Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '27 Roadster Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas36, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Okay its been a while since Ive posted in this thread. Ive collected some more parts for my build. Big thanks to fellow HAMB members: Brokenspoke and Wino_01 for their contributions and guidance. Thanks to them I now have a really nice frame, rear wishbones, stanchions, and 32 truck pedals. [​IMG][​IMG] Its always nice to have some good friends!
    My next question is, what are ways to lower the car without dropping the axle or stepping the frame?

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

reverse the spring eyes. longer shackles. modify (raise) the spring crossmembers. smaller diameter tires

3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Order reverse eye main leafs from a-springs. Then start playing with the number of leaves you take out. I have 6 or 7 in the rear of my roadster. I can not remember how many up frint

4. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Which leaves did you take out from the rear?

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Without dropping the axle: Reverse the main leaf and pull a leaf or two out. Also, choose an axle that'll drop you a bit. In my case I am going from a Model A beam to a 32 and it drops it a little. Like an inch, or so.

For the rear: Go with a Model T spring. Bring it to a spring shop if you want the eyes reversed. Then, pull a couple leafs.

6. sololobo

sololobo

super score and I see your movin right forward with this project. Rally respect the plan, best wishes for a smooth build.

7. Thanks for all the replies guys. So I guess with my guidelines its all up to my choice of springs which will determine my ride height. Lucky for me I chose to use a 33 axle to give me a slight drop over an A axle.
    Also just ordered Tardel's book so hopefully Ill be studying it pretty soon. [​IMG]My dad caught me "Driving" my car the other day....

8. Ha, Ha....Don't worry we all do the same thing, even us old guys.

9. Just a small update. Cut up some '37 wishbones and shortly after received a speedway package containing spring perches, kingpin set, and a 32 shell. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451780904.685687.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451780915.092829.jpg

kiwijeff, brEad and bct like this.
  10. This weekend I picked up a 59AB. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454933250.228462.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454933266.036572.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454933283.511858.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454933307.891036.jpg
    Supposedly running when pulled from a 47 or 48 ford 10 years ago but got water down one of the cylinders and is now stuck. Pulled the heads and saw no visible cracks in the valve seats or exposed cylinder walls. The cylinder that had the water wasnt that bad at all, it ate the piston more than anything. Pulled the intake and found a really clean inside. Someone had put adjustable lifters in as well. Before I went home, I poured some marvel mystery oil into the intakes and cylinders, and set the heads and intake back on. Ill go and check it next weekend and see if I can get it unstuck then go from there. If it turns out to be a bad engine its ok. I bought it for as much as a parts engine would have cost, and I have an ace in the hole motor.

11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Hopefully the engine turns out to be OK.

12. Well its been a long while since Ive posted in this thread.. Mainly because I still have no place with electricity to build but Ive been gathering all my parts I need. I now have all the main parts minus a 39 trans for my build so I figured Ide post my findings. In march I responded to an instagram ad for a 26-27 turtle deck and picked it up in Austin at the roundup. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463743864.947702.jpg
    A friend of mine gave me an F1 Box and column. And I gathered a few speed parts for my flathead ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463744194.377399.jpg
    Hopefully pretty soon Ill be borrowing a friend's shop to make up my wishbones and wishbone mounts. My goal is to have a roller pretty soon.

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Nice progress

bct likes this.
  14. I wouldnt be this far without you buddy!

brokenspoke likes this.
  15. Small update, nothing major but took some old model a axle tube ends and cut them up to convert my v8 rear to Spring-over. Also cleared some space in my small shed to do some mock up stuff. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468109749.819533.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468109762.622847.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468109773.478679.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468109783.951375.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468109792.453417.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468109801.113513.jpg
    Y'all like my state of the art work bench?

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Looking good

Texas36 likes this.
  17. I belive your motor is a merc. It's a keystone block which is the most looked for block. It has a raised intake surface. Good score on that and I like the speed equipment. Your off to a great car build. Good luck get-r-gone

18. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I think your going to have one hell of a car when your done keep at it.

Texas36 likes this.
  19. The guy I bought it from took it out of a 48 ford. I never realized it was the 99T until I read the tardel book. I got lucky for sure! Thanks for your kind words.

I hope to pick up the pace a bit on this build soon

20. Good work! Subscribed.

21. Also look at the cam if it's got adjustable lifters lots of times there will be a aftermarket cam in there too.

22. Seems like MAS used to sell one. I am sure I have seen them since they quit selling glass stuff. Maybe a speedy bill product I think he bought a lot of their stuff. They are probably pretty pricey if you find one.

I have always had a soft spot for 26/7 Fords. Not really a T or an A. Good luck with your build.

23. Yeah Ive been wondering about that. Ill take the cam out next weekend. The motor had a stock bore and stroke but has been rebuilt at one time.

24. Luckily I found a pretty decent henry turtle deck. Thanks for the kind words

25. LOL got a soft spot for Tejanos too. ;)

26. Well, another few months has passed so why not an update?

I didnt like my frame being bare and rusty so I decided to give it a quick dirt road paint job to stop the rust. I went with a 50/50 mix of Rustoleum Gloss black and Flat black. It turned out pretty well I think... Frame paint.JPG IMG_5090.JPG IMG_5091.JPG

Next I wanted to get started on my wishbones. I love the look of model A tierod ends welded on the ends of wishbones so naturally I went that route. IMG_5337.JPG

The tierods are not screwed in very well in this pic. Dont worry, they will NOT stick out that far. I dont have them welded just yet I will need to go to a friend of mine's shop for that.

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  27. A couple months back I made a trip to Austin speed shop and met up with member TexasSpeed. I left with a super nice '39 toploader and a box full of gears. Thanks again Matt! 39 trans.jpg

28. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Looking good. Keep up the good work. At least your starting to work on it. Bob.......

29. Thank you!

I wont let my current work area slow me down. A couple years ago I met an old timer named Roy Drappal at the Lonestar roundup. In the 40s he built a model A coupe in a barn with no electricity, paint and all. [​IMG] this is me sitting behind the wheel of that same car. I at least have the luxury of cordless power tools where he didnt, so I cant complain!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

spurgeonforge and KiwiGlen like this.
  30. With some help from my dad we got the valve train and cam out of my flathead. Then got the motor and trans sitting between the frame rails for some motivation... [​IMG] since my motor has been rebuilt in the past, Im wondering about this cam. Its in wonderful shape and has 5-T stamped on the front but no other markings [​IMG] anyone know what that could mean?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app