Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** MAY 2016 BANGER MEET - MAY THE 4 BANGER BE WITH YOU ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2016.

1. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

The intake is not welded to the head I just propped it up there to get a idea of how kool its going to loo. The head needs work. 2 spots need to be welded on it. Hopefully the guy that started to fix it before the previous owner of it pulled it from the shop can finish the work he started. If not it will be garage art. All the pieces are there, just hope its not a expensive paperweight.
    Matt

2. It has been on an electric fuel pump and regulator since before I got it. I have replaced both though. Starting to think I may have a bad plug wire or they are/were not in the right order on the cap. We'll see how it goes when I put it all back together. Still on the fence about taking the valves out, but what can it hurt at this point...

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Is the electric pump still plumbed the original one?

4. No it is all stand alone, with feed from the original firewall connection. It is a carter/malpassi combination.

Winzy likes this.
  5. Thanks VF4. I'm hoping it will be a good backup motor. The motor in my coupe was last rebuilt in 1945!!

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[Other than the oil pump just falling out with the pan (is that normal), [/QUOTE]is this normal? inquiring minds want to know

7. Seems as though the set screw that locks the oil pump in place was just tightened until it stopped. It was too short and never protruded through the boss to make contact with the oil pump. So, the oil pump at some time slid out of place and away from the drive gear. A few minutes with a tap and the threads were good all the way through and the set screw now locks the oil pump in place. Planning on manually turning the crank a time or two to watch the valves. Waiting on a new full set of gaskets, a fresh plane on the cylinder head and It'll go back together with another round of fresh fluids.

8. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Oil pump is held in place by the spring between the pump and the bottom of the sump
    that screw in not ment to hold it it is a tapered thread so that it will seal
    that is also removable for those using a gauge

9. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so if i want to pull my pan, how do i keep the pump from falling out

10. hmmm... learning as I go again. So, once the pan is back on, I should back that screw out? Then obviously put sealer on the threads.

11. Last edited: May 9, 2016
    gas pumper likes this.
  12. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Where can I get a nice header flange to build my own header with?

13. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yep he is good

15. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I like his product and have tried to contact him. A friend tried as well. Niether one of us has gotten any response. I'll keep trying

16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Anyone know where I can get a hi comp head....like a place that has them available for sale and not back ordered. I need one in the next week or two. Another member on here offered to loan met his if I can't come up with something. I have a b head right now and a b water pump on my car but am try g to figure out how to get clearance for fan and radiator. If I switch to a A head it won't be a issue.

17. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Bill from wac customs just contacted me back....all it took was a good Ole fashioned phone call

BCCHOPIT and Outback like this.
  18. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

Snyder's had Thomas heads when I checked about three weeks ago....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

try typing model A "high compression for sale"

20. MJW

MJW
    from NJ

You could use a V8 60 water pump and go fanless for the TROG I don't think the B head needs an adapter like the A but not sure.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. jkeesey

jkeesey

1462838068134.jpg anybody recognize this logo? It's a cast iron single point A dizzy I picked up at Carlisle. The cap looks similar to the Mallory I had but so far I can't find any info on this one.

Sent from my E6782 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Warner Brothers?

23. Tuumer

Tuumer
    from Finland

Here are few pictures about this Snyder´s Thomas head. Quality of this head is not very high.
    However i´m satisfied Snyder's customer service and i´m going to be their customer in future too.

Second picture shows really tiny hole in the head that was leaking coolant, I found it after installation when filling radiator.
    Both of these was luckily quite easy to repair.
    Thomas_head.jpg Thomas_head_2.jpg

24. Crankhole

Crankhole

Possibly a stupid question but here it goes...
    Could a U-shaped adapter be bolted to a stock A intake to run a downdraft carb? Too far for the fuel to travel?

25. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Hate to spend almost 600 for head by the time it's shipped and have problems. I had good luck w my lion. I just don't want to take my other car apart to steal the head

26. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Ok so I found a new lion and I can get a thomas....any opinions lol

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Might be a Wico.

28. first thing that comes to my mind, is an early military Willys jeep converted to fit an A or B but it's hard to say when the picture only shows a small portion! It looks like an easy conversion if you just cut the shaft down!
    Joe

29. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you turn it upside down, it is a 'M'

30. G Baese

G Baese

Gee Larry, is it an M or a dubia...
    willys-logo.jpg

gas pumper, jkeesey and 530sandman like this.