Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's have our own 87th anniversary event for the 36 ford...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I bought the car without an engine or trans or any kind of top in August of 2013 in White Plains, MD and sold it in November of 2013. It had new floors as I recall and it might have been on a different chassis. I remember something about a good prior owner stepping off a curb after lunch (I think) and getting hit by a car or truck. I did do some banging and straightening on the fenders but the car was solid with new floors and firewall. I added a bench seat, too, as I recall. So many cars; so little time... and can't remember squat anymore!!:eek:
    Still having fun, though.;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ..............................Ronnie stepped off a curb in O.C. Md. directly into the path of a truck and perished. He had sold the car at that point already to Jim in LaPlata, Md. who passed in 2010. You must have acquired it from the fellow who was selling his cars and parts to settle the estate for Jim's daughter. The last time that I visited with Jim before his passing, he had over 30 cars in various stages of completion.

chriseakin and bondolero like this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Don,
    That seems to match my recollection of the car's history.
    Thanks for the refresher.
    BTW, the guy I got the car from had a fair sized inventory of car treasures himself. Some were very appealing but our views of their values differed greatly.
    Truly, I just think he couldn't bring himself to part with them. He had driven most of them at one time or another and shared some stories about several of them.
    I would have loved to pried the steel 32 3w from him. A pal preferred a 34 3w.
    Ahh... Opportunities Lost.
    We can't have them all but most of us would like to!!

4. ................If it was who I think it was, I don't doubt that one bit.

5. Did he have this '51 Convertible for sale? IMAGE1.JPG

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    chriseakin likes this.
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I don't remember seeing the convertible and I think I would have if it had been there.

7. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

This 36 5 window coupe was a gift to my brother from my grand father in 1963. The car was complete and in good condition. But being fourteen and brother sixteen we decide to restore it, wanted it to really shine. Two years later this is what she looked like. Not bad for first timers. Brother had a drinking problem and wanted to sell the old coupe and wanted $1800 for it. I was just married and didn't have much money but told him to give me a week to get the money. Well two day into the week he sells the coupe to a stranger in Glendora Calif.(1973-74) The wife and I were heart broken. I have checked on many postings of coupes that looked like our old coupe with no luck of finding it. With any luck some Hamber may have some info.....Great thread. Marks 36.jpg Picture doug 1 028.jpg Picture doug 1 029.jpg Picture doug 1 028.jpg Picture doug 1 028.jpg Picture doug 1 029.jpg Picture doug 1 028.jpg Marks 36.jpg Picture doug 1 028.jpg Picture doug 1 029.jpg

8. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Sorry about my post and the duplication of photos. Not a tech guru...lol

9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Mark,
    Thanks for sharing the coupe. See if you can round up an old registration card or old inspection receipt to get the vin number. Then post the last 4 digits on here to see if anybody has a 5 w with those last four digits? I'm sure the present owner would appreciate the history an you would enjoy learning the car's later history. A win win for all!!

10. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks Al. I have the transfers slip from the DMV with the chassis # but it's pack up somewhere with my grandparents things. That in its self is going to be a hunt. Dozen trunks to look through, but I will find it.

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Mark,

I'm betting the hunt for the DMV stuff among your grandparents things will evolve into a pleasant ride down memory lane for you. Good luck in your hunt. You might find some good pictures, too.

I see you are from Pomona. Look me up at the LA Roadster Show if you get there. I'll be in the 36 Ford special parking area... I hope! There's another thread on HAMB about that effort. 15 days until we leave Smithfield, VA for Pomona... just a short 2,650 miles or so! I'll be in my cabriolet at the beginning of this thread.

Hope to see you there.
    Al

Mark Hinds likes this.
  12. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Here is a picture my grandfather took with the coupe in the back ground. Wish I had what my brother and I are sitting on...lol Doug and Mark on Oliver tractor.jpg

Hamtown Al likes this.
  13. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Wow Al that's a lot of driving. Hope you have a safe journey. Instead of going through the trunks I remember talking with a Ham member that has a 36 real close to what I once had. Sent the numbers but no match. As you can see the last California plate were QPU 233. Check Calif. DMV and no luck. The engine that was in the coupe wasn't the original engine but had #1xxx42869 and a Tab # 2xx0060. The Ham has helped me in the past to find the 15oz. fuel coupe so lets see what happens now....AL if I go to the show I will look you up...Thanks

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Good luck.
    I'll see you there.

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Early to breakfast.
    IMG_1373.JPG

The rest of them, including a 36 club cabriolet... don't know how that Buick got in there between them! IMG_1377.JPG

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Here are some 36s 08racer caught at Goodguys out west:
    Goodguys 3w and 5w.jpg
    Goodguys 3w rear.jpg
    Goodguys roadster.jpg

20. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

My granddaughter has literally been around old cars and trucks all her life.:)
    Best of all, she likes them and enjoys using them with me.;)
    MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    SLC092502A.JPG SLC63003b.JPG
    SLC63003i.JPG
    SLC63003j.JPG

Sorry for the slight diversion in content but I promise that 36 Fords played a big role in there being any of these pictures.
    BTW, she was helping me fix the brakes on the 5 window coupe before I removed the steel fenders to put them on the chopped 3 window.

21. This one gets a Double Like!
    Continue to be her "bad influence", Al.

22. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

This is of somewhat poor picture quality but I don't think there is any doubt that we're thoroughly enjoying our 36 Ford.
    SLCAECMar2003.jpg
    SfldSLCAEC.jpg
    I'm guessing that is her purse hanging out the window.
    Olde-Towne-Inn-VA.jpg
    Our little town is the perfect place to drive and enjoy our old Fords.

23. bondolero

bondolero

IMG_2968.JPG View attachment 3230302 Built from old amateur restoration. I added LB top, oem grille/hood, chrome/SS, solids, etc. 327, auto, Joe's axle, lincoln brakes, 9 inch w/CE kit, currently gutted receiving new interior, running board covers, pinstripe, etc. Great 20 ft. paint, 2 lane Jalopy ! As I get older I wished it had a steel lid.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  24. tevintage

tevintage

Hi bondeloro: Very lovely 36. Your custom touches are tasteful and just right. Great color combo. Thanks. TEB

Sent from my SM-N920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

gtrhotrod likes this.
  25. bondolero

bondolero

Any details on the above roadster ? Is this car light fast maroon, or the other maroon that year. I know mine is not the correct color as NOBODYS formulas match it. I would like to change to this darker maroon, if I can ever afford it.

26. bondolero

bondolero

27. bondolero

bondolero

Surely the special interior will ring someones memory bell in socal. Too nice a car to just disappear in the mist, unless it mades its way out of cal.
    good luck on your hunt, I know the car has sentimental connection, I had a 5 window I bought when I was 14 from the original owner. Lost my head and sold the car after 20 years and my current 36 is fun, but isn't the one with the connection.

Mark Hinds and Hamtown Al like this.
  28. krusin

krusin
    from ga

Thanks for starting this thread bout time the 36 is recognized there is something besides a 32 . I have 3 36's a roadster, a phaeton and a 4 dr deluxe. The two rag tops are flathead powered and the 4 dr is all ford 302FI,AOD, nine in rear, power everything.

DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00251.JPG
    pic14.jpg
    029.JPG

29. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Thanks Bondolero. The interior was probably the only thing I would change today if I had the car. Took out the original mohair that was in pretty good condition for its age back then but being a kid diamond tuck from TJ was the hot ticket.

30. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Great Thread !

Very lucky to own a 36 roadster. 2 inch chop, flattie with a C4.....

DSCN2464.JPG DSCN2465.JPG

My 36 Window I built several years ago ..... SBC / 700R4.... Planning on putting the stock tail lights back on, bumpers, and steel wheels....

DSCN0596.JPG