson that lives up here in Calgary down to Vegas to visit his cousins. When I figured I was going down, I told her to leave Braxton in Vegas and I would bring him home with me because he was having so much fun down there.
    I spent a couple days in Vegas before taking off for Scottsdale for the Good Guys show.
    Here are the two oldest grandsons before I left Vegas. Both are real car nuts and love Grampa's Hot Rod. 20151130_120300.jpg

Mtn Goat, brEad, Fordor Ron and 6 others like this.
  24. b-bop

b-bop

Driving from Vegas to Phoenix sure seemed boring compared to the excitement on the way down through the blizzard, but it was nice to just sit back and watch the cactus's go by with the tunes cranked up. First stop along the way was just outside of Vegas in Boulder where there was a COE on the side of the road. I have a '38 Ford project that has been sitting for too long in the shop with little getting done. This truck was nice, and I don't imagine many people miss it while going through town.
    IMG_0611.jpg

There was very little traffic on the road so I had time to do a little Hot Rod selfie while driving.

IMG_0618.jpg

25. Thanks for a great story.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Carry on nice to see you eventually made Vegas and had the sedan washed. Interested to see the rest of the adventure.
    Larry.

27. b-bop

b-bop

I made it to Scottsdale in time to catch the garage tour on Thursday. I think this is one of the best things that Good-guys does at their runs. For guys like me that come into town, it is very cool to zip around and look at hot rod shops and other guys personal toy boxes. Funny story, when I pulled into the line up for the garage tour, I was cleaning up some stuff inside my can and I hear some guy behind me say, "Geez, who left the F@#$in border open again?" I turn around and its Gary Meadors. I laugh and go to shake his hand and he gives me a big bear hug. I had traveled with him and Marilyn and a bunch of guys two years before for a week up in Canada and Washington. He recognized my car and trailer. He really was a "Good Guy"
    The garage tour was pretty cool, but I forgot to charge my phone so I came up a little short in the pics that day.
    Here are a couple though.

Dammmmmmm, this thing was beautiful.
    IMG_0620.jpg IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0623.jpg

Yeah, I know, very OT, but flawless execution. I mostly took the pic for a buddy that is Jeep crazy.
    IMG_0626.jpg IMG_0627.jpg

JalopyJimbo and Moondog13 like this.
  28. b-bop

b-bop

Day two in Scottsdale was spent looking for treasures in the swap meet. There were some good deals and there were some guys that made me wonder if they had legalized weed in Arizona too. :)

If our Canadian dollar had not all of a sudden taken a nose dive, I may have brought this home. It would have looked pretty cool on the front of the teardrop.

IMG_0629.jpg

This truck was nice, 350/700r4, really nice white T&R interior. $20k
    IMG_0630.jpg
    Always wanted an "A" tub. This one had a 231 Buick, TH350. $25k. When I started my A, I originally mocked it up for a 231.
    IMG_0647.jpg

If I had flown down, I probably would have had to take this home. $7900. I really want a Unibody..........one day.
    IMG_0648.jpg
    Cool '37 Panel. $25k. 350/700r4. Would be a nice highway machine.
    IMG_0659.jpg

Love '59 and '60 wagons. Only $17.5. My wife would have my nuts if I showed up in the driveway with this. Ah, who the hell am I kidding, she already has them hanging on the mantle :)
    IMG_0661.jpg

Attached Files:

Texas Drifter and brEad like this.
  29. b-bop

b-bop

A couple more cool items at the swap meet.
    I cannot remember how much this guy wanted for this machine, but it was too much for me. Very well engineered minibike. He had two of them, one folded, and one ready to go. IMG_0655.jpg

Very nice, but at $28k, a little rich for me.
    IMG_0650.jpg
    Airstream trailer was a cooler, very rough construction, but would make cool yard art.
    IMG_0651.jpg IMG_0652.jpg

30. b-bop

b-bop

Saturday and Sunday spent looking at all the awesome rides that show up in Scottsdale. I always enjoy myself in Scottsdale. Lots of the older guys from up here in the Great White North, end up spending as much time as possible in the Valley of the Sun. Who wouldn't want to be there when is snowin', and blowin' back up north of the 49th?
    Took lots of pics, but will only post some of my favorites here.
    IMG_0628.jpg IMG_0632.jpg IMG_0635.jpg IMG_0636.jpg IMG_0639.jpg IMG_0640.jpg IMG_0642.jpg IMG_0643.jpg IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0645.jpg

Texas Drifter, gonzo and brad2v like this.