Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ever finish a build and decide its not for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, May 14, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

someone else lives in San Diego. OP lives in Burbank. It's all a mess from where I see it...which is the occasional visit in one of my old rides.

2. Get a '54 Ford and join the '54 Ford Club of America. 54 Fords are relatively cheap, they came from the factory with a modern ball-joint front suspension, you can plop the whole family in it and you can certainly build one HAMB friendly if it suits you. (y-blocks sound amazing through duals)

Drove mine 10 hours (5 each way), part of it on interstate at 70mph+ a couple weekends ago...with a trunk full of luggage and kids in the back seat. Loved every single second of it.

FullSizeRender[1].jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. trollst

trollst

I never built cars with the family in mind, ever. They're hot rods, I took each of my kids when I or they needed one on one time, heavy foot on the accelerator time. Time for Mrs Troll to get away from kids, that's what hot rods are for. Get a dd, keep the car, build another over the long term, but yes, I just built a car that I'm not that enamored with, it happens.

4. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

pictures many get you some trade offers -- plus every body likes pictures

5. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

I did that with a '73 Honda CB750 cafe build. I sold it to fund my first hotrod project.

6. Sure, it happens.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yeah, and then I wake up from the nightmare..

8. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Ha, mine is very much on the jalopy side of things. It would sell ok out here in LA, but probably not here on the HAMB. There's a lot of history in the car, from it being wrecked sometime in the 50s or 60s and having a different passenger rear corner welded on and leaded, etc etc. Anyway, for better or worse here's where it's at:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463342898.006228.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463342960.163330.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1463342997.635381.jpg

AHotRod and olscrounger like this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

I think you'd be surprised by how many good trade offers (and shitty ones) you'd get for that car. Running and roadworthy A roadster hot rods are not exactly common, especially being offered for trade.

Wouldn't hurt to put it out there and see what you're offered, you might find something you really love. Some of my coolest stuff I got through trading.

10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

It'd would definitely be interesting to see what offers come in and if something trips my trigger. The crappy ones are good for entertainment at least!

That car started life as a coupe, and in the same period as that corner was replaced, they started turning it into a coupester. I never liked coupester proportions, so I cut 4.5" out of the body length/doors so it's somewhere in between. It now looks more akin to British roadster proportions, but plenty of room for larger fellas to get inside. I also have a 50 8BA being rebuilt locally that I'd consider including depending on the offer. I have a 34 RPU that's mothballed and disassembled that I was thinking of putting that motor in, though. I guess I'm best described as being at a crossroads in the hobby. Neither here nor there, but open to offers! ;)

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've seen near-finished Chevys ('55-'65) traded straight across for 'A' roadsters this nice.
    Now, Ford products (Galaxies, Fairlanes, etc.) are 'considered' not to be as 'flash-valued' as the GM stuff. I think you could get a real nice mid-'60s Ford product for this. (seen it happen, on threads right here on HAMBER City!)

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ahhh...Didn't notice the short bustle (at catwalk) Sure looks like a roadster...Still would bank on some good offers! Nice solid 'piece' there.

poboyross likes this.
  13. Gman0046

Gman0046

It's amazing how your taste in vehicles changes over time. I've had all kinds of 30's - 40's cars and some trucks. I'm now into 50's and early 60's cars with no more interest in the early stuff.

Gary

poboyross and AHotRod like this.
  14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Indeed. I still like my coupester, but I'm broadening my horizons. I am pretty picky though. I really like 57 Buicks, Buick Wildcats, and slightly OT 66/67 Fairlanes. No idea where it's leading, LOL!

15. When I finally finish a build, I'll let ya know.

poboyross likes this.
  16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I assume you had a Wife and kids when you sold your 50 Chevy to finance the A build, so I'm guessing the "family going along together in an old car ride" is a relatively new concept? Or you'd have built out the 50 Chevy for the family. As a couple of guys stated, you can't build a (2 seat) Hot Rod for the family. You build it for you.
    Are you sure the family outing will be an everlasting reality, or will you be driving solo in a family Sedan after awhile anyway?

Yes, LA traffic, roads and drivers suck. Can't blame the A though because Hot Rodders were driving Hiboys like your 50, 60 years ago, and a lot of them were daily's as it was their only car.

Trade the A for a driver 50's Sedan, Wagon, etc.

Then, ideally, if you have the space, drop that rebuilt 8BA into your 34 RPU and build that out for yourself and you'll have a puddle jumper for local power runs by yourself or one of the family members. Best of both worlds.

17. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I've seen some decent running 210 wagons around here. You think it sounds like a viable trade? They're going for 10k locally.

BTW, are we allowed to post trades in the for sale section here?

18. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Well....I made a "Wanted" ad for a trade since you can't really do that in the "Cars for Sale" section:

LINK

I bought the 50 before my son was born (our 1st), and when we moved to CA from NJ, I only had room for one car, at the time I wanted the A a lot more. I don't regret selling the 50 at all, other than the 283 that went with it! The cash from the 50 did indeed to to finance the A. The family ride deal isn't a new concept to me, just one that I've taken much more of an interest in, as of late. When I built my A, more than one child wasn't really in the picture or considered....but after I took a liking to the fella and decided maybe we should keep him around (JUST KIDDING), we decided that more chi'rens were on the horizon. Nothing is everlasting to me on this Earth, including these cars, so if finding a better way to merge my family and hobby is possible, and puts us together more often, I'm all for it. I don't blame the A for what it is....I blame the DOT for leaving us with 3rd world roads! LOL. I was in a wedding up in SF last weekend, and I felt like I had come back to civilization!

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dig Falcons. They are big enough for a family, until they get really big.

Since they share DNA with the Mustang, a TON of parts cross-over, and are therefore plentiful, and fairly cheap.

Rebuilt suspension, front discs, a power booster (yes, you can), a beefy anti-sway bar and you have modern handling and stopping.

I can give you the low-down on how to make the little-6 perform well, with good mileage, too.

20. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Gimpy, I may hit you up on that if I find a Falcon wagon that I like. I've seen one Falcon Futura around here that I loved, and it looked MEAN. It's the only one I've ever seen that looked mean to me. I don't know that other that that one, what my thoughts are on if a wagon can get anywhere close to that. HOWEVER, YOU are the reason I went with a 305 in my A.....best decision *evar*. LOL, no joke.

EDIT: When I say mean...I mean this mean:

[​IMG]

Also....can it fit 3 car seats side by side in the back seat?

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a bunch of spare parts, too....

22. exterminator

exterminator

You should keep your roadster and look for a cheap early 60s ford if you like them.You will later regret getting rid of your roadster (did that twice myself).Only if you can afford it. Check craigslist if you can since I see good deals all the time. There is a 57 ford wagon on there which might fit your need.

23. I think differently about cars now with a pretty good back injury. A good buddy of mine has a '88-ish Vette, hard to get in and out of for me. I can drive it okay. I looked at and sat in a few Fords in the '32 range.. a no-go. So the '59 Ford was perfect. I'm also considering a '66 Mustang that is for sale locally, sat in it on Saturday and it's good.

I got another friend, put some big bucks into a HAMB friendly '60's car and he doesn't like it, rarely drives it. The car is nice, needs some fine tuning.

24. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know what the market is like around you, but you could ask 15K for your coupester around here and expect to get reasonable offers. You could get 2 nice Falcons for that.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably.