Register now to get rid of these ads!

Monroe WA Swap Meet this weekend!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, May 14, 2007.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Good friend is always there with his Tri-Five Chevrolet parts/cars. Talked to him on the phone today while he was setting up. He said he was close to getting in a fight with another vendor when he momentarily parked his cube-van in front of the guys stall; guy had't set up yet, and had just then arrived. Guy would't back off, kept pushing, mouthing off, and threatening. When the friends son shows up, it will be taken care, and the other guy will be making a trip across Hwy 2 to the local hospital. Why try and push an old guy around? They usually have kids you know. Just another reason to not go, even though I would like to. I thought the Christmas season had turned into the "season of brotherly shove". Too many people, people standing in the middle of aisles talking shop, people cutting right in front of you or forcing you out of their way, people blowing cigarette smoke in your face, and the list goes on. Not much fun anymore, imagine that. I've said my piece. Enjoy your day at Monroe. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

3. pontman

pontman

I sold at Monroe a few times and you just can't do it alone. People try to beat you down all day on good stuff at good prices. Had a 65 Pontiac tri power intake with carbs and linkage. Had it at $500, guy asked me if I would take $300, I said no, the guy next to him handed me $500, first guy got pissie. Pay up or shut up!!!

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

they go around back and sneak in with the vendors before the public gate opens,
    like kids cutting in front in the chow line.
    the reward is an illusion.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, I just got back; spent maybe an hour and a half, and my prior, above statements, still stand. Interestingly, further up Hwy 2, above Gold Bar, is a forest fire, right where my my Tri-Five friend lives, so he had someone else man his stalls while he watches their home. Traffic is terrible, at least couple of miles long backup before getting into Monroe from the west; related to the fire up to the east, or just due to the swap meet? I detoured around it all, and got right in. Saw some nice stuff, like a couple of transmissions I'd like to have had, but far more JUNK. Had another guy I know ask what I thought; I told him, "there's a garbage truck right behind that building (there was), they're going to need a bigger truck". Weather was overcast, and it had just started to sprinkle some when I left. I've never seen so many guys on power-scooters, or pulling wagons. Plenty of signs posted saying, "NO DOGS", and dogs were everywhere! I like dogs, we have 5 of them, but they don't go out in places this public. LOTS of non-automotive related vendors. It's been about 5 years since I went to this swap meet; has't changed much, right down to the rain, and over abundance of JUNK. $10.00 parking/entry. Price is fair, and I figured there was at least a thousand cars currently in parking, and many more to come and go over the weekend, so someone is making out like a bandit. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. F-head

F-head

monroe was great
    sold a ton of stuff
    bought a few things
    got a few great deals

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

had a great time,
    'saw and reconnected with more than a few friends I hadn't seen in a long time,
    found stuff I didn't know I really needed-
    truth is I don't really need anything,
    I just like swap meets and Monroe always has something to bring home,
    this time a '50 Olds stick transmission, thanks to studefreak for the heads up,
    a nice virgin pair of CT motor mounts for the early Olds motors,
    a set of 4 NOS early chrome air cleaners,
    and a few more trinkets all for very reasonable money (cheap).

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

why did I even look at this thread today...:(:(

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's like a car wreck George, a car guy is gonna look.

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just wish I coulda been there. But some BIG changes in the wind here, hopefully it pans out.

11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought it was okay, I got what I needed and for good prices. Even got a great deal on some things I didnt need. :) We were there early, it worked for me. Got soaked when the sky opened right up and down pored.
    There was some junk, I saw a guy selling rusty wheel bearings?!?! A fair bit of yard sale type junk, but all in all some good stuff and a good day with some good friends.

12. Got there early too. Go a bunch of stuff for a flathead I'm piecing together. Can home with a shit load of stuff and all at almost give away prices. People just wanted to get rid of stuff. Will definitely go again. To bad it had to rain. Shits for the sellers. Hope they get a break tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T110 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Went early, left just before the rain really started to pick up.
    Bought a couple of things at great prices.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I always do well there, and prices are downright reasonable. Maybe I'll make it in the fall...

15. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

16. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

I always go Friday afternoon while guys are setting up. They love the quick $$$$and are always ready to deal.

My best find was a real Winfield aluminum intake manifold and model S Winfield down draft carburetor for my 1930 Model A pheaton. After I struck the deal the seller asked if I wanted a few extra Winfield parts, including, 2 extra float bowls, a couple of ball floats, and 2 extra intake stacks.

The at another stall I purchased a tap and die set, not just your average taps and dies, but the smallest was 4/40 up through 1/4-20. All American made including drill bits from 1 thru 90. A total of 40 dies 56 taps and 60 drills. All this and a very nice carrying case. $40.00......very good deal.

As always Friday afternoon is the best for me.

brasscarguy

17. Made the obligatory pilgrimage and saw all the regulars and tons of STUFF.. Bought a hot dog and a bag of Kettle Corn.

18. cwikstrom

cwikstrom
    from Edmonds

Hey Butch. I think I saw your delivery zip past me. Is it Orange.?

19. cwikstrom

cwikstrom
    from Edmonds

here's just a few tidbits that turned my crank. But as usual, I just left with a stack of old magazines.

Attached Files:

gsnort and Jalopy Joker like this.
  20. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a good time, found a couple things I needed, plus some good stuff to trade/resell. Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like there were al lot more Model As for sale this year than usual. Must have seen half a dozen coupes/coupe bodies, ranging from pitiful to pristine.

But I'll say this: If the PNW ever suffers an extended drought, all we gotta do is hold a swap meet.

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My Sedan Delivery is a very pale yellow, and with 4.88 gears, I would't be running it out that far from home. Fair weather car also, and only gets wet when it's washed. I've asked my Tri-Five friend to grab a transmission I saw, if it's still available; of course it was the farthest away from where I was parked so I did't get it on Saturday. Looks like the Gold Bar fire is controlled now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. I seldom find specific things I'm looking for, and often buy things I don't need - a perfect balance! I don't mind paying the $10 to park at all, they host a great event. Will be there in the fall for the next one!

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cwikstrom - Thanks for pics

24. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It was a good meet, picked up a couple items. I've only lived in the area for 3 years, this is a great meet as compared to the ones back in Michigan. Definitely alot more vintage parts here.

25. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

I went and got a couple good deals. Ended up finding an early header panel for my 32 Tudor sedan...paid just over half of what the guy was asking for it. It had just started to rain really hard on Saturday and he was packing up. I guess I caught him at just the right time. Also got a couple small pieces for the engine in my roadster. Friday was gorgeous...Saturday not so much. Oh well, you take the good with the bad in the PNW. I went in on Friday but didnt buy anything that day. It seems to me that every year there's more and more junk at Monroe...along with late model 60's and 70's stuff. Not too much early for stuff anymore.

I agree with the above however there did seem to be tons of Model A stuff there.

26. samurai mike

samurai mike

next weekend! oct. 8, 2016 let the count down begin. who's going?

caseywheels likes this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hey Mike, I'm in!

28. samurai mike

samurai mike

29. samurai mike

samurai mike

what, no caseywheels yet!

caseywheels likes this.
  30. Yoah ! ...im in ! Revolver !