Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** MAY 2016 BANGER MEET - MAY THE 4 BANGER BE WITH YOU ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 1, 2016.

1. Hey now,;)
    I'm just trying to be helpful! I really did break down 5 miles from my shop and didn't have my Mag with me. I put it in my tool bag (just in case) but forgot to put the bag in my trunk. After breaking down I popped the cap and all I seen was a jelled over electronic circuit, I knew I was F***** and had to get my tool bag/Wico!
    I know we all like pictures!:cool:
    Joe

2. I had a similar thing happen last weekend. Fried a condenser out at the Shasta college show. I was only running down there for an hour. Didn't through in my toolbox or electrical stuff :( A couple hours later I had it limped home. Amazing how a condenser working intermittently can make you think your carb is taking a dump:rolleyes:

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I agree with tiny ! joe , its packed up when should I expect it ?

4. Oh Steve,
    I couldn't get the box to close, so I decided to just run it! (So Sorry!)
    I'll try and just lurk for a while!:D
    (It won't be easy!!!):confused:

Outback likes this.
  5. Don't worry about closing the box, I'll stop by and pick it up in person.
    I get a discount for an open box floor model right?:p

Outback likes this.
  6. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

now tiny , just take the carbs off . joe don't hide , just compliments . did we embarrass you

7. It's not on the floor anymore! It's on my Diamond B! How else would I burn all the rubber off my right wheel?

Thanks for the compliments, I'm not gonna be doing any hiding!
    I'm gonna be posting pictures of the Early HALIBRAND CULVER CITY 201 V8 Rear, converted to a locker and made to fit my Model A using the stock torque tube. There will be a lot's of machining involved.
    Just maybe, (Then) I'll be competitive at the next hill climb or antique auto drag race?
    Joe

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

good for you

9. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

One more post for May's Sake....Antique Nationals This coming weekend, May 7th.
    2016 Flyer_Page_1.jpeg

10. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

looks deadly 530sandman ! holly smokes where did april go lol

530sandman likes this.
  11. Checking in! We ran at Button Willow Raceway April 23rd...Set the fastest time of our Race Group...I set a lap time 10 seconds faster than my previous best at that track. However the head gasket (which I thought questionable) blew. No more experimenting with copper sandwich gaskets...I've gone back with my previous type (which lasted a full six seasons of racing). BW2016.jpg

12. What gasket have you switched back too?
    Really nice car btw

13. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you don't tighten the little nuts on the top of the spark plugs it will KILL the condenser very quick!

14. Well crap. Pulled the distributor today as I have only made it run marginally better. I'll be sending the Mallory out for a professional evaluation and rebuild. Upon removal I found the distributor drive shaft dry and with a little surface rust. After my earlier engine de-grease, and repaint I have noticed what I feel is more than normal oil exiting the fill tube cap as well. No time today to dig further into this. Over the next couple days I'll have the header and side cover off to see what's going on in there too. Any suggestions to look out for other than obvious broken bent, seized parts before I dive into this? Thanks all.

15. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Before you get it running put a dot of light colored paint on each lifter. You can then use a timing light to see if they rotate

You can hook a external 12V battery TO RUN THE TIMING LIGHT ONLY if you don't have a 6V Inductive timing light. This gets you a bright light to see with

16. Hi all. I dropped my 'A' flywheel off to get lightened this week for my little "racer". Will a V8 clutch disk work with a stock 'A' pressure plate???

17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no . it has to be remachined to fit the v8 clutch . then balance , lighten if you want

18. Ok well this is the one I ordered? It says 28-40?

image.jpeg
    This is what came out of it though. I see the obvious differences but dimensionally it looks the same?
    image.jpeg

19. Of course Mac's would sell a 28-40 clutch.

20. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Can anyone recommend exhaust tube size for a b with a cast iron header daul 81s and probably a 6 or 7 to 1 head?

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Here are B/W photos of the blueprints.
    Sorry for the delay

dirt1.jpg dirt2.jpg dirt3.jpg

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

exhaust tube size for a b with a cast iron header daul 81s and probably a 6 or 7 to 1 head
    the size of the collector .... probably 2 1/2 "

jimski that is so cool

23. That's all Bratton's shows as well? Will it work???

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

on the clutch disc . you can have the old one relined , but the new one with the springs is anti-chatter .
    I would hang the old one on the wall

gas pumper likes this.
  25. Ok thank you.

26. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Hey cactus1, when they lighten the flywheel, the A pp mounting lip will be removed and it will need to be drilled for a v8 pp...right? Or are they not removing that mounting lip?
    Johnny

27. I'm going back to using a reinforced graphite gasket that I get from Steve Serr, producer of the Miller Hi-Speed Head. The only problem that I've had with this type gasket is that it bonds so completely with the metals of the head and block. When one takes the head off (using this graphite gasket) it is a very tedious job to clean and prepare the surfaces to replace the head. When I take the whole engine APART it's not a problem. I simply run both head and block through the resurfacer. The only time I've ever "blown" this type head gasket is when we failed to completely seat one of the cylinder sleeves. It burnt under the fire ring.

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  28. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Re: clutch disk- There was talk on one of the other sites about those springs not being held in and coming out.

Those plans are by Ray Kuns and in one of his books.