Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mighty Mo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Wow! Don't think you ever posted that before. Pretty sad! Looks like Pa. tags on the Vette.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. Clik

Clik

Queenstown Flood 1 - cropped.jpg Here's a shot showing the car wash:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Clik

Clik

An old ad for the drive-in:

Attached Files:

4. Great shots. Thanks for posting these.

5. Clik

Clik

No problem Don. I'm always hoping someone who still lives in the general area will stop by the National Archives on Adelphi Rd and dig up some hot rodding history of the area. I know there were events reported in local papers that would be of interest.

6. Clik

Clik

I should add that those pics (I think) came to me from Patti Dugan who liked to cruise the area in fast cars and on fast motorcycles back in the day.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  7. Clik

Clik

Hot Shoppes Capital Plaza bit the dust this week. Bulldozed into history.

8. How are Cathy and Janie doing?

9. Clik

Clik

Catch up with Patti on FB. I'm sure she'd like to hear from ya. Patti Reilly

10. .........................Like the loss of an old friend. I wasted countless hours there, usually in this. 371417-1330979070-b1609aaea8b48871e050528e025dcc36.jpg

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  11. Sorry for that loss, Don. Progress, you know. But, progress can't bulldoze our memories. Hearing this makes me want to do a road trip... drive by some of the old haunts, even if they are no longer there. We aren't getting any younger and the longer time goes by, the more progress takes over, whether it's worthwhile or not.
    It's funny, but I reconnected with this thread late last nite out of pure coincidence. I had subscribed long ago, but unbeknownst to me the subscription was deleted somehow at some point, although not by me. I just thot it was one of those threads that fall dormant over time. Lucky for me that I just happened to look at "new posts" late last nite and saw the title. Although I wasn't a regular "MO Rat," going to the Queenstown MO occurred fairly often. It was a lot of fun and a lasting memory. Definitely a highlight of my youth.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  12. They say you can never go back. The memories will be tarnished. I have not been there for a few years but if the area is the same as I saw then they ought to Nuke it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Bowtie Coupe and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. No disrespect to anyone who might live there but, I try to stay out of PG County as much as possible. :D

14. To quote Smokey Robinson of the Miracles, "I second that emotion!" When I went to the car show at the American Legion last Saturday, that was the most that I've been there in many years.

15. Not quite sure where the line is but, I think that was either Howard or Anne Arundel.

16. ............................I stand corrected. Looks like the American Legion is just a hair over the line into PG, but if you tripped and fell you might wind up in either Howard or Anne Arundel.:D:eek:

17. Clik

Clik

Yes the Mo had bumps, speed bumps.

18. Every now and then I have to bump this thread back up in hopes some newbies see it and might share some memories.:)

19. Clik

Clik

I'm with ya.

I Google Earthed some of the old haunts today. It looks like the people there now who might hang out and talk Hot Rods would be discussing fast camels, donkey carts and elephants.

20. ...............................Sad but true.

lothianwilly71 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  21. Clik

Clik

22. Clik

Clik

23. Maybe they are from the BARA (Black American Racers Assoc.). It was formed in NJ but had chapters and off shoot clubs in MD and Va. Malcolm Durham was honored at one of their conventions, could be the Hyattsville connection.

24. Sloopjonb22

Sloopjonb22

I remember the Moe back in the 60's. Get a mighty moe and hot fudge icream cake and go to the drive in thru the exit and park real fast and enjoy, did that for many years.

25. Sloopjonb22

Sloopjonb22

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  26. Sloopjonb22

Sloopjonb22

And if I remember right there was a Burger Chef right down the road. If you couldn't afford a moe you bought a couple burgers from there and a coke at the moe and sit and watch the cars go by.

27. Sloopjonb22

Sloopjonb22

28. Sloopjonb22

Sloopjonb22

We also hung out at the Bethesda Hot Shoppes for the rich girls. Ended up dating one for about half a year but the dances every week at her school was killing my budget so I had to go. Worked at the A&P in Chillum making 2.75 hr only good thing gas was .25 gal. holy crap.