Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's up with Chris Nielson cams???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rob Paul, Apr 7, 2016.

1. abe e baby

abe e baby

That is a Lie Chris never did Cam lobe design.
    Only copys cams - He new that I studied under Harvey Crane for 16 years.

2. abe e baby

abe e baby

Worked and assisted him in teaching the hi performance class with Dema Elgin @ De Anza Collage - Yes Jerry Cantrell's work is not as good as you want- had him grind 6 lobes for me for OHC and each lobe measured showed where the grinding wheel was backed away from the lobes had to re design all 6- but now have nicer lobes. nad never got my 300.00 back what you see is what you get.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have looked at a couple of cams he did, they were both copies of the Crane HMV lobes. Not that those arent good lobes to copy, but my experience supports this.^^

4. 57linc

57linc

I had a nice meeting with Chris over 20 years ago. I saw his ad in Hemmings and he had, among others, a new cam for my 368 Lincoln. I saw by his phone number that he was only a 30 minute drive from me. He was in the non-descript white cinder block building in a rural area
    with a few late 50's
    fords out front. Picked up the cam and talked briefly. He showed me some Hemi valve covers he had just bought. and then had some other Lincoln engine parts he had for a very good price. He even had some custom push rods made for me by someone in Ore. i think. Now, across the road from where the old building was(at least i sure didn't see it anywhere a year ago), is the new Justice center/Jail/sheriffs Office. And behind it is the parking for the big new shopping center. Such a nice guy. Hope all is well with him.

5. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Still no reply or returned calls. I'll gladly wait within reason if that's what it takes. I'll take a refund too if he's never going to get to it. I just want a cam or a refund. Can anyone that knows him relay that.

6. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Just talked to Chris he is not doing very well but is at the shop today and maybe tomorrow Rob give that man a call!

7. I was going to say he may be under the weather. One good stroke tends to lead to another, at least that has been my experience.

8. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Left another message. Will see what happens.

9. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Yep that's exactly were he is at. Working with a therapist to try to stay functioning

10. Flathead Leo

Flathead Leo

Rob, I spoke with him today as I have shipped him two cams to grind. He is not doing as well as he once was but is still grinding. I mentioned your name and he said he's working on it. I will wait in line. Top of the line grinder. Does not live close to the shop so he gets up there a day or two a week for limited hours due to health. Still the same great guy on the phone. Hang in there, let me know when you get the cam.
    Flathead Leo

11. Well damnit it I hate to hear that and am glad at the same time. Hate to hear he's ill that's a drag and glad to hear that he is not a jerk.

Looks like we roped that goat. ;)

12. Brian Cahoon

Brian Cahoon

Chris Nielson just passed on from his battle with cancer on 12/15/2017. When I spoke with him last week his greatest concern was that he was leaving without having things tied up at the shop. He poured his heart and soul into grinding those cams. He should have quit 20 years ago but he just couldn't leave all you guys and your projects. He's a great man.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

So sorry to hear about Chris. He was always a real pleasure to deal with and seemed like a really good guy. I'm proud to have one of his cams.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. woodypecker

woodypecker

I have his cam in my engine and his sticker on my back window and I will treasure them always.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are two threads going about Chris' passing. This thread seems to be getting more attention. I had posted the following on the other one.. I am only re-posting here to offer further testimony and support to his memory as a good man.

"Several years ago I sent a few Mopar hemi cams to Chris. He was very friendly and returned the reground cams within the time frame he estimated. It was a very pleasant transaction. I extend my sincere condolences to Chris' family and to, no doubt, many friends."

Ray

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  16. sdluck

sdluck