Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The long process of finding a project car and adventures of the new guy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Well, it is all what you make of it. Worst case senario is that the master is bad, the lines are bad, AND the wheel cylinders are bad. If the wheel cylinders are bad, I probably would do new pads.
    I have no idea on the price and availability of olds parts, but just replacing the lines is pretty simple. You need lines, fittings, a handheld tube bender, a tubing cutter, and a flaring tool. If you are buying it all at once, it may cost you close to 200 bucks for some "good" stuff.
    I replaced the lines on my OT pickup and running lines to all four corners whilst on your back in a driveway is truly a two day job. It isn't hard, it is just a good amount of work. This type of task is truly necessary if you ever want to work on older cars later on, so it definitely isn't "too much", if that's what you are worried about.

2. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

alright, good way to put it. i guess now is as good of a time as any to learn how to do brake lines

3. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

As several have stated, get as solid of a car as you can find.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Figure on wheel cylinders and a master cylinder also. May be able to rebuild them depending on how rusty
    they are, but figure on replacing them. Not too hard to do, and brakes must be right to be safe. There are a lot
    of threads on here telling you how to do this.

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Figure on doing ALL the wear parts and fluids on any car you look at. Even a solid driver needs servicing and it may not have gotten it all that lately by the time you get it.

7. Congrats! I admire your ambition!
    Getting that college education is one of the most important thing you do in this life.
    Having some car project will teach other valuable things too. You can do both...

8. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Thank you. I agree with that mindset. When i'm not busy with school i can work on cars but school will come first.

What'cha got in there, kid?

9. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Also i have the chance to get a 57 pontiac with a parts car and a complete running engine for 1500.

10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Sounds like a near-future storage problem to me.

That $700 Plymouth looks good and there's hop-up parts for those inline flatheads.

11. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

i'm thinking if i get the 57 pontiac, i can use parts from the pile of parts the other car is to make it a driver and then sell the parts car to recoup costs. so..... anyone need a 57 pontiac with no title missing a few parts? :p

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, do you want to get into buying & selling parts or building a good first rod? I know from experience that it's easy to end up with a lot of stuff that's not going on your build QUICK. Whole cars are a bit of a chore to move around and store, particularly if your neighbors are fussy.

I still think that cheap Plymouth coupe is perfect for you. Make it run and road legal and pick away at it as you go. Then pass it on when you're done with it and build your ideal car. That plymouth has LOADS of potential, just do a Google image search. There are lots of ideas and threads on hopping up the MOPAR flat 6 on here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1937-201-flathead-six-question.350585/#post-3797302

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

The thing thats steering me away from the plymouth is that its a 3 hour road trip to where it is and the car is missing glass and has no seats or floor left. Also the flathead is complete but non running.

The 57 Pontiacs i can buy the titled one with some parts for 1300 and then not have 2 cars sitting around. they are also a 2 hr road trip. looks like i'm gonna have to pass on both of them and find something closer.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, the glass IS a big check in the CON column for sure. But floors are just metal, seats can be replaced with CL finds for CHEAP if you bring a tape measure (https://columbiamo.craigslist.org/pts/5546503789.html), and I bet with a little TLC that flathead would run.

As far as road trips go, don't sweat a 3hr drive for the big stuff; it is part of the adventure!

15. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

So im looking at this olds and i can freely shift it from park to drive etc. the master cylinder is empty so its not like i can press the brake anyway. Would that be a transmission problem or something else?

Acrowe likes this.
  16. I ain't no pro...
    But it must be a column shift, no? If it doesn't *Click* into gear, it would probably mean either the linkage is not hooked up, or something in the trans is missing. If you try to push it (the car), you can kinda tell what gear it is in. If it never goes in neutral, there is a linkage issue I think. (Better to use inspection mirror and light though) Linkages are way cheaper and easier to fix than the trans btw.
    Post a pic!!! Everyone on the hamb loves some good pictures.

1959Nomad likes this.
  17. MBog

MBog

what he said

18. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

so... found another car. 1954 4 door belair with a seized straight 6 and missing a grille. title for $800. Might be cool if i put a 283 in it, some wide whites, and dog dishes and just learned on a cheap beater and sell when it's cleaned up and driven for something better

1959Nomad likes this.
  19. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

got an offer today from a guy. he's selling a 1959 fairlane 2 door sedan with a running straight 6 and 3 speed with 50,000 miles on it. clean title. he wants 2200 for it though so its a bit more than i was planning to spend. anyone have one of these cars? kustom or hot rodded?

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Running and with a clean title, seems like a good deal. What's the condition? Clean? Rusty?

Looks more custom to me, than hot rod.

CapeCodBob likes this.
  21. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

He said pretty solid but kinda crappy interior. Said he's gonna send me a pic

22. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Mexican blankets are traditional interior.

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Here's the 59 ford. Looks decent its a shame its out of my budget[​IMG]

24. That actually looks pretty solid. Looks to be a good deal (of course I cannot see everything from that photo though). Here is where you have to start thinking.

Let's just say you could get that car for 2k. That's pretty reasonable. I am not kn your region, but 2k up here in New England does not buy squat. On the other end of the spectrum, if you are just searching for a 800 dollar car, it will definitely cost more in the end.

Here is what it comes down to:
    do you want an old car to drive and look cool in? (Ford; check coupe; check)
    Or
    Do you want an old junker to learn very necessary skills on (cheaper initially; gain more skills)

Just have to figure it out...

Food for thought: consider what tools you have. You NEED a welder with gas. A Hobart 140 mig setup after buying a bottle will cost you 700 bucks just about. That as an example, think about what will best work for you.

mcnally351 and 1959Nomad like this.
  25. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Ive been thinking and if that ford is still there once i get my next paycheck, im going for it. I'm really not a ford guy but i dig the 59 grille and tail lights. I figure i can have fun driving it with the straight 6 and eventually swap in a y block or fe

1959Nomad likes this.
  26. thefalconer

thefalconer

27. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Found a 54 dodge truck on craigslist thats sitting in the woods. Its a commercial truck not a pickup but its got a hemi in it and the gut wants to get rid of it. Maybe i'll soon be the owner of an early hemi

28. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

This IS a hemi right? Truck is i believe a 1954.[​IMG]

29. Moondog13

Moondog13

That is indeed a hemi.

30. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Im not really a mopar guy but do you think its worth buying? I'd probably part it out if i could get it cheap enough assuming the block is cracked