Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Little Red 56 Chevy Delray.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4psi, Apr 30, 2016.

1. 4psi

4psi

I really try hard not to get myself into to many projects, but I really need something to cruise this summer. You know how that goes. Maybe I will just fix it up and sell it if all else fails.

This car is just what I need. Super solid, complete, and well...I think it's pretty cool.

The numbers on the engine indicate that it is a 1969 corvette 350, and the numbers on the transmission indicate that it is a m21 4 speed.

I have had the car for about a month. These photos are from when I got it, to where I am at currently.

Without further delay, here is what I am working with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Charlie

2. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Very nice summer project.

4psi likes this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Very nice!! Looks like the guy had a good start and just petered out. Great place for you to start - all painted and even a nice color! Did you get all the bumpers, interior and trim stuff? Is it ok? It looks rust-free.
    I bought a '56 Nomad in that same condition back in the early '80s. It had been freshly painted, the guy sued the painter saying it was the wrong color and lost. Disgusted, he parked it, still disassembled and eventually sold it to me. I did exactly what you are doing but I found that the engine had holed a piston when I finally fired it up.
    Ho's the engine and trans?

4psi likes this.
  4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looking good so far. Probably my favorite of all the tri-five Chevies. Next would be the 57 150 ...

4psi likes this.

5. Nice 56! Keep posting the updates. Should be a nice ride for the summer!

4psi likes this.
  6. 4psi

4psi

Nomad eh? That's really cool. Mine had been sitting inside as you see it since 1981. I bought it from my friend, who purchased it roughly 9 years ago. He was going to build it but his other projects got in the way.

This 56 has a very amateur paint job, but it is 99% rust free. I can tell there is a little fiberglass in the driver side quarter. It wasn't rusted, just dented. The only rust is in the tail pan below the deck lid. A 4" patch panel will make it right.

The engine and transmission are both good. I got it running before I tore into it.

Edit: It came with everything to make it complete except for the front bumper and front seat. One if my friends donated a 56 bench seat to me, and another friend of mine has me covered on the front bumper so I am good to go!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Looks like it may have been painted the '56 only color 'Dusk Plum' or is yours a custom color? I've only ever seen one other solid dusk plum '56 Chev before - a 2dr 150. Looks like a fun start, congrats and best wishes. Looking forward to build updates...

Gotta56forme/Scott

4psi likes this.
  8. 4psi

4psi

Thanks!

This car is a 210 Delray and its original color was black and yellow.

Yellow top, black Center, yellow bottom.

Attached Files:

gotta56forme likes this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin good, You get the tubular a arms with it? they do look a little out of place if you are gonna use the stool engine mounts, single pot master etc. but yeah I would use em too if thats what I already had, just curious.

10. 4psi

4psi

I bought them. I also got a disc brake kit with a 8" booster and 2" drop spindles, 1.5in lowering springs for the front, steering linkage rebuilt kit, pitman arm, and a sway bar.

For the rear I bought 3inch lowering springs and probably gonna run a 1" block.

I thought about changing to side motor mounts and rear shock bar but I decided against it.

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm only on my TENTH 56 Chevrolet ; I guess I must like them or something? My second was a 210 2 door sedan, that
    was originally a two tone white/red, but the USAF Airman I bought it from, had it painted all RED, so I definitely had to open this thread. My car did not have the Del Ray option however, but one of my later cars did. Utility Sedans to Handyman Wagon's to Sedan Deliveries (3). Never really cared for the Nomads , Hardtops, or Convertibles; not that I would have turned one down if it was a good deal. I have a good friend I've known since 1962; that would be Mr. Warren's 6th grade class at Beverly Park Elementary School, that deals in 55-56 Chevrolet Cars AND Parts; if you get in a bind for anything you might need................................................I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

falcongeorge and chevy57dude like this.
  12. 4psi

4psi

I really aprciate that. I will let you know if I get in a bind.

Sounds like you had some really cool cars!

13. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

From what I understand every Chevy small-block will decode as having started life in a 'vette. ;)

Nice score.:cool:

14. 4psi

4psi

I was hoping it was a 327 or something cool. Pulled the pan and it's a 4 bolt main. Probably makes a hundred horsepower lol.

15. Thats a nice car. I have had a 56 2 door for many years. I once said it would be the last car I built, but we all know how that goes...:rolleyes:

4psi likes this.
  16. Butch M

Butch M

cool I love 56 chevys

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN6172.JPG ya doin' good - saw a project today that should make you very proud of yours

18. 4psi

4psi

Ouch....poor car!!

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

20. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Beutiful car. Nice color

4psi likes this.
  21. That'll cause miles of Summer smiles.

4psi and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. '56 150

'56 150

Keep the posts coming! Looks sweet.

4psi likes this.
  23. 4psi

4psi

This is supposed to be 3.5 " lower in the front. It has 2inch spindles and 1.5" springs now. The rear springs are posie super slide 3 inch lowering springs.

It looks like a 4x4 to me. Gonna have to do something about this.

Attached Files:

24. I like it. Summer is just around the corner.

4psi likes this.
  25. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Once you get all the front end sheet metal on it you'll change your opinion about the stance. You're missing the battery, coolant, radiator, etc and all the will weigh the front end down. Same goes for the rear of the car, get the interior in there and it'll look better. Those front benches aren't exactly light.

Don't do anything until you get all of the finished car's weight on the suspension. You might be short by 800 pounds at this point, according to your picture.

26. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Just stand 3 buddies on them frame horns and 1 big guy on the back, that'll be more like how it will sit. :D

4psi likes this.
  27. bchctybob

bchctybob

It's looking good already!
    Draggin GTO is right, get it all together before you spend too much time getting the height right. My '56 has the same stuff you have spindle and spring wise. It had 2" blocks in the back with the Posie's springs, it looked good but it pushed the driveshaft yoke into the trans til it bottomed out. I have 1" blocks in there now and only 1/2" of yoke stroke. My motor is mounted on the stock front mounts, when I swap motors I will put in side mounts and when I'm all done I'll check to see if I need to shorten the driveshaft some. Also my Posie's springs are wimpy, I'm going to add 1 or 2 long leaves to it to stiffen up the rear some. Put anything besides the car cover in the trunk and it hits the ground.
    Mine had 17" wheels and 45 series tires when I got it. Sorry, just not me. I'll keep playing with tire sizes and suspension til I get it the way I want it. It's a little high right now but it has to be due to the driveshaft. Also those are 75 series tires on 15" wheels. I'm shooting for a 1962-64 look for mine in the end. It'll be all red eventually with the engine dressed up like a Corvette 340 hp 327, white headliner and factory style black and white upholstery.
    This is really cool, following your build. Thanks for posting. nu whls3.JPG

28. 4psi

4psi

Thanks man, your 150 looks killer!
    I will take your advice....but just so you know, I am dying to make it lower immediately lol.
    That has already been done! Notice the shoe prints on the front frame rail in one of the photos above? I was bouncing on it while commanding it to go lower.

Thanks for the info on your drive shaft. I wonder if I am going to run into a similar ordeal. I have a m21 4 speed. I will make sure to pay attention the drive shaft length. Your car looks great. My plan is to run 15in original style wheels with the 56 small caps. I think that will look nice with a low stance. I am not sure what year or what time period this style of build would be considered. I am just kind of winging it here. My preference is stock appearance, stock interior, but way low. I really like the idea of 340 hp 327.

Johnboy34 likes this.
  29. slammed

slammed

Cut the stock coils. One wrap is roughly 2". Sneak up on 2 wraps.