Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead oil pan mystery

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by metaldave, May 16, 2016.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Dear experts, I have an oil pan for a late flathead. It has a plate welded to the bottom of the sump in the rear. There are 3 studs sticking out of this plate. This pan also has a windage tray. What is the plate and studs for? Thanks in advance Dave Miller

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I had a '49/'50 Merc flathead and bellhousing and there was a plate that bolted to the studs on the pan and to the forward face of the bellhousing......a brace of sorts.

Ray

3. alchemy

alchemy

Does it have a big cleanout hole in the bottom? If so, I think it's a truck pan.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your pan came on '49-'50, and a few carry-over '51 Mercurys. The studs bolt to a bracket that is riveted to the starter plate used with the 3" stamped steel 1/2 bell. Ford evidently felt additional support was needed for the Merc and the '48-'52 cast iron truck 3" 1/2 bell, as the truck pan bolts directly through their starter plate to the bell.
    Open the link below and you'll see how these parts relate.
    http://www.flatheadv8.org/bellhousing.pdf

Last edited: May 17, 2016

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

And Merc is I think only one with windage tray. Look for an oil pump pickup that has the missing piece of tray welded to it...when all is put together, that hole in tray is filled in by the piece on the pickup.

6. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Do I have to use that oil pickup with the windage tray? Are they available? I havent seen them in any catalogs I have Dave

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No......... as stated above, most Ford/Merc flatheads did not have a windage tray. Having a gap in yours has no real consequence.

Ray