Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bad to run straight pipes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, May 10, 2016.

1. indyjps

indyjps

See if the shop has Walker turbo mufflers, they are pretty standard in the industry, actually the parent company of dynomax.
    I've used walkers / dynomax for years, they offer a lot of products, all sound great to me. Depends in what you're doing.

2. I would cheat for a fat bottom girl. LOL

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  3. Agree to comments by HRP.
    Not every car on here is a Cadillac.
    When entering the "old car hobby", one should determine if the wallet will be able to feed the hobby.
    Much like buying a puppy because he's cute, but not having the cash to feed the puppy.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. LOL that's what the plasma bank is for. ;)

volvobrynk and 29AVEE8 like this.
  5. Fender1325

Fender1325

It annoys me when people talk about what a cadillac is supposed to be. I hear that too often. Its a 66 year old car that I breathed life back into, and got back on the street. Water pump, carburetor, coker white walls, wheel cylinders/brakes, lighting, paint, floorboards, fuel pump, radiator and the list goes on. Forgive me if Im not chomping at the $600 bit to put freakin pipe on it just yet.

And yes, all your chevrolets, fords, pontiacs etc. were hush quiet when they came out of the factory. "That 32 isnt supposed to be loud. Its not a hot rod! Dont chop that top!" You know how annoying itd be? Lighten up

Blues4U likes this.
  6. Fender1325

Fender1325

By the way, all the high horse fat wallets came out with "do it the right way! you cant polish a turd!" when I asked about putting down some clear lacquer to shine up my sun baked cadillac. Said it would peel and all hell would break loose. Well, 50 dollars and a year later its been doing just fine. Before and after:
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

7. Actually my motor was a loud sombitch when it was new or at least its brothers were. My block didn't pass muster so it got auctioned, it was never meant to see the street.

There is nothing wrong with the old caddy having a low rumble. I had a '72 Eldorodo that rumbled from the factory. What you want to avoid, and you won't like it either if it happens, is for it to sound like a tractor. If you keep your pipes long enough you shouldn't have that problem.

Here is a trick that the Ol' Man used to do, maybe a future plan for when you are ready for a change, he used to run resonators instead of mufflers. They go toward the end of the pipe normally think E type Jag here. You can get them that would blend right in they are not pricey and he even did it on high end customer cars for the rich and sporty crowd.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I see nothing wrong with a vintage Caddy that you can hear the exhaust note, nothing wrong at all.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This thread reminds me of way back when, I was only 18 or so, and I had gotten a little carried away one night in my old VW bug driving it off road for some reason, and ended up ripping a hole in the exhaust pipe. I "repaired" it the next day with some old beer cans I split open, wrapped around it and secured with some old hose clamps out of my dad's collection. I actually ended up driving it around quite a while like that. :O

volvobrynk and Fender1325 like this.
  10. Had a '64 Barracuda in college. Couldn't afford to buy a new exhaust pipe - or even a clamp or two - so found a discarded swing set, went to work with the hack saw and cut off some metal perf tape. Quieted the noise for a year, until I could afford to do it right. Wouldn't ever do that stunt again, however.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. If you "hear it too often", regarding what the Cadillac is supposed to be, just maybe those folks are correct.
    In the end, it's your car.
    If you're going to ask questions here, you may get answers that will get you annoyed.
    Radius out the rear wheel openings, put it on a 4 x 4 chassis ..... and don't fix the exhaust. Feel better now ?

town sedan likes this.
  12. LOL when I was in high school I thought that scavenger pipes would be cool on my old Roadmaster. My moms house was really old and there were some down spouts left over from when they had worked on it so I cabbaged onto them. They were actually a perfect fit for the ends of my mufflers and the crimped end with a little ball peen and anvil work made a nice bell. It took a bit for the paint to burn off and it was pretty stinky for a couple of days but I had a pair of scavenger pipes.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

The thing is..... some stock engines just sound like a crappy old tractor when you leave off the mufflers, louder but not very appealing. What the hell, throw on the pipes of your choice and see how you like it.
    I've put two different sets of mufflers and tailpipes on my '56 Chevy (DIY) and I still don't like the sound. I decided to wait til I swap in the peppier motor, then try again.
    BTW; the car looks a bunch better than when it started out

falcongeorge and Fender1325 like this.
  14. AR chambers were played with a bit in the 70's and 80's. The late Great Jim Fueling was the main guy who worked on this and held a patent, Cyclone licensed it and made the AR headers. The effects can be effective, but they can also create over scavenging if the AT tube is not sized right for the engine combination. There are other ways to achieve the result, including tubes that are slightly larger than the ports, a step or shelf in the port itself (Like most late model Harley's), step tubes, Torque Cones, and even a simple small round tube through the center of the collector! I think the reason you don't see them anymore is Cyclone/Blackjack was the one who licensed the patent and they went out of business - not sure if the patent is still in effect. On top of tat they added complexity and cost to manufacturing for a gain that much of the public didn't understand.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Copy and paste from the Net?

16. Not hardly. High school chem class ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Cut out the rusted out areas and take them to a muffler shop and have them reproduced adding a couple of inches on each end and flaring the ends to fit over the old pipe and use a clamp to secure. Not really the best solution but will get you to the point of having the system done right.

18. Fender1325

Fender1325

Yes.

19. Strikes me as odd you being annoyed when we are offering solutions to your problem,you say the exhaust is causing headaches and elevating your hypertension.

You were going to fix the problem.

Personal I tend to think of a caddy as a custom,not a hot rod,but what I think has absolutely no bearing on this thread.

What annoys me is getting your drawers in a knot because you don't like the reply's.HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Fender1325

Fender1325

Sorry if Im a bit brusk. Around once a month I go out with my father in law and a bunch of his old buddies.....majority are in their late 70's. One of their favorite things to do is to tell me, the young guy in the group at 30, what Im doing wrong or how Im messing something up. They all remember how these cars were back in the day, and how inexpensive it was to get things fixed. They dont quite grasp how hard it is for a 30 year old in 2016 to buy and fix a car from 1950. None of them own old cars, and nobody I know my age is into or owns an old car. Everything the old guys think is a cakewalk has been inflated in cost 16 times over, and is made of unobtanium.

Now an exhaust is just plumbing, but if I had 600 bucks laying around I wouldnt be here asking if I was doing damage by a cheap but temporary out. Matter of fact, I have a basket case 56 caddy Im trying to revive too, which is proving to put me in over my head. Old Mr. 50 might go to another owner at some point but thats a whole other ball of wax.

21. LOL I am almost one of those 70 year olds and my sis is one. :D

I have always wrenched my own stuff and hustled time in this shop or that to do what I couldn't do at home. Only the gold chainers on the site don't understand scrapping to get by, some of us are offering advice from experience because things were not that good when we were young either and we figured out that there was a better way to do things. Some of us took a long time to do it, the figuring out part.

Oh and don't worry about your attitude they all got pants to get glad in just like the ones they got mad in.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

But "that" sound is pretty popular on here...

23. :pphttttt Who said? :D

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

I heard that old tale about doing damage to the exhaust valves when I was younger but an older guy in the neighborhood who ran a drag boat with zoomies told me, "by the time the air gets to that valve through that hot pipe, it will be nice and warm and the valve will have cooled down some." I figure he had a point.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that a lot of guys think they have to make their own exhaust system for one reason or another bur even though I did muffler work for a while trying to put a system together at home is a pain and actually doesn't cost much if any less than many muffler shops.

I'd just bite the bullet and have a shop put a decent dual exhaust setup on it with a pair of either free flowing stock style mufflers or glasspacks and be done with it. It might call for cheap beer for the rest of the month but being able to stand behind that Caddy and listen to it burble like a Chris Craft speed boat and not get a headache when driving it.

26. It takes extremes in temperature to warp the valves. Like poppin hot mill and 30 below @ shut off, very short distance to the valve from the cold.

Now this is way off topic because we have already established that the OPs valves are not going to burn or warp because of straight pipes but someone is going to mention that P32 Mustangs had short pips and flew in the cold but they seldom cool off at altitude and they actually capped the exhaust on them when they landed. I always figured it was the keep the birds out but ya just never know. ;)

gimpyshotrods and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Fender1325

Fender1325

Haha, if drinking cheap beer for 1 month afforded me a new exhaust on the caddy, Id have a lot bigger problems than exhaust pipes!
    But I hear what you all are saying.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Get your dad and his cronies to take a ride with you in the caddy and when a couple of them lose conscious possibly you can get dad to make you a loan.:D HRP

29. stimpy

stimpy

his year book picture upload_2016-5-10_15-0-43.jpeg

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Fender1325

Fender1325

Some exhaust notes I like:

Id say that last one is the clearest example. Just an old raspy tone. Thats my favorite.....caddy doesnt sound too far from it now with the rotted exhaust.