Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historical "Little One "

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by corncobcoupe, May 6, 2016.

1. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

59 IMPALA GLOW PICTURE.png 59 IMPALA REAR.png View attachment 3210537 59 IMPALA INTERIOR.png Things seem to have a way of destiny..........

I grew up with older brothers and had the fortune of my oldest brother take me multiple years to the Hartford Autorama shows at the Hartford Armory in Connecticut in the mid 1960's.

I was 5,6,7 at the time and have my brothers to thank taking me at a young age to THE Big Connecticut Car show for Kustoms and Hot Rods etc.

After all, who wants to take their "Little" Brother with them to a car show when they had the chance to just hang out with their buddies going, or take a girl on a date ?
    I remember one year - my oldest brother took a girl (date) with "us".

Those memories, taking me to the car shows at that young age, burned into me and made a life lasting feeling of automotive passion and excitement.

So with that I am sharing what is now in my garage.......

Fellow HAMB member Marcus Edell found this car late last year sitting, disappeared for 20 - 25 years in decay in Milwaukee, rescued it and shipped to California for some serious TLC. It stayed in California for only a brief time as things seem to have a way of destiny. We came to agreement this historical Kustom belonged back in the Midwest with me where it's original life began.

I can honestly say , the feeling of seeing Kustom Cars in the Mid 60's when I was 5,6,7 years old, this car does that for me and to me.

I am now the Ambassador/ caretaker of this 59 Impala Hardtop, early 60's Joe Roth Kustom,
    The "Little One" survivor, customized in 1962, and will be sharing it's history in the Heartland where it all started and beyond.

It is Important that we don't lose various times in Automotive history. That era played a huge roll in taking what you had for various car parts, or what young men at that time could find, scavenge or swap to use their imagination of blending various model parts turning into what I consider automotive art.

It isn't for everyone, but for me how many can say they get to feel the exact same feeling 50 years later ?

Enjoy

Friendly Note......Mark Moriarity isn't the only guy with cool shit now.

2. Sweet!:cool:

1927graham likes this.
  3. Torchie

Torchie

Congratulations. I have seen this car being offered for sale on various site and am glad that it went to someone that can appreciate it.
    Torchie

Scott Mannion and Denns1989 like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You got it made... welcome to the club!!!

Gotgas likes this.

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is so cool looking.............congrats !!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. williebill

williebill

Awesome. Read and reread his ad in the classifieds, couldn't believe it didn't sell right away. Gorgeous car.

7. JON THE POM

JON THE POM
    from melb oz

great car you're a lucky guy

8. WOW! Great acquisition, Cob. You're a lucky man for sure.

hrm2k likes this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful styling.... uhhh... period interior! A great score for sure!

kidcampbell71 and 302GMC like this.
  10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I remember seeing that custom at another show in Connecticut in the 60's.
    I also was wowed because it had red tires!
    Does anyone else remember that?
    Glad to see it is in good hands now.
    Congrats, KK

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Possibly another 59 ?

I believe the "Little One" was mainly shown in the Midwest - Milwaukee and Chicago area.
    I don't believe it was shown in Hartford.

If it was ever shown on the East Coast - Hartford Autorama or anyone has a magazine with it in there, please contact me.

Thanks fellas.

12. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

was curious to see who bought it, saw it for sale on cl and for sale 10 years ago on cars on line, if i had the room and time i woulda bought it, congrats! just curious u going to the custom car revival in indy? and do u have any plans for the car? it doesnt need it but would luv to see a 348 in it with a 4speed, only cause i luv 348s haha, i had a 59 impala few years ago (stock) and i just had to dopu the 348 in it, figure i wont own too many of these

13. Congrats! Just read the RJ Times article in The Rodders Journal about it. Cool to see that Marcus was able to obtain the car and get it to ya.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Beautiful car, lucky man!!

15. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That is a fine looking car indeed....love the color!:D

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Great story! You are the one person who should own the car and I'm happy for you that you got it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Great car, great story, congrats!

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. Sounds like the car found the right owner ! Ausome.

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Indy- yes

Moriarity likes this.
  21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So we have to wait a whole month to see it in person.

22. town sedan

town sedan

Just got around to opening the newest Rodders Journal and was greeted by more photos of your new old custom... When are you going to let Ryan feature it?
    -Dave

23. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Nice score! Marcus sure has a nose for finding old hot rods and customs

Austinrod likes this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes.......:cool:

Moriarity likes this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Wow....what a awesome car, Congratulations ......... and drive it and have fun brother !

26. Very cool, Cob... Congrats!

27. During 1962, I helped Joe set up the car at two Milwaukee, Wi. indoor car shows. We, also, open trailered the 59 to an outdoor car show in Pecatonica, Illinois. We towed the trailer with a 59 Impala, 348/335 horse, 4 speed black convertible. Most of the pictures of the 59 are from two Milwaukee shows. I haven't seen any pictures from the Illinois show. After those shows and during Joe's ownership, the 59 may have been at one or two more shows in the Milwaukee area, recall is starting to fade after 54 years. Maybe, after Joe got rid of the car, it may have been shown in other areas but, I haven't seen any other pictures. After the 1962 car shows, Joe had the 59, heavily pin striped by Butch Brinza, had major show time upholstery under hood panels and floor display panels made. At that point, the 59 became a trailer queen. Joe lost interest, then, and got rid of the 59.
    After Joe got rid of the 59, it disappeared into it's own myth and legend. Seen cruising at late hours of the night. Supposedly, stolen, stripped and abandoned. Fell into the hands of shady owners or shops. Seen sitting abandoned in junk yards, used car lots, back yards and driveways of Milwaukee. Never heard a story that, it left Milwaukee or was shown in other states.
    Then, a Milwaukee teenage boy saw the 59 sitting abandoned, gutted, rusting out in the elements. He talked his parents into buying the 59 for him so, he and his uncle could restore it. They did an amateur restoration, got it running, drove it rarely. Again stories of occasional sightings, cruising the streets, thru a drive in restaurant. being driven out of a back alley garage, the back end seen in a different garage, never in the same place twice.
    Then, it's for sale, goes to California, then to Iowa, more chapters to the myth and legend of the "Little One", but all is good, now, it lives!!!

Curt R

28. So cool Cob!