Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, Kiddies,

I've uploaded the first three vids here.

Q1, opened the new engine & cam up with a 13.332 @ 101.53 on a .165 r/t. Not a great run as you can see, my shifting was off, and the car was flat on the top end.

Q2, and our run for HAMBie. 12.914 @ 102.04 on an embarassing .479 r/t. A better run for the car at least, and the new combo's first 12. It did manage to squeak out a new 1/8 mile speed though, at 86.54 (duly logged on the opening page here, of course). :)
    Sadly, Jeana broke the drive pin on her timing set, and bent some valves in the process, costing her the race and HAMBie.

Back in the pits I noticed that I'd failed to tighten the distributer hold down screw when I'd set the timing last, and it'd retarded some. So, I re-set it, and tightened'er up.

E1, Sunday's first round I handed over the strip to Ray, as I squandered another r/t (.383 to his beautiful .025), and then the car proceeded to crap out on the top end of each gear, netting only 13.308 @ 98.84. So, trailered right off the bat.

Back in the pits I figured out that I'd over advanced'er when I re-set the timing (around 38*), and it's looking like this cam wants less than the usual 30* that slants like (likely 28* or so).
    Also looking into stronger return springs for the dashpots, as I'm running the lightest of the three available stages at this time. Seems that with this cam, when I backed off a bit on the top end she smoothed out some and pulled better.

She definitely has the suds for more, as you can see'er lightin'em up in first and second, and drifting a bit. Just need to settle the top end down, and peddle my launch a bit better.

Would've liked a few more runs, to play with things, but that's the show at ANRA these days. There were over 300 cars there for the Opener, Butch's meets just keep getting bigger and bigger. :cool:

I'll add some more vids, and some pictures, as I get'em processed.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Old28

Old28

old6- Sorry you had new motor setup bugs but you will get her running like she should in no time.:confused:
    First 12.914 with a poor running motor, maybe mid 12's when you get the bugs out.:eek:
    300 car count, Butch has the best True Nostalgia "Timed" race going.:cool::)

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sounded good, how did the cooling system work out?

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, two more weekend meets in a row, then Eagle Field a couple weekends later. I should be able to get'er closer to a decent tuning over that. :rolleyes:

Tom, the "cooling system" is pretty marginal. So far, boiling over just as I hit the pit on the return. May have to go back to using a radiator if I can't improve it enough.

5. spanners

spanners

Very nice running. Love the videos. It's always nice to see some of the other cars that are running, like the Crosley bodied ones.

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The Crosleys're are from the "Old Farts Racing Team", a cool bunch of guys. I'll be up against'em again the weekend after this, at Forever Four's Antique Nat's over at Fontana. Between them, us HAMBsters, and the Early Riders club, we're about half of Butch's Open Wheel class. :cool:

Here're some pictures from that ANRA meet last weekend, courtesy of the excellent Kathryn Rau, just click on the Open Wheel bunch.

Well, I switched to heavier piston springs in the SU's, so now they run a bit richer on the top end, where it seems to want it. Tidied up the pistons & pots, and ordered two more spring sets (at the next two steps up) as well.
    I also backed the timing off a bit, then flamed'er, and she seems to be hitting the tach better (guess I'll find out this weekend at Barona ;)). Likely still need some fiddling there.

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If you look close at the 2nd picture in the 2nd set of pictures of the Brick in those photos the left front tire does not appear to be touching the pavement. o_O

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. Old28

Old28

Yep, your right Tom:):eek:
    Famosa Raceway where you can have a wheels up leave on street tires:D
    Think what the Brick can do when running on all 6:eek::eek:

9. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Loved your videos, just a little more tweaking and you got it.

10. spanners

spanners

Imagine the extra weight of a pair of wheelie bars. :D That'll be next.

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Good, solid, HEAVY, wheelie bars just may help pull better wheelies. :D

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Just change your battery. The one I run in the '64 Dodge weighs 47 pounds. ;)

13. Old28

Old28

Sure would be something to see a wheels up start on a HA/GR car with street tires.:eek::D
    That would go down in the record books.:)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  14. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Mount a radiator on the back of the car for weight transfer.

15. Old6, Was watching the replay of Saturdays first run. I had to rewind the first run a couple of times, sure looked like the fronts were trying for lift off.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sounds like it's time to build an early style "Little Red Wagon". Add a bit of ballast and a skid plate and put on a show! Who will build the first HAGR to carry the front wheels through the 60' mark? ;)

17. bobw

bobw

I've been filling my late nights watching the entire ANRA weekend on Youtube.

18. Old28

Old28

Good nostalgia racing, Lots of fun racers, At a fine track, all put on by a great promoter,Butchy:D:D:D
    300+ car count shows great support for ANRA. Keep it up racers.:)

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, Kiddies,

Here's the link to the 3rd & 4th runs from Barona's meet. I forgot the camera on the 1st one, and botched the settings on the 2nd ...... so sue me. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of me & a street rod I got to run earlier (toasted'im :)).

Me\'n a rat.jpg

I'll add a narrative Friday, it's rack time for me now.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  20. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Your link goes nowhere

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Worked for me at 0630 this morning.o_O

22. bobw

bobw

Worked for me too. Run #4 looks like a good one.

23. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm impressed big time! Run # 4 was a real head snapper!!! :):):)

24. spanners

spanners

Worked for me too, eventually. You're right , it was a head snapper. It looked like it caught the driver unawares.

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

OK, as threatened ;) ......

Day started out cloudy, with light drizzle, so they were a couple hours late getting'er off to a start. Once they declared the strip dry enough, they called for T&Ts. I've put stronger springs in the dash pots to try to address what seems to be a slight top end lean-out.
    I forgot the camera completely on my first run, but cut the tree well (for me) with a .098, and ran 8.556 @ 83.742, nearly matching my standing record 1/8 mi. This one was against the cool street rod in the pic above, and he ran 8.393 @ 82.357, but his .522 tree cost him the race.

I don't recall who I drew for second qual (may've been one of the Y-block guys, there were 17 of'em there :cool:), but we both submitted red lights, with his being slightly worse than mine for the loss. I upped it to 8.313 @ 83.853 on -.042, slightly breaking my 1/8 mi best.

We had so little old tin there that they just ran the Antiques part of it as more T&T, so ......
    Third run, I'd like to forget. :( I ceded it right at the shiny red tree @ -.095, muffed second, and short shifted third. Can't think of many more ways I could've screwed it up. :rolleyes:
    Still managed to keep it in the 8s, though just microscopically, with 8.999 @ 82.463. That sweet Baby Bird in the right lane took it with 9.282 @ 76.628 on a .352 r/t. o_O

Fourth run, and back in play. Up against a 5 sec car, but always game, I cut an .087, and ran 8.201 @ 84.518, for new numbers on my 1/8 mi personals.

Had a butt-load of fun. The 'Brick's still popular, and I seated several kids in'er for pictures. My dog (Carbon) got to go to his first drag race, and didn't seem to mind at all. All in all, yet another great day at the races. :cool:

Tomorrow's weather reports're looking do-able for The Pit (Fontana), so I'll see what mayhem I can get up to in a 1/4 now. Four Ever Four's Antique Nat's are fun, but I'll miss Dimitri. Seems they've banned the 'Doll, don't know exactly what for though.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'll let Old6rodder fill in the details, but have to say that the Antique Nationals were a blast. The car is still hunting proper tune to run like he wants it to, but at the end of the day he brought home the trophy plaque for his class and is now a two time winner for the meet. At that rate he's going to have to put a trophy shelf in the shop one of these days. ;)

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Wow! The 'Brick's the lead photo for Bangshift's article on Four Ever Four's Antique Nat's at the Pit.
    Thank you, Darr. :cool:

I forgot to take the cameras' case, so no vids, but I'll still do a run-down on the meet later today.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  28. Old28

Old28

Few years ago it was about making a few passes in a fine old style hot rod :)

Fast forward to the present and you are on the cover of articles, taking up shelf
    space in that small garage with Trophies and showing that a HA/GR can hold it's
    own as a bracket racer. :D:D

29. millelacsrick

millelacsrick

Thank you for the link to the Bangshift pictures.

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

20160507_093927.jpg John Force has nothing on Old6rodder. The 1st flopper HA/GmR!