Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects One Mann, Three Springs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 15, 2016.

1. bct

bct

Well done. Should gain you precious clearence.

2. trad27

trad27

Nicely done. took me a minute had to go look at the pics a couple times. Really like where this is headed.

3. Thanks guys!

..These babies showed up today. Stoked!

IMG_6513.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. blackout78666

blackout78666

Good luck on your venture. It's a hard drug to kick the highs and lows of self employment. From rice and beans to kings and queens . Sink or swim ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459941633.456060.jpg

Lil'Alb and skatermann like this.
  5. dechrome

dechrome

Early Plymouth axles have a great look. Here is one that I used when in high school in "56. I chose to use the Ford spring at that time.
    deChrome
    stroker104.jpg stroker101.jpg stroker094.jpg stroker104.jpg

Lil'Alb, AHotRod, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  6. So I'm still focusing on the front end, working on some shackles right now. Yesterday I bolted my new shear and shrinker stretcher down in their places. Made a couple of cuts on the shear, went over to the shrinker... One shrink... Move over, make another shri(CLUNKK)... SH!T what was that? I look down inside(theres not that much to these things) and the bottom of the handle(fulcrum block) had broken in half... It was definitely a manufacturing flaw, called up Baileigh said no problem we'll send you another but we don't have any here has to come from china... I think I'm just gonna make a new piece cuz I'm not sure the replacement will be any better haha :eek:

Joe Mann

IMG_6531.jpg IMG_6532.jpg IMG_6533.jpg IMG_6539.jpg

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Nice Work! As a worn out old fart who's spent a lifetime working with my hands, I think your stuff is as nice as I've ever seen.
    That's gonna be a cool modified. Have you given any thought to the powertrain?

8. Great start on the modified, and that should be a nice calling card to generate business for your new business start-up! I like your recessed U-bolts. The new tools should be nice for making all those body panels.

I am far from self-employed, my latches business is very side after regular job home-based, but it is fun to do and I like the challenge to give people a great product and service. Keep the customer first and do nice work at fair prices - you should have more work than you can handle.

9. Thank you! Plan A is a model A banger, because I have it and it'll fit nice. I know a guy who has two (different size) winfield carbs and maybe an intake.. But that whole area is a bit unknown right now. I would love to put a 21 stud in it actually, but I am so just scraping by right now. My idea is that someone will buy it from me and have me finish it for them, or that it will at least bring in some business!

KKrod likes this.
  10. I got the shackles tacked together, then ran out of argon. Gotta go to town and get some supplies! More later.

IMG_6544.jpg IMG_6547.jpg
    P.S. front spring mounts will be made out of model T axle ends...

tomkelly88 and Jet96 like this.
  11. Thank you! Thats the plan.. Old age craftsmanship driven by youthful passion, at a price you can't refuse!

12. Squablow

Squablow

I like where you're going with this. And there is nothing better to get a shop going than to build something that can demonstrate your skills. I'm impressed with what I've seen so far.

13. Watching.

Great work, I like where this is headed.

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Those are a bear to find. I needed four for a narrow 1 1/4" application. Finally made them out of 4130 square stock, form ground the round profile and made a jig to hold the three pieces for welding. IMGP5690.JPG

tomkelly88 likes this.
  15. Thank you guys for the positive words!

28dreyer those u-bolts look great! Sometimes making your own is the only way to go!

16. Still cutting away.

IMG_6562.jpg IMG_6565.jpg IMG_6563.jpg

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I can see were you are going with the T front axle/front spring mount, very clever idea. Bob

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. great to see, craftsmanship and creativity, blended with passion, keep at it.

19. Looking good Skater.

20. Thank you guys!

21. So a T and an A walk into a bar...

IMG_6572.jpg

22. Nice punchline

23. Ran out of rod yesterday, so I couldn't finish the spring mount. Got this far though. And I drew this this real quick last night, kinda the general vibe I'm shooting for.. Little details might change, but I really like the overall look!

IMG_6585.jpg IMG_6586.jpg IMG_6621.jpg IMG_6625.jpg

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like the plan. Bob DSCF1809.JPG

Stogy, skatermann and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Set all the pieces I've been working on together for the first time yesterday, nothings finished but was nice to see with all my guessing and measuring stuff actually lined up pretty good! I've been working part time construction to help keep afloat.. Right now most my income is either going to rent or argon and cutoff wheels.. ha!

IMG_6834.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

The V8-60 is a midget motor, your project is a Big Car, what we call a Sprint Car today. Nice Model A or B would be a better period piece IMO. Bob

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    skatermann likes this.
  27. I agree with Bob. Man that looks great!

skatermann likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, it looks like creativity is alive and well.
    Not sure which cutoff wheels you are referring to but 3M's "Green Corps" line last a lot longer than the cheaper ones, more money but don't turn to dust like say HF's versions.
    I ran a toolroom in a fab/machine/mfg plant and the weldors loved them.

skatermann likes this.