Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. hipster, 55belairx2, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  2. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lmao!Tony,you freakin crack me up Brother!

Scott

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey all-

I just wanted to give a quick update to you on a few things following a MDA meeting at Eric's house to prep for the Meltdown:

1) We have well over 600 cars registered and a growing waiting list...how cool is that. We also have had to turn away more cars than ever that don't meet the criteria.
    2) The track is going to continue to tighten up tech inspection. If your harness/seatbelts are out of code...do your family (your wife & kids more than likely care about you) a favor and get them updated. Also...for the love of god have dual return springs on your carbs! Safety first!
    3) We have some really good raffle prizes for racers this year...stay tuned for more info on those.
    4) We will be making more room for race cars...we will be able to fit everyone
    5) The event shirts are looking amazing...you are going to want to buy two of them this year...trust me!

Quite a few guys have some work to do to get their cars ready....stay at it folks...only 67 days until it is here!

4. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Hey Jeff - I'll agree to be your relief driver only if you agree to steer clear of all the dude and dude part posts! Hey, you're not setting me up as a sacrificial lamb only to get trampled by Scott's pony are ya??? Let me know if I need to come out and help ya shoe horn that Arias into the Doker...might have to look into some better rear tires too! I hope I still remember which side the return road is on! I guess IF I'm behind, Scott will be kind enough to turn on his directional...such a courteous racer!

loudbang, Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  5. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

loudbang, Dog_Patch and II FUNNY like this.
  6. powrshftr

powrshftr

The trunk,also known as the "over the shoulder Hemi holder"...

Scott

55belairx2 likes this.
  7. powrshftr

powrshftr

I think Tony's making so much power now,that all the weight he has to add to make class weight would probably be equal to a fully dressed early Hemi.

Looking forward to seeing you again,and seeing the new,improved,and more vicious Quick n Dirty makes some wheels up passes!

Scott

Dog_Patch and 55belairx2 like this.
  8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

All of you stick shift guys......What are some of your opinions on clutch manufacturers? Good ones??? Bad ones??? Indifferent ones??? What brands have you had good or bad luck with?

I started to change the clutch in my 55, last weekend. Before tearing it apart, I figured it would just need a new disc. However, it looks like the pressure plate is finally showing it's age.......It's only about 35 years old???? Yeah, the last time I replaced the pressure plate was about 1980 or 1981.

I'm not talking about anything really fancy. Just a 10 1/2" Borg and Beck single disc clutch, with 2750 lbs. of static pressure, (the factory rating of my old pressure plate). The old one is a Hays. However, it looks like Hays discontinued this clutch about 10 years ago. By the way....It's been at least 15 years since I last bought a new pressure plate, (for my 59 Chevy), so experience with these "New" clutch manufacturers is somewhat lacking. LOL.

I've heard good things about Ram clutches. On the other hand, from looking into this today, I've heard bad things about Hays clutches, although mine has done very well.

There is another option.

I already have a NOS Schiefer Rev Loc diaphragm. Of course, being a Schiefer means that it's at least from the late 1970's. The age doesn't bother me so much, but being a diaphragm clutch does, (at least for high performance use). I had problems with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor with the only street / strip style diaphragm clutch that I ever used. However, the Schiefer has a 3000 lb. static rating, so it's comparable to my old one. Plus, then I could put one of those cool looking Schiefer decals in my window. :D

I'd like to use a "Made in USA" clutch, but it looks like there aren't any made here anymore. :mad: At least according to the RAM sales rep.

Schiefer Decal.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

I swear by the Ram stuff.Lots of 6200rpm launches weren't able to hurt mine.
    But if you've already got the Scheifer stuff....The cheapskate in me says use it!
    I just wanna see that car at the track,no matter what.That is one slick looking Chevy!
    Somehow it perfectly straddles the line between classy and mean looking:)

Scott

Tickety Boo likes this.
  10. This is a RAM sintered iron. They have been working great for clutch dumping wheel stands. Might not be what you want on the street. Not sure. Pat Norcia at RAM told me they are good for 100 passes. At the rate I'm going this year, sucking screws into the intake and breaking the Hightower trans, it'll last for years :(
    ram_sintered_iron.jpg

30dodgeboy and loudbang like this.
  11. Marc if I ever hit 5.74 in the 1/8th it needs 150lbs, so the plan is to bolt two iron 392 heads in the trunk. :) It might help - the tires broke loose when it hit 4th gear at Greer :eek:

12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well we had to get a bit creative this weekend, first drive with the nose on the car. Not nearly enough air available up there to keep her cool. First we cut all the louvers out of the grill but we still had to add a few well placed holes. The next step is to build a box that fits between the front of the radiator and the front clip when it is in place. That way all the air coming into the area HAS to flow through the radiator.

[​IMG]

loudbang, 62Furious and Dog_Patch like this.
  13. the mcloud street twins in my opinion are the best. the extra disc provides the needed surface area to make it live. they offer a new design that lets you use your existing flywheel saving money. the best pressure plate on the twin uses the optional ford long three fingers that have rollers. the longer levers allow for a higher rpm smooth shift with less pedal travel. they are completely streetable. if the car has any power at all a single rag disc will fail a lot sooner. they are well worth the little bit extra.

loudbang likes this.
  14. What is the disc made out of?

15. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Ric and I have McLeod stuff in our cars and they've been great! Our dad said he blew up a Schiefer flywheel or two and swore he'd never use their stuff again. Don't know about their clutches though. Their stickers are cool!

loudbang likes this.
  16. they offer several kinds of discs. I have always used the rag without problems. its not so much the material but the extra surface area. some of the discs offered are too aggressive for the street. so define your use before you order. I have driven through so many single discs sometimes in three passes I wont ever buy another. half of the clutch is the linkage. without that working right no clutch will work as it should. herb mchandles told me once when I was trying to find a cheap way to buy a part. no one has the money to buy the correct part the first time but they always find the money the second time. I never forgot that. it has saved me a lot of money over the years.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Seems odd that it would get that hot. Is it the blower that's adding all the heat? My car won't hit 180 even at 15:1.

18. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

What about dual radiator fans?

Went back to look at video of the 1st test run and looks like you need more fans.:rolleyes:

I run a large single 2 speed fan from a 90s Buick, (cause its junk yard cheap)
    on high speed ( through a headlight relay ) it moves a lot of air:cool:

62Furious likes this.
  19. a blower creates pressure and the byproduct is heat lots of heat. my manifold inlet temps run close to 240 degrees. think about how that pre heated incoming air is placing more demand on the cooling system. not to mention a opening in the front of the car the size of a postage stamp with a gas tank covering some of that up. air flow is everything.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the issue, as always with this car is real estate. When we changed and went to the blower, we lost the room for the dual puller fan set up that we had in place. All that was left was a fairly thin front area for a pusher fan. I searched all over the for the most powerful pusher I could find that would fit. It is a 19" and moves 2750 cfm (a huge number for a pusher). But when we put the front end on, it not only captured the engine/blower and header heat, but more importantly the factory nose really restricted the air flow. I think we are all good now. But if not, we have already devised hiding a duck system in the firewall that has the potential of pumping nearly 5,000 cfm out of there on demand. That would be like driving 56 miles per hour standing still...

Tickety Boo and Dog_Patch like this.
  21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Ordered a new Ram pressure plate, yesterday. The headers showed up from Jet Hot last week. Also, the Muncie case, (along with a new countergear shaft and iron midplate), is back from David's 4 Speeds in Milwaukee. Now all I have to do is put everything back together. Thanks for all of the clutch advice. After all this is done, it's back to work on the GMC.

loudbang and powrshftr like this.
  22. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got a problem.My 3-bolt crankshaft pulley won't play nice with the 4-bolt crankshaft damper.
    Has anybody got a 4-bolt,single sheave 302 Ford crankshaft pulley?
    I'm in deep doodoo if I can't find one.

Scott

23. I got ya covered Scott!

powrshftr likes this.
  24. powrshftr

powrshftr

You're the best AJ!:)

25. P
    Ah you were just slip'n on gear oil from your abuse gear box!

loudbang likes this.
  26. Dog_Patch and Tickety Boo like this.
  27. This is when Obi Won Kabuddy was trying to keep Tony Skydogpatcher from going to the dark side. "Feel the force, be one with the small block".

Dog_Patch, Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Heading out to Fred's this morning straight off the night shift to see how the little 289" noisemaker is coming along....Will throw a pic or two up once I get there:)

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Sorry fellas....No pics of the top secret cylinder head and intake manifold tricks.
    Can't give away ALL my secrets,right...?;)

Scott

Dog_Patch likes this.
  30. powrshftr

powrshftr

Although,Fred did tell a really cool story while I was there, about riding in Bill Jenkins' manual trans dually truck,late as hell,with Jenkins rowing gears like a madman,taking back roads to make it to Maple Grove on time for Fred to run in the first round....:)