Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Put in new wiring harness in Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by pugster, May 15, 2016.

1. pugster

pugster
    from OK

I put in a new auto wire 15 wiring harness. I have all park lights, brake lights, horn, hi and low beam head lights. Turn signal will not work but the brake light goes dark if you turn indicator for that side. I did not hook up the flasher wire but wire for turn signal power switch hooked up. Have checked wiring up and down, cannot find problem. I have also put in new turn signal column wiring Please let me know if you can think of anything maybe I have over looked. Thanks!

2. First thing, check the grounds. 2nd thing, check the grounds. It's also pretty easy to screw up transitioning the steering column wiring into the harness.

3. Complete all the wiring and report back later. I bet it will work then.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Hook up the flasher wire.

5. squirrel

squirrel

which flasher wire did you not hook up? If it's the one for the turn signals, you need it. If it's the one for the hazard flashers, you should not need it.

And the turn signals need the key on to work...the rest of the lights don't.

6. Most hazard flashers are hot all the time, key off they still operate. I agree with Jim, nix it if the truck doesn't have one.

7. pugster

pugster
    from OK

I have not hooked up the Hazard wire. Every thing else is hooked up and working but still no turn signals. With brakes applied key on for turn signal brake lights come on, turn indiacator on for left side the brake light goes off. Same as for the Right side. I have check the wiring from column to all plugs several times. Had other people look at wiring diagram from Highway 15 auto wire it is like the diagram. Changed out both tail lights with new housings and grounds. Could it be something in my fuse box it self, have checked fuses and relays. About to pull hair out!!!! The pickup starts, runs and charges.

8. squirrel

squirrel

What turn signal switch are you using?

9. pugster

pugster
    from OK

It has a new factory turn signal switch from LMC 1965 chevy pickup column. Thanks!

10. F&J

F&J

If it were me, at your point of frustration... I would disconnect all the wires to the new TS switch, except "brake in" and the two wires that go to the rear lights (R and L)

then see if the brake lights work, and if they light up the brighter filaments.

11. Re-read the instruction....I have also just finished a 65 chev pu,,You should have many,many pages of instructions..They cover EVERYTHNG...

12. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, the idea to bypass the turn signal switch is a good one. Yellow is power from the flasher can, pink and purple are the wires to the rear lights...

13. pugster

pugster
    from OK

Thanks! For all the info. I have put in 3 of these kits with no problems, having hell with this one.

14. This is a diagnostic chart that will help you figure out what is wrong. note: on most GM cars black is ground. this one uses a black for power to a light (very confusing). Make sure your steering column is grounded and your turn signal switch has a good ground (mentioned above). Print out these charts and run lines vertical and horizontal between the colors. Rick
    You'll need an ohm meter for checking continuity and a pencil and pad for writing what you find. It makes it easier if you have alligator clips for your meter. You need a grid to chart your findings on. I used a lined legal pad and drew vertical lines to make as many boxes as I had wires. Then I labeled the grid with the wire colors. It looks like this.

PINK WHITE BLACK YELLOW LIGHT BLUE DARK BLUE
    PINK

WHITE

BLACK

YELLOW

LIGHT BLUE

DARK BLUE

A switch that hasn't been used in a while is bound to have some corrosion, cobwebs and cooties on the contacts. So before you start checking, cycle your switch from left to right several times to help assure good continuity.

Now with the switch in the off position, clip your ohm meter lead to the first wire and check for continuity with each other wire. When you find continuity, place an X in that wire's square. After checking each wire, move your lead to the next wire and again check each other wire. Mark your findings on your chart. Repeat until you have checked each wire to all the others. When I finished, my chart looked like this:

OFF PINK WHITE BLACK YELLOW LIGHT BLUE DARK BLUE
    PINK
    X X
    WHITE
    X X
    BLACK
    X X
    YELLOW

LIGHT BLUE

DARK BLUE

Now put your switch in the left turn position and make another chart. Check each wire to the others and find where you have continuity in this configuration. Mark it on your chart.

LEFT TURN PINK WHITE BLACK YELLOW LIGHT BLUE DARK BLUE
    PINK
    X X
    WHITE
    X
    BLACK
    X
    YELLOW
    X X
    LIGHT BLUE
    X X
    DARK BLUE

Now go to the right turn position and make a chart for it. My finished charts looked like this:

RIGHT TURN PINK WHITE BLACK YELLOW LIGHT BLUE DARK BLUE
    PINK
    X
    WHITE
    X
    BLACK
    X X
    YELLOW
    X X
    LIGHT BLUE

DARK BLUE
    X X
    OK, now it's time to put your powers of reasoning and deduction to work. Let's see if we can figure this out. The first thing we take into account is the fact that only the brake lights work when the switch is off. Looking at the "OFF" chart we see that pink, white and black all have continuity. From this we can deduce that one is from the brake light switch and the other two go to the brake lights. But which is which?

Let's have a look at that chart for the left position. In it we see that, of the three wires in question, only the white and black have continuity here. AHA. With our powers of deduction we now know one of these is the power from the brake light switch and the other is to the right brake light. How do we know it's the right brake light? It's the one on when the left side is flashing.

Now let's look at that right position chart. Here we see that white and pink have continuity. AHA again. The white one has to be the one giving the power and the pink one is the left brake light. That makes the black one the right brake light.

OK, we have the brake lights figured out. What about the turn lights? Well let's study those charts some more. We already know the left brake light is pink and the right one is black. So when the left signal is on something is sending power to the pink wire. Looking at the chart we see it's the yellow wire. And what is that yellow wire doing with the switch in the right position? Why it's sending power to the black wire. But wait, it's also sending power to the dark blue wire. Using our reasoning powers, we know that has to be the right front signal. And looking back at the left position chart, we see that yellow is also sending power to the light blue wire in that position so that is the left front signal.

Alright! We've got this figured out.

• White - brake light switch
    • Pink - left brake light
    • Black - right brake light
    • Yellow - flasher
    • Light blue - left front signal light
    • Dark blue - right front signal light

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.