Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration 2016 LA Roadster Show Express Smithfield, VA to Pomona, CA... we hope!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Hey! No Fair! I thought I was making the ultimate accessory........:D:D

See, still have the tattered remnants of my sense of humour....:p

2. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I made no claims to being the ultimate accessory... I knew you would make that!!:D:D

I will be a bit lonesome without the Traveling Companion from the west.:(

On the other hand, there should be less nose prints on the glass!!:D:D

Most of all, I'll miss getting to shake your hand in CA.:)

Who knows? Something might change... if not, "Tomorrow is another day.";)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

My friend Al, has for some reason named me Scout..After looking up the meaning , of scout , I found the is like forge the way .. With this task, I will be traveling alone and as light as possible, from the east coast of Virginia Wednesday June 8th in search of a path west..Plan is to find any Blacksmith shops in case of of any lost shoes ..Will be the 64 trail west, 81 trail south, and again west on the 40 trail...The plan is to make it a little short of the Mississippi, where I will make first night encampment...Will meet a Alabama scout riding a brown stallion , Westward Ho.... jac jalopyrama.jpg RON H.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. ^^^Funny stuff:D^^^^

jackandeuces likes this.
  5. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

OK, you guys are having way too much fun. I think if I wasn't already on the west coast, I'd be joining this traveling side show

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I thought there for a moment that 'ol Scout was going to tell us the story about his lost "shoe" while rolling at a pretty good clip with his wife and she asked him, "Are we going to crash?" as a rear "shoe" went by them.:eek: But I'm not going to press him to share the story. I will say that it is a great story and once again shows the resourcefulness of hot rodders and their determination to help one another. Maybe somebody will make up a little book about it one day. We could take up the flag of the "True Hot Rods" movement that Jerry has started to do a good job of documenting some of the better build and travel stories from over the years.

Apparently, attending all the Pomona Planning Lunches had an effect on Scout as he's now leaving a day earlier. That is probably a good strategy as is his plan to travel light... especially in an early roadster!:) Of course, I'm wondering just how "heavy" one could travel in a roadster?;) Our Scout, Jack, has been travelling in an early roadster for many, many years and he knows the ins and outs of every aspect of travelling in a roadster... travelling light or heavy!;)

I'm glad, too, that Scout it hooking up with the Alabama Scout. I believe the Alabama Scout would be better identified as the Alabama Traveler as he has driven out west, and many other places!, many times.:):)

His "brown stallion" looks great! You can tell that he is an experienced traveler by the eye protection and head gear!:) I'm thinking he could contribute considerable material toward another booklet or two for the "True Hot Rods" series that Jerry has started.:cool: Another "opportunity" to be explored.;)

Scout, being a man of few words, might have given us a bit more info on the brown stallion and its rider but maybe he didn't want to spoil the fun of finding out for ourselves first hand.;)

I really think all the talk about "Let's leave now!" at the last two planning lunches got 'ol Scout fired up and when he got to telling his trusted "stallion" about it in the comfort of his garage, they took a vote and decided to go a day early!;) I'm guessing all the "adjustments" and "IV drips" have been completed.:D

IMG_1249.JPG

15 days to Pomona start; 7 days until leave for York,
    Al

LOU WELLS, OL 55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Alabama scout, Too Tall Ron Hickmans mount was came from from stable in Hampton Va. He and stallion almost made trip last year but had to return to Alabama for a emergency.. Might I say that he was Arizona by way of Ohmha before returning home Not his first rodeo maybe he will chime in..

8. hotrod3w

hotrod3w
    Member Emeritus

Well I guess I am the Alabama scout Jack was taking about. (nice picture you posted of my roadster, Jack) Meeting Jack north of here on June 8th somewhere near the old Music City if he doesn't get lost on his own.......I don't think that Roadster been any west of the Carolina's.
    From the Music City I have plotted out the finest roads available with up's and down's, a lot of turning right and left, deserts, fresh air, snow in view and a little off roading to get off this mountain. (I think Utah ran out of funding on paving that one) Hopefully we will fair better that the Donner Party.

Attached Files:

OL 55, gtrhotrod, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^Dang! Looks like we got a veteran!:) I think you can count on Jack to find you.
    We'll be along in y'all's dust. That second picture you posted should make everybody ready to saddle up now!;)
    I commend you on making memories and look forward to meeting you and seeing your car.

Just talked to some fellas in west Knoxville that are driving out to the roadster show as well but will be a day or two behind us. They are driving an old roadster from CA that they've resurrected and it is looking great!
    It one time belonged to a fellow named Eastwood out there.
    If we have the time, I'm hoping to stop by their shop to get a good look at it and meet the guys. Charlie, who once owned the other steel 32 3w I had for a while, is in the same complex so maybe we'll get two birds with one stone... er, stop!;)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. If you guys get some time, stop by the shop. We are in West Knoxville right off I-40 at Exit 374. We have a lift and plenty of tools if needed. My brother and I will be heading out Saturday June 11 for the big go west in my 29' roadster. Our buddy Mike Whitney is also going with us in his 32' roadster.
    Safe Travels. Jim Barillaro 099-sro-160500-lokar-open-house.jpg

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jim,
    Thanks for sharing the picture of the resurrected roadster--sure is a beauty.
    Got a picture of Whitney's roadster?
    Would love to see it.
    See you in a few weeks.
    Al

12. Hey Al,
    Thanks! Here is a picture of Whitney's roadster from awhile ago. He's actually painting the car shiny black and redoing the whole car for the trip.

Attached Files:

13. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Jim, I I love the way Pete's old roadster looks now ..If time allows I would like to make a stop at the shop ...Jack

14. Thank You Jack!
    Hope you guys can stop by. We have plenty of restaurants and hotels close by and we are only 27 miles east of your Harriman stop.
    Jim

Hamtown Al likes this.
  15. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Jim , I will be traveling alone I want to make Dickson,Tenn on Wednesday ,

16. Sounds good, feel free to call the shop when your in the area.
    865-531-1840

17. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

hotrod3w, you might consider meeting Jack at the Barillaro Speed Emporium if it isn't too much out of the way.

Also, would you please post a larger picture of the second picture you posted of the winding road and tell us where it is located? Looks like a heck of a temptation for a detour!

I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car.

19. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I will be leaving Minnesota June 8th picking up two more roadsters in Des Moines on the 9th. Going to the Dirt Drags, Albq, Lake Havasau and on into Pomona. This will be my 12th trip in a row in a roadster. Hope to see some of guys on the way. Don't need no stinkin top!!

Attached Files:

20. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Al,I'm meeting Ron 200 miles further west..

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Ron, if Jack does not bring you some pictures from the Speed Emporium, I'd make him lead!:D

wild turkey, I sent you a PM. You are welcome to join us, catch us, or pass us if the timing works.

We should be going through Albq, NM noonish... we hope!!

I think dirt T has Sunday dinner planned at a placed called "The Hot Rod Café". I sure hope we don't look out of place.;) I think that is their breakfast place, too, so it has to be pretty good.:)
    The problem is figuring out just when we'll get there.:eek:
    My map software says 5:06 PM... anybody want to buy a bridge in Utah?:rolleyes:

Won't be long now.

14 days,
    Al
    IMG_1363.JPG

22. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How many pounds do you think you can shed by June 8th? ;)

vic

23. hotrod3w

hotrod3w
    Member Emeritus

Al, I just figure out how to do the larger pic's from a little help from the Ol' Scout. The road is located just north of Mexican Hat, Utah on Road 261. IMG_8062 (2).jpg IMG_8061 (2).jpg IMG_8068.JPG IMG_8074.JPG IMG_8081.JPG

OL 55, lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^^^Outstanding pictures!!:):):):)

Ron, thanks so much for sharing them and the location... that red and black 3w looks familiar.:)

Now I see why you have made the effort to go to the Roadster Show, and many other places, so many times.
    Your box of great memories has to be overflowing, you lucky dog.:)

I'm sure a number of HAMBers are looking up that location right now!;)

I'm sure more inspirational pictures would be welcomed by all and "Thank You!" to Scout.

And THOSE pictures are inspirational for sure!!

Scout is not just another pretty face!;)

Thanks again,
    Al

25. hotrod3w

hotrod3w
    Member Emeritus

Al, You guys need to take the twisty roads to find the best views. IMG_7992 (Medium).JPG

26. ^^^Brave soul^^^

jackandeuces likes this.
  27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Dang, Ron!
    You certainly have been on a very successful quest for finding the best views from what you've shared thus far.
    I wish I had time for twisty roads on this trip but it is not in the cards. This time we're focusing on maximizing the experiences surrounding the LA Roadster Show. That is why we will be in Pomona a full 7 nights; leaving early the Monday after the show. I'll readily confess I'm looking forward to drinking a beer or two out of that pewter mug Sunday afternoon and evening!!

I imagine we'll miss far more than we'll see but we're going to give it our best and we're counting on you and many others to give us guidance. We're grateful that Tourman Tom is taking the lead on where to go and what to see.

I'm hoping to get up with the owner of my old gasser and maybe sneak a ride out to see it and the rest of his car treasures. I've also got an invitation to visit the Justice Brothers Museum and check out their 36 Ford convertible sedan.

So many cars, and trucks!, and so little time!!

Thanks for sharing and please continue if you wish... I'm sure everybody enjoys your efforts. I'm sure Scout will help if needed.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
  28. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Al, Ron can take better pictures at 70 with arm in air than most really trying...

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Jack, based on what he's shared so far, I completely agree and am grateful.

11 days for you and Ron, 12 days for the rest of us!

Leave for 5 days in York on June 1.

Gonna be "Travelin' Al!"

jackandeuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_1376 (2).JPG
    This morning was the last Saturday breakfast together in Smithfield for these two 36s for a month!
    I'll be in York next week.
    The following week we hope to be in New Mexico.
    The week after that we'll be AT the LA Roadster Show!!!
    Hopefully, the following Saturday we'll be back in Smithfield... we hope!!