Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** MAY 2016 BANGER MEET - MAY THE 4 BANGER BE WITH YOU ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2016.

1. Joined: Feb 15, 2005
    Start a ConversationProfile Page
    Bluto
    from Eastern Front

Here are B/W photos of the blueprints.
    Sorry for the delay

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If I were to build this (which is very much like my race car); I'd lengthen the front radius rods back to an attachment near the centerline of the steering pitman arm. I'd also make those front rods "Hairpins" so that the caster is adjustable. If at all possible I'd retain the rear radius rods attachment at the torque tube (at the rear of the transmission). I'd put Houdallie shocks on all four corners, with attachments as far out on the ends of the axles. I'd put brakes (preferably hydraulic on all for corners. newwheels006-1.jpg

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

John

Loctite sells two products in the US you can try..... HYLOMAR gasket compound. It seals well and never hardens parts come apart easily Even PEP BOYS. Second is "Chisel" This ids spray-on gasket remover. Most industrial supplies sell it........ BE REAL CAREFUL IT IS NASTY STUFF!!!! I can resolve your skin and lungs follow the instructions to the letter

Yes Steve the plans are from Ray ........ JUST LIKE IT SAYS ON THEM. The books came with original blueprints in a folio

3. Jim,
    I get all that. But, the last graphite gasket lasted me almost six race seasons. I had to tear into the whole engine anyway. I'm thinking I've got the thing together for a long time. If I can keep my machinists doing what I tell them, we'll be good. I just made a mistake and took the advise of a well meaning friend who GAVE me one of these copper disasters when I thought that I didn't have the time to order the proper one from Serr. I learn something every day and your advise has ALWAYS been helpful.

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Understood ....... Did you see the Graphite gaskets I had made for the Siata Topolino OHV head?
    Hylomar cost nothing and will seal better that anything you could used. Developed for Rolls Royce aircraft it is premium stuff. We used it on things that had no gaskets Hewland gearboxes It seals and releases very easy.

I have it here in 1gal cans! Unlike silicone it doesn't plug oil ways or pumps.

Have fun John

Your old buddy

Jim

5. They are not. I was just going to use the 'A' pressure plate though I have been reading conflicting reports!

Poop! That's not good to hear! Anyone have any recommendations on this? Other reputable sources???

6. Had a few minutes this morning to get the side cover off. As I expected it is dry. That said, I am fairly sure the oil pump is bad. No time to drop the pan today, but will tomorrow and surely Saturday. So, with all the oil staying in the crankcase, what else should I expect to replace? Could the cam survive this? I guess I'll find out when I get further in. At minimum I'll drain the oil tomorrow and look for metal in that. If I have to dig further than cam and valves, I'll probably cut my losses and redirect engine work to the 8BA that the car will have at another date, just didn't want it to be so soon.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I used hylomar on our race bike ( n2o) (7.90) with great luck .

are the clutch springs pinched on the other side ? some are pinched to keep the springs in .

8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I seem to remember seeing them reprinted in 1001 rod ideas magazine back in the 70s I think.

9. I think I've got to reassemble my carb/intake manifold system ( I might have a vacuum leak). I'll pick up some HYLOMAR and try it.
    Thanks Jim...Stay comfortable and get well!
    JK

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

found a pair of these . anyone know what they are off of . brass era , electric not gas . smith lens .
    10" across , 6" deep . absolutely love em .................. steve

[​IMG]

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not even a guess ?

12. 1916 Henway?

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

as near as I can tell - henway & porter are the same ..... none I found are like these . thanks

14. I was just being funny
    A: 1916 Henway
    Q: What's a Henway?
    A: About 4to5 lbs!!!!!:D:D:D

15. Steve,
    I'm probably being Cpt. Obvious here, and not being much help, but take a look at years right before the Nickel Era and early into it- they have a bit of a Dodge look to them... maybe (Graham Bro.s) truck?

16. PhredH

PhredH

Model A 4.56 ring and pinion gear.
    Want to win that next stoplight race or hill climb?

Want to do well at TROG?

This Model A 4.56 (9-41) ring and pinion is what will help you dust off the others.

Very nice condition, no visible wear. $410.00 plus shipping

Phred Hollister
    [email protected]
    847-312-0926 cell IMG_1522.JPG IMG_1521.JPG

17. noboD

noboD

Bill, they have the look, but headlights stopped being made of brass long before that. Only the rim of DB lights are brass because they were spun and now they are cracked from old age.

18. PhredH

PhredH

4.56 R & P gear in post #76 sold

Thanks HAMB!

19. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Picked this up yesterday hopefully I can get it repaired and machine work done or else I have a paperweight. Anyone have a clue as to timeliness of when these were made? I was told it's a Schofield. ...didn't know how to tell if it's that or miller or cragar etc. Got a wico mag and winfield cam with it too.

Attached Files:

Kickstarter and ROCKER77 like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

tiny - yes I got the joke , just stating what I found . thanks
    mac the yankee ...... thanks
    nobod , any suggestions ?

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

It's odd to see brass lamps with electric IMO. By the time electric lights came most things were nickel. Maybe they were off a fire truck or something like that? Maybe someone on the AACA forum would have an idea.

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

searched dodge & graham but nothing like mine ............ thanks

23. The Schofield Miller Hi-Speed head was slanted on the left side. This looks like a CRAGAR that's been modified by welding the intake manifold directly. If it isn't damaged it should be worth at least $2500. The welding of the intake to the head is an interesting modification.... if it works. If it doesn't work...Oh well! The CRAGAR is also different in that it has 1 3/4 inch intakes instead of the Schofield's 1 5/8 inch.
    Schofield of America was only in business about a year. The rocker heads and the DOHC heads are very rare because few were made. Harlan Fengler using Crane Gartz (of the Crane Pluming fortune) money bought the patterns to the heads out of the Schofield bankruptcy. They formed a company called CRAGAR (a contraction of Gartz's name). They made a few heads of both the OHV and DOHC. But, because of a slow market they sold the patterns to George Wight, the owner of Bell Auto parts. Wight redesigned the OHV to having the intakes on the left side. This was not successful. When Roy Richter took over Bell, he made and marketed the OHV CRAGAR head well into the 50's.
    All this aforementioned B.S. is from Mark Dee's magnificent tome: "The Miller Dynasty".

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I once had a Bell Cragar Jr. DOHC for Continental 4 banger. Even Mark couldn't tell me what it was. I finally got an early Bell catalog. It's here someplace

My Winfield sign came from Mark after the died.

25. WOW! Hopefully I have caught things in time. Drained the Oil, only to find just as much fuel as oil in the pan. Very little metal sheen in the fuel oil mix. Dropped the pan to have a look see in the crank case and to drop the oil pump. There doesn't appear to be any odd or excessive wear on anything. Cam looks good with nice sharp edges, and no grooves. The crank has welded counter weights and tale/tale drill holes showing it to most likely be balanced. The connecting rods have tooling marks showing them to maybe be balanced as well. Full metal cam and crank gears. So, Hopefully all of that is good. Now on to the valves (which are adjustable) and pulling the head to look at the top of the valves, tops of the pistons and head gasket as well as inspecting for head cracks. As far as how it was running before: Way low on power, puking almost all of the coolant, seemed to be misfiring, especially under load. Well off to drain coolant and pull the head. Hopefully I have caught whatever is wrong in time and can save this without having to do a full rebuild

26. Head is off. No fuel in the coolant. Head gasket was a copper piece, and shows discoloration between a couple cylinders, but no obvious problems. While I have the head off, I'll verify piston diameter, just to see if it has been bored out. Seller said the head is a High Compression piece. I want to have it planed while it's off. Any thoughts on taking off a little more, and how much is safe? Other than the oil pump just falling out with the pan (is that normal), I have found nothing obvious. Everything looks good internally.

27. noboD

noboD

It sounds like the only problem you had was the diaphragm in the fuel pump.

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

havin real fun trying to find 9 1/2 x 8 1/2 lenses . still cant find out what they are off of . seen many old brass head lights that a electric (maybe conversions)

29. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462673370.369968.jpg
    Turns out my mystery motor I picked up a few years ago and never did anything with looks to be pretty nice inside. I paid $100 for it, mostly for the police head. My oldest son and I started disassembling it today and found a pressurized center main. The motor appears pretty clean inside and is only .040 over. Next we'll check the Babbitt and probably start putting it back together

mctim64, Hitchhiker and ROCKER77 like this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice find ! motor looks good !

well more on my lights . 1900s - 19teens .