Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fenderless Rods Chassis Color, Black or Body Matching?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, May 10, 2016.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Just looking to get some thoughts on this, see if there is any kind of consensus or any "rules of thumb". It seems like with an A on A rails, it's most common to see the chassis painted black, not matching the body paint. But put that A on 32 rails and that seems to change, then it's more common for the rails to match the body color. Unless it's channeled, then the rails may be black.

But even if the rails are body colored, what about the rest of the chassis. You see some rods where everything, front/rear axles included, are painted to match the body. Then you see some of course with chromed front ends, but then what about the rear axle? The "all one color" look tends to look a little street roddish to me, though not always. Is there a "traditional" way?

I realize that personal preference over rules all, but what are your thoughts on this? What do you like to see.

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here's some examples:

The first is what I think of as traditional, black chassis, colored body:
    [​IMG]

But then you have something like this:
    [​IMG]

And an A on 32 rails, body matching color:

[​IMG]

And here is a channeled 32 with color matching rails:

[​IMG]

But here is one with black rails:
    [​IMG]

Rickybop likes this.
  3. Well traditionally the axles would be chrome. :D

I like suspension pieces to either be chrome or black with chrome accents. I think that once you start getting everything the same color you start leaning toward the mono chrome era and are just one step away from pastels.

The reason that a deuce chassis becomes body color is that the chassis is a piece of art. It is a natural extension of the body, where as the chassis on a stockish model A is more utilitarian and thus wants to be as invisible as possible. Does that make any sense?

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I tend to like the all one color theme, but have never associated it as being street roddish.
    In fact I can't really understand the aversion to the street rod thing. Yes, they went crazy for a while with all the billet and Easter egg color, however most street rodders were and are still hot rodders.

In any case, do what appeals to your own eye and taste.

Max Gearhead and maplefrm like this.

5. On the Hamb you will find members here on both sides of the body/frame painting conundrum.

I for one like the frame painted the same color as the body when building a hiboy,regardless of body style,I'll post a photo of my old roadster to support my side.

[​IMG]

My pal Mark (ct1932ford) will probably disagree,This is his roadster.

[​IMG]

It's a mater of personal taste and as far as I know there is no rule of thumb regarding which method to use. HRP

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    tb33anda3rd and Blues4U like this.
  6. I prefer the frame to match the body color, then with suspension pieces either chrome, or a combination of matching color, chrome, and accent colors (so it doesn't look like a paint bomb went off).

7. el shad

el shad

If its a lowboy (channeled or not) color match the frame. Makes the car look even lower.

No matter my opinion; If you apply true style, and your personal touch you cant go wrong.

8. LMFAO a paint bomb. :D :D :D

I think that there are two reasons for me to paint the frame black, one is that I never really use a "Nice Looking frame" and the other is that I know I can paint it black and then decide on a body color later.

Now if I were using a deuce to a model 40 frame that would change obviously. I would have to think things through before I got away from myself.

I like the accent colors idea, maybe a combination of gold and black would be pretty sharp and tie it all together.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Man that's a tough one. I guess it's a case by case choice. Some cars look too street rod-y with a matching chassis color (like the tudor above) but then look at Branch's car - looks fine. It seems like, in the old days only the top of the line show/street rods had matching chassis/body color, most everyday street cars had a black/white or unpainted chassis with just the sheet metal painted. I know the chassis' on mine were all black.

10. Crankhole

Crankhole

Black chassis for that early look.

Late to the Party and Blues4U like this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Haha! Only for Lakers or Raven's fans!

13. A on A rails. All the same color. 20150815_112027.jpg

dan31 and Blues4U like this.
  14. Seems like when the build gets "prettier" or more of a custom, the co-ordination of paint and a painted frame comes more in to play. Black frames say business and seem to be on more of a raw hot rod. 32's don't always have to have a matching frame as Marks car clearly proves, but his car gives me the feel of a different era
    Pretty simple to look at all the examples above^^^ and see what feeling you get for each build. What era and level of customization was the builder looking for.
    Then you build whatever the hell you want. :D

15. You make a valid point with era,I was leaning more toward the 60's style with the orange roadster Marks roadster would pass for a car built 2 decades earlier. HRP

16. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

1934 Chevy on factory frame same color as body when no fender are used. That's just the way I like it. Would have painted the frame black if I had decided to use fenders. 006.JPG

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      209.8 KB
      Views:
    mercjoe likes this.
  17. robracer1

robracer1

I like the black frame DSC01857.JPG

Dino64 and Blues4U like this.
  18. I matched my frame to the firewall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AHotRod and dan31 like this.
  19. car doctor

car doctor

I prefer a black frame for the old and traditional look. 2015-12-23 14.16.39.jpg

AHotRod and Dino 64 like this.
  20. JakRak

JakRak

I tend to prefer black frames on darker colored cars, and body colored frames on lighter colored cars.

It becomes a non-issue if you paint the car black, because then you have both a black frame AND a body colored one.

21. This car is the exception to my standard way of thinking,with the body channeled down over the frame and not visible except forward from the firewall. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  22. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

There's too many personal opinions and variables for this subject.

It's like asking what the best flavor of ice cream is.

Late to the Party likes this.
  23. Well that ones easy, it's Blue Moon.

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Please don't be offended, but this is what I meant by they start to look street roddish. The wheels you've used, the IFS, the electric fan all add to that image.

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice example of a black 32 chassis, thank you

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

And this brings up other frame colors besides black that are not matching the body color. Very nice, BTW, I love this car (really enjoyed your recent thread on cleaning up the engine compartment and wiring). What did you do with the rear axle/suspension?

27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Very nice, what color is the body? At first glance it almost looks black, but then you realize it's not.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Eh, the answers so far have been helpful for me, besides it's just a good reason to look at some cars as examples and discuss, which is the reason we're here, right?

29. Personally I like it simple...Vanilla ice cream.BTW,I though Blue Moon was a beer. HRP

30. 2Loose

2Loose

Or what the perfect woman is like....

Do it what ever way you want, I like em all....
    (that includes ice cream and women...)