Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Official Chrysler Flathead 6 W/ Dual Carbs Dual Exhaust Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, May 12, 2016.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Today my new George Asche/Kingsbury AoK Racing dual carb intake, tru split exhaust (not just a 2nd dump) , large bore/cfm truck Carter B&Bs linkages, arrived.
    This is going onto my 1955 Fargo 238 Chrysler flathead 6 engine.
    I plan to use this set-up on this engine, for the time being, and do have a high-perf 265 Mopar flattie in the planning stages.
    So any and all please share your stories experiences and post on this topic...

Attached Files:

2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

bump for the day shift, gotta be some Chrysler flathead 6 guys on here

6inarow and Rumblin Rolf like this.
  3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Really!

Zero-fighter likes this.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'm going to tag along. I was interested in doing a flat six when I still had that '17 Dodge a while back.

5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Okay great, nice to meet your acquaintance BTW.
    There are a couple of threads, relating to Chrysler flathead 6 performance, but not much.
    I invite all those interested or experienced to share on this topic...

6. deanopopino

deanopopino
    from Troy, MO

Something like that would look sweet under the hood of my '53 Plymouth.

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Likewise. Here's the link to my old thread. There's some discussion on these engines in it and maybe some links/threads that you haven't found yet:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hers-touring-halloween-yard-art.947165/page-2

8. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

It would look good, but this is for a 25 inch long block engine.
    All Canadian Chrysler flathead 6s were based on the 25 inch long blocks..

9. Bmartin

Bmartin
    from mesa,az

I'm working on getting mine together. 230 with Edmunds intake and split exhaust. Engine and OD tranny built by Mr. Asche.

20160513_141603.jpg

20160513_141625.jpg

10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I am waiting on the block for my speedster to get back from the machine shop.Once that happens I can go ahead and assemble the engine.(1949 218)

11. coffman

coffman

'54 Chrysler 264ci, balanced and bored, Spitfire head cut .125 and cleared for valves, factory 2.5" Dodge truck intake& exhaust,Webber 2barrels, Heim joint custom linkage. 5spd. In my '47 Plymouth Deluxe. IMG_2949.JPG IMG_2937.JPG

12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Very Nice.

Betcha your Plym, pulls away a lot better than a short 218 stock engine? Very Nice set-up

13. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I always look at the threads dealing with the Mopar Flathead. Here is my work in progress. Flathead with 3 onda tree.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      258.1 KB
      Views:
    55Deso and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. Robin (UK)

Robin (UK)

I run this Plymouth convertible in London, England...
    230 Dodge motor, Fenton head, Fenton headers with dual pipes all the way back.
    Plus an overdrive transmission.
    I've recently changed from a Sharp dual carb intake, to a water-heated Edmunds. That seems to have given the car even more 'pep'.
    I'll be running the car (again) at the VHRA Hot Rod Races at Pendine Sands in a few weeks time...

IMG_3772.jpg IMG_3773.jpg IMG_20160515_193513448_HDR.jpg Pendine 2015.jpg

hfh, Jet96, Big Swede and 9 others like this.
  15. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I put this Fenton intake system together in the late seventies and ran it on my '40 coupe for many years. These flat head sixes look, run, and sound great with the dual intake and split exhaust! Fenton intake.jpg

16. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup, nice engines, and still built for modern times, full pressure oil, bearing inserts, aluminum pistons, forged cranks, hardened exhaust valve seats.
    How much difference do you think I should notice with my new upgrades?
    At some point either building a 265, or gonna heat up this motor, shaved head, hotter cam...

17. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Well a little progress, have a new gasket set for the manifolds.
    The manifold stud nuts back off easy, the good news, bad news is 2 studs are backing out, so have to drain antifreeze, no big deal.
    I had the manifolds off less than 2 years ago, so the bugger of a job was back then.
    I have a carter glass bowl filter, so will mount it with the fuel block, and it will be on the firewall far away from the exhaust...
    Hope to install the duals soon, tossing around whether I will repaint engine and paint up all the parts..

Attached Files:

18. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Here is a video I made earlier today, did the install last week, still need air cleaners and a little more exhaust work.
    I built all the exhaust at home with what I had,

Hollywood-East likes this.
  19. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Here spruced up the engine, waiting on air cleaners, but done for now, if that's possible.
    The engine is a little tired, but gonna build a 265, hotter cam and shaved head yada yada, and swap in at some point, that will liven up things.

Attached Files:

Big Swede, mgtstumpy and Johnnyr13 like this.
  20. Well hey, swing by and pick me up so we can go zooming around.;)

Sounds good, I have always liked the sucking sound a carb on an old flathead 6 makes. One of my buddies in high school had a '48 Desoto that we out the biggest Chrysler 6 in it we could find. Whenever he gassed it the carb made the absolute neatest sucking sound. I loved it. :cool:

21. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Hey Beaner, it ain't too far, well just about 800 miles north on I 29 in Canada.
    Its a nice set-up, might be burning a tad rich, have not had a chance to get out for a decent long drive....

22. Well at least you can't get lost on the way. :D

23. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

What is the approximate cost to do a dual carb and exhaust for the 230??? Ya'll have me itching to do this to my green '59 Dodge Coronet 4dr sedan. I need to sell the tan colored '59 which also has a flathead in it.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      258.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      223 KB
      Views:
    Caprice89 likes this.
  24. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I like it! Keep up the good work!

25. mrdodge

mrdodge

Looking to put a flat 6 in my Model A RPU once the banger dies (it's getting sick). Have a 218 out of a '53 Dodge panel van. I've got an Edgy finned head & side plates & a twin carb manifold to go with it & a S10 T5 to replace the 3 speeder. If anyone knows how to fit a 23" motor into a Model A engine bay without cutting the firewall, I'd be real keen to hear your thoughts.

26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

With freshly rebuilt matching carbs, the linkage, the dual intake, either header or a customade made split exhaust manifold, and new exhaust, count on a $1000. If you pull the cam and put in something with more L&D, then add $250

That would be kool, before you get all hung up on the T5 with this set-up, do your homework on the pitfalls of that conversion, as there are pitfalls.
    You can convert t a Chrylser A833 4 spd overdrive, with a very simple adapter plate, the gear spread is right, and this is a tough trans.

Attached Files:

Byron McMahon, ezrods, FIFTY2 and 3 others like this.
  27. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Here's an updated video,

Big Swede likes this.
  28. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Can anyone give me some tips/instructions on how to dial in a dual carb setup on a 230ci? I have the vacumn gauge but have no idea how to go about this.

29. mrdodge

mrdodge