Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford tudor hump

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by too many fords, Feb 28, 2016.

1. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

Since I'm layed up after a minor surgery, I finally have time to post my 37 hump project. I've been collecting parts for the last year, and in a couple months I'll be throwing it all together for a mechanical shakedown. Can't wait!

It all started with a cheap craigslist find (seems like thats how it always starts). "1937 ford tudor, $600" I couldn't pass it up, it was about 6 miles from home. came as a body shell, sitting on a 38 pontiac frame. no title. nearly every bolted on part removed. body was solid except for the rear tailpan/tooltray. looks like it has been dragged on the rear end by a forklift or something. I built a 36 hump a few years ago, and really like the body style, but like the bigger trunk and front end of the 37. IMG_9602.jpg

I also realized later the due to the trim holes along the beltline its actually a 38 standard, but I like the 37 front end better, so it would be built as a 37. Pulled it home and stuffed it in the shed to wait for more parts.
    IMAG1256.jpg

IMAG1257.jpg IMAG1260.jpg

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nice start on your build. Will be watching for updates.

Ray

3. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

next major purchase, an original 1937 rolling chassis with about half of the missing sheet metal. drove over to long beach from vegas to grab this, I couldn't believe my luck. the PO is street rodding the car, with an aftermarket chassis, fiberglass fenders, etc. His trash was my treasure. Its from a coupe, so the rear fenders are different, but my car is trashed in that area anyway, so I'll make em fit.
    $_3 (1).JPG
    I forgot to mention, rebuilt rear end with 500 miles, rebuilt 39 3 speed with 500 miles, disc brakes, tube shocks.... IMAG1266.jpg IMAG1267.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  4. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

Got another chunk of missing parts from our friends up north, thanks again Vavavoom garage!
    Doors from a 40, but I have NOS 1937 regulators, and pieces of inner door frame to delete the vent windows :)

IMAG1739.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

As the parts came in, I would throw them on the car mainly for easy storage, since I'm finishing up a build for a buddy before starting on this (the chopped 53 panel in the background). The last thing I needed was the motor. The 37 is gonna be built with as many original Henry parts as possible, so a flathead seemed the best choice.

Went through some junk on craigslist before finding this 1950 8ba from a shoebox. another street rodder, pulling his running, driving original parts to swap in a small block, OD trans, fuel injection etc. dirt cheap if I would pull it from the chassis myself (he wanted the frame back). After witnessing it in the car, running and driving, I waited till his shop had the body off, and scored it.

IMAG1705.jpg

I put my helper with the beer and flipflops to work with the pressure washer....

IMAG1709.jpg

cleaned up nice, he included the trans, radiator, and a new 6v battery too. plus all four caps, which fit the wheels I already had. awesome!
    IMAG1714.jpg

6. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

My plan is to assemble everything, get it running and sort any mechanical issues, then blow it back apart for complete body and paint. Probably throw these pomona finds on the motor and freshen it up while I'm there.

IMAG2309.jpg

IMAG2338.jpg

7. Man, that body is really nice in spite of the bad areas. Should be fairly easy. Keep us posted.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good that you are still using your time wisely, even if you can not do wrenching right now. have done very well gathering parts. we will be waiting for the time when you assemble, dismantle and reassemble.

9. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

anyone recognize this front disc brake setup? looks like an adapter plate and some kind of later caliper? In case I need to replace parts...

IMAG1555.jpg

IMAG1551.jpg

10. Amazing scores on the body, chassis, engine, the whole shootin' match. Good call on the '37 front clip. They're the best!

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^YES....amazing what you found to complete the body!! Congratulations.

Ray

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Hell of a start. Hot rods on a dollar. It can still be done. Great project!

too many fords likes this.
  13. g bagwell

g bagwell
    from ct usa

Cool car! thats about what I started with.

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Nice score.. I like "'humps"...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I like 37 Humps or flats, here is my old Hump
    You have a pretty nice body to start with Like it! 1937 BLACK SEDAN.jpg 1937 BLACK SEDAN.jpg

16. image.jpeg My 37 slant back started out as a 38 humpback. image.jpeg

17. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

WOW texas, thats a bunch of work to have a slightly smaller trunk :cool:. looks like we started at similar places...

gotten a few more things done, while waiting for the chevy panel to finish up.

the trunk I got had some issues. It was badly dented, and the shell had a twist as well.
    IMAG1889.jpg
    IMAG1890.jpg
    this is before addressing the rust.... since I'm planning to hang everything on the car, and do the major repairs first, I had to make it workable, just for a test fit situation. down the line I'll patch all the rust, might make a new skin also. this is what I did in the meantime.

heres where I began, with a cardboard template
    IMAG1894.jpg
    IMAG1895.jpg

then I trimmed edges, drilled the spot welds, and removed the skin from the shell
    IMAG1896.jpg

banged on it with a hammer until both sides matched the "good" cardboard. then I straightened the shell to fit the "repaired" skin. tack welded the major cracks too.
    IMAG1903.jpg
    IMAG1902.jpg
    tack welded in the corners just to hold it on, fits the body good enough to address the tool tray, lower rear body panel major issues. took about an hour

Attached Files:

46international likes this.
  18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Looks good, 2 Many, a lot of work ahead of you but looks like you have the ability to do it, Go man Go!

19. flyin-t

flyin-t

I also have a '38 standard tudor. I didn't know '40 doors would fit the '38 standard, the '38 deluxe tudor yes because it was a complete body change. Learn something new everyday.
    Cool project.

20. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

yup, 40 doors seem much easier to find. they are also being repopped (for coupes), although I hear the fit is questionable. I couldn't get the pins out of my two doors hinges. So I bought a set of bob drake hinges. changed only the door side of all 4 hinges. hung em right on the car and they basically fit and latched with no adjustment. heres some photos of that...
    IMAG1849.jpg
    IMAG1851.jpg
    IMAG1854.jpg

also took the opportunity to MIG braze the trim and lock cylinder holes shut. this is the fit with original bodyside hinges, doors from two other cars (3 years newer), and repop hinges bolted up square to the eyeball. Gotta love Henry Ford manufacturing processes
    IMAG2643.jpg

PONTNAK123 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. flyin-t

flyin-t

22. theyoungrodder

theyoungrodder

Looks like the gm calipers I've got on my heidts front end. So I was told.

23. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

adding some more photos, been working on it off and on, this will be going in soon motor mockup.jpg

24. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

since I had a "fixed" trunk, and some catalogue patch panels for the tool tray and rear body, I decided to start there. *disclaimer* not a professional restorer as shown by the outside, poolside work area :) chiseltime.jpg floor cutout.jpg frictionjack.jpg trunk prefit.jpg ltcorner.jpg rt corner.jpg trunkfloor, rough.jpg

25. You've accumulated some choice pieces.
    Coming along nicely..following.

26. Nice going. Whose floor section is that? Or did you do it?

27. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

I made it. still need to create a crossmember and do some fine tuning

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Great thread. I love the pool-side shop, makes perfect sense! In the LV summer dive in to cool off every 10 min, in the winter have a beer in the hot tub. Life is good.

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

Humpbacks remind me of a ladies bustle so humpback cars are feminine. I wanted to flatback mine but think I will make it into a coupe