Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Suburban glass question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, May 21, 2016.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I have a 50 suburban. Bought it with rear fixed windows. Question is there a way to vent a window, pop out on hinge. I know the factory slide but they are damn near impossible to find all the pieces and leak. Thoughts... need more air flow to the rear of the truck.

Attached Files:

2. Nice lookin truck....be less expensive to just add an A/C unit..problem solved...

3. 55Brodie

55Brodie

I had a '48 Burb and I feel your pain. There is no eas way to make tilt out windows. I can't tell from your pic if you have panel doors or a clam shell tailgate. Mine had the gate so flow through ventilation was not a problem.

31Truckster likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I seem to recall seeing people put those small fans in the rear corners for circulation.
    I have a 66 Suburban that was a factory dual slider and those are hard enough to find those pieces for, I'd bet the early ones are pretty scarce.
    Good looking truck BTW.

5. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Hey 55brodie I have a clamshell rear I can definitely pop that open. Thought about mounting some fans inside. I have a vintage air unit in it now, that doesn't work. May have to fix that.

6. Now thats a truck!!!!!!! Bruce.

7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

can you do it like rhe 36-7 suburban they roll down about 1/2 way

8. squirrel

squirrel

I put an add on rear air for a minivan or something (1980s) in the back of my 66 suburban, it helped a lot. I put it next to the middle seat, behind the driver, along the side of the truck.

Kids are all gone now, so no need for that in my 57 suburban. I have underdash AC in it (old 1960s evaporator) and it keeps me cool up front just fine.

9. indyjps

indyjps

Fold out rear windows need the glass flush mounted on the outside.

Anyway to add tracks to the rear door windows to roll them down, street rod electric window kit with switch routed up front in a non visible spot.

10. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Wish I could without major mods. Like the roll downs.

11. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Thought about getting gmc 15 passenger van mounts for pop outs and trying to make that work. The glass is flat.

12. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I have a 50 GMC suburbant hat has the sliding windows, I been looking at the town and country van power back window they might work.

13. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Butcherted tell me more.

14. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

I have been toying with the idea of not changing the window size, just take a look at Chrysler or Dodge van back window they have hinges to the front of the windows and a hinge at the rear with a electric motor.could have new glass drilled to hold hinges.There would be no change in looks of the truck.
    I would look at the hardware I think it will work, that way the windows would pop out in the rear to let air pull through, I have the clam shell rear door with the exhaust coming out the back and with the hatch open in some times pulls the exhaust in the truck.

wrench3047 likes this.
  15. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

You say you have the air installed but not working? I'm putting air in mine.. wondering how it's going to cool.....

16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If they haven't butchered the side window channels & runners it shouldn't be that hard to put back stock sliders, not many "hard to find" parts needed at all. Bought all my rubber, felt, etc. from Chev's of the '40s. Side sliders have stamped Stainless or Chrome handles that you pull/push to slide, those could be bent to shape pretty easily or think out of the box and have some kind of handle vulcanized to glass or a hole cut, sandblasted threw for anchor. Glass patterns should be available from a HAMBer or older glass shop. Haven't seen any water leaks yet! My stock ones were replaced and are long gone unfortunately................

Studebakermatt likes this.
  17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Looking at your pic's it doesn't look like you have any vent windows in doors? That doesn't help at all either. I would feel Closter phobic sitting in any area of that one!
    Sorry, just re read your first post and see it's a '50, no stock vents.......................................

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  18. Its not hard to do flip out windows
    I have done several over the years just getting ready to do another
    I'll take photos
    I've been doing old car glass for 53 years next month

Studebakermatt and jcmarz like this.
  19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

While everyone else says "can't", you say "can"! I like that because when there's a wheel, there's a way!

20. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I like the idea of AC in the front & rear