Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 buick 3w coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, May 16, 2016.

1. i have had this thing for about 15 years and finally decided to do something with it or get rid of it. i decided to fix the body up enough to sell to someone to finish the mechanicals.
    the more i work on this the more i like it so i decided to do a build thread.
    the back of the body was missing the rumble lid and the body panel below it. it also had a "repair" [barf] to the panel below the rear window. i made a new one. since i wasn't planning a build thread i didn't take a lot of photos.
    here are a few: DSCF5025.JPG

2. here is what the back looked like and the panel i made. DSCF5003.JPG DSCF5009.JPG

3. here are the seats i found for it that we have concluded use early 60's vw tracks/mounting and dune buggy buckets. it also has a corvair front suspension that someone has done some mods to. i would love to put a straight axle back in even tho the corvair looks like it might work well and fit's in the mid sixties time period i am shooting for. DSCF5013.JPG DSCF5018.JPG

catdad49 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  4. it has a sbc in it at this time, i will be swopping in a buick v8. i love chevy motor but it will be cool with a buick. DSCF5029.JPG
    i also made new sills for the car and new wheel wells DSCF5029.JPG DSCF5021.JPG DSCF5020.JPG

5. here is the back of the car now with the new panels on it and some filler and primer. DSCF5027.JPG

6. LongT

LongT

There is a guy around here with a '32 Olds. Probably similar body. It's my favorite car in the area. The body looks a little bigger than a Ford. Being tall that would mean a lot. Is the body bigger?

Bill

Donuts & Peelouts and volvobrynk like this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Looking good!

8. so tonight i decided to bolt the fenders up and get some idea what i will have to do to make running boards and supports. DSCF5035.JPG DSCF5036.JPG DSCF5034.JPG

9. yes i would believe the bodies are alike. and yes they are bigger than a Ford. i would bet this body would fit over a model A coupe body. this car was channeled 6"+ and when i sit in it [5'10"] my feet don't reach the firewall.

thanks!
    DSCF5033.JPG

10. pushed it out side to get a look. need to make running boards and a grill insert. DSCF5037.JPG DSCF5038.JPG

11. shown50

shown50

Looks good excited to see the work you do on the running boards

12. the front fenders are going to stay mounted, in their original position on the frame, but since the rear fenders dropped with the body, i will cut them off in the front to keep the boards level with the frame.
    then i have to decide what to do with the rear of the back fenders. if i "bob" them i want to keep the reveal, along the back edge. so i will section the rears. problem is how much? i think i need to put a rear bumper on to make that decision.

catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  13. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Are you going to run a 32 Ford style gas tank in the back? That will affect the rear fenders too.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ted, I think you need to find some splash aprons first to set the fenders. In my mind the 1931-32 Chevy aprons are not as tall as Fords. Stoll this photo off the web. Bob

upload_2016-5-21_23-53-25.png

catdad49 and volvobrynk like this.
  15. no, i am running a '51 ford pickup tank mounted under the back of the car. you can see the straps in post 5, hanging down.

16. apron will be, just a couple inches tall, i am going to make them part of my running board, like my 33 chevy.
    like this DSCF3642.JPG

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

After seeing your 33 Chevy coupe and the Jimmy truck I thought; how can one man top that?
    Okay, throw in a flat fender jeep and a Buick 3 Window.

You rock!! Are you taking people in for appenship/adoption?

It would look good with the rear fenders bobbed/sectioned, and maybe a rear roll pan.

I love Chevy parallel front springs, and I can't for the love of g0d see why someone would cut it off for a ford suspension, that are in-superior to the Chevy!

Since yours is already cut, should handle descent/good and bad you are running fenders.

I would keep what you got and enjoy it.

catdad49 likes this.
  18. if you ever get over to the states, stop in, we will talk.;)
    the corvair front suspension is questionable, i want to do the body panels first, then [if it doesn't sell by then] swop it out for a parallel leaf front axle. i have one from 50' chevy that would work.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Will do! :D

The corvair in stock form was questionable, but with a hot rodder, a welder and some roundup-round guys, you can make that corner like a scaletrix car! B)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Cool car. I always liked the look of the 30's Buicks. And putting a Buick under the hood is going to heal this cars self esteem.

21. It'll be a cool ride especially with the Buick power plant! Don't see too many Buicks of that era.

22. How about a sneak peek??:)

22.jpg

23. Ghost28

Ghost28

It really looks good. The Buick engine you are going to use? I Don't l don't know why, but I .have a fondness for old Buicks.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  24. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

This one? P1000903.JPG P1000902.JPG

25. :):cool:

i have a ford guy friend [there is always one in a bunch] that says it just doesn't look right. he thinks it needs to look more like an A. 5 window, shorter hood, different grill etc.......:eek:

i am not doing this to the level of my '33 but it is going to be cool!

Moose! that is exactly what i had in my head...........now i just need to do it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. thanks, there is something cool about Buicks. i really want a nail head in this but until i find one i have this little 1967 430 .

that is a neat looking rod. i am toying with bobbing the fenders today. i am going to leave the fenders longer in the rear.

Surfcityrocker and volvobrynk like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Please photoshop in a '32 Chevy hood side with the doors and put one in the cowl as well. Bob

upload_2016-5-22_13-21-30.png

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. i plan on hood sides. with vertical louvers on the back 2/3s.
    Bob the cowl already has a vent door, stock from the factory.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, but it wouldn't align with the '32 doors, what's an extra day of bodywork. Bob

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

What about sectioning the rear fenders up so the nice lower edge sits where the ends sways out. And make a rear pan in between upper part of the "end-shape" and up to the lower beaver panel.
    Maybe with a slight shape at the lower edge.
    Can @themoose do that?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463940614.201974.jpg

And how would it look with the running board flush with the body like on a VW Bug? I know it's an off topic car but it is best example I can give

Something like these;
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463940665.668262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463940693.472540.jpg