Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

That is awesome Jeff... Now you need a matching paint job on that truck

2. powrshftr

powrshftr

NOOOOOO!!!!!!
    Don't paint the truck!!!It looks awesome,and you're bound to find pictures of it with a fuel car on the back about two days after you paint it....You're never gonna be able to get that paint back!

Scott

3. with a number on the door it was most likely repurposed into hauling a stock car. not too many fuel burning stock cars. I think it would look cool matching either of your cars. great find.

4. It was definitely used for a stock car hauler in the late 80s early 90s. Originally though pretty sure it was a fuel car hauler. I'm in the process of tracking down the guy that painted it black and used it for stock car stuff to find out what it was when he got it. it will get painted something not sure what yet though. I would like to find out where it came from and possibly do it back the way it came but we will see got a lot of stuff to do before I even think about touching it

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am thinking Boss in the front and Cammer in the rear.

strokedstang331 likes this.
  6. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Jeff that is a great looking ramp truck you have, here is my 69 with the Falcon on the back.

Jon

Attached Files:

7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Getting some things done on my 55. The new headers are on their way back from Jet Hot. They were coated in white. Since Hooker discontinued these, about 10 or so years ago, it took some time to find a new set.

By the way.....Does anyone know if racing gas, (110 - 115 octane) will rust out headers more than 93 octane pump gas? Two sets have rusted out on my 55 since 1998. The Hookers on my 59, (which runs on 93 octane and sees many, many more miles) were new in 1999, and are still good and solid.

Also, the Muncie is torn apart to be freshened up. The main case is getting a bushing for the counter gear shaft, (and a new shaft). Also replacing the 3-4 synchro assembly, (new hub, slider and synchro rings). Considering an iron mid-plate, too. This should take care of the leaking gear lube, and..... Hmmm.... Maybe, I won't miss 4th gear anymore. LOL.

A new clutch is on the agenda, as well.

Hooker Header 1.jpg Hooker Headers.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. powrshftr

powrshftr

Torkwrench:

Your car is one of my all time favorite 55's,looking forward to seeing it run at the Meltdown.Stop by the pits and say hello if you get a minute....I'll be the guy with the incredibly bad luck.
    I'll be easy to recognize: I'll probably be the one with a broken Mustang on top of me....lol

About that....I scored a Long H-pattern shifter yesterday to replace the vertical gate shifter.That'll make it a little easier to drive on the street.:)

Scott

9. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where it really belongs! :p

LOL. ....sorry Scott couldn't resist. Check this out though. My addition to the Vertigate to make it more street friendly.

1462016608186.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Dog_Patch likes this.
  10. Jon I remember seeing your hauler a few months ago that looks awesome. What do u have in it for a motor? Also what is the hitch on the front for? Mine doesn't have a motor in it but it came with a 390 and a 3or4 speed didn't really look at it. I am thinking about putting a 12 valve Cummins in it. I want it to have power and reliability we will see though I got a long way to go before I worry about that.

powrshftr and Falcon Gasser like this.
  11. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Jeff, mine has a 390 / 4 speed more like a 3 speed because 1st is like a creeper gear. The hitch was on it when we picked it up so not sure but I just haven't taken it off yet. I almost did a 6.9 with a Banks turbo kit swap with a 5 speed a year ago but missed it by an hour off of Craig's list. I have gotten about 9 mpg at 55 mph with the Falcon on it but not practical for the long haul.

Jon

powrshftr and strokedstang331 like this.
  12. powrshftr

powrshftr

Haha....Yeah....You really zinged me there.

So anyway,how's the Parking Lot 500 going...?;)

Scott

13. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Need a Powerstroke, to keep it a all Ford show!!

14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

If you want reliability and good power with minimal cost go with a 12 valve cummins and a Allison at545 i work at international and I wouldn't put a powerchoke in it

15. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Oh, I guess if were going that route, around here it is Duramax all the way.

16. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Parking lot 500 is straining my patience. Halfway there. Dad's neck is getting tired. ...LOL

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Had the intake off ( Because the Monkey screwed up ) .

So it was a good time to move the header evacuation system breathers,
    from valve covers to the intake.

Now running valve cover spacers and original no hole covers.;)
    evac 1.jpg evac 2.jpg

18. 55chieftain

55chieftain

What type hose are you using? I've seen all kinds used from heater hose to braided stainless.

19. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Using 5/8 id Heater hose.

Works good but got keep it supported, when temps go up they get soft and want to flex down on Headers.:eek:

powrshftr likes this.
  20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks Scott. I'll be sure to stop by.

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1462145491319.jpg

1462146456641.jpg

Flip front back on this weekend wiring up all the lights tonight. Just want to make sure Scott has something to follow to find his way back to the pits.:p

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    62Furious, Dog_Patch and Tickety Boo like this.
  22. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Well, I finally finished the bathroom remodel so now I can get back to work putting the trans back in the Okie...I better get my rear end in gear otherwise it will be summer before I know it.

TorkWrench and DeucedUp....looking good fellas!

23. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Been working on the Falcon today. Found that the guy before me had the wrong shift lever for the trans to the shifter. Had a hard time shifting because the shift gate did not line up right. Got a correct one from B&M and problem solved. Now trying to sort out a turn signal problem. Pretty frustrating trying to determine just how the guy before me wired things up. Right now I have right and left in back and both left and right on at the same time in front. Also found that the brake booster was leaking a little over the winter. Dripped enough to peel the paint on the firewall. Glad I did't have a super smooth show finish on the firewall or I'd be really mad right now. Tightened up the master cylinder to the brake booster and that seemed to take care or the problem. If I ever get that damn turn signal figured out I'm going to try to tackle the throttle pedal. Just doesn't feel right to the foot at open throttle. I got to keep telling myself that this car thing is "Fun".

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  24. powrshftr

powrshftr

So this showed up today..... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1462220342.722176.jpg
    One step closer...:)

Scott

25. 62Furious

62Furious

Scott , That is still a lot of parts lying around. and less than 3 months to get it all together.

Zettle Bros I think that the turn signal thing happen to the FORD's of the 60's

Strokestang Nice truck good thing you are young and have time to put things on the back burner.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Dont worry Bob,there's already a shifter in the car,and if we're tight for time I'll just leave it,and concentrate on dropping the motor in.
    And that turn signal is just to show you the way home at the end of the track..;) lol

Scott

Zettle Bros. and 55belairx2 like this.
  27. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I'm thinking at this point a loose ground. Wanted to get back to work on it tonight but I had this thing called a anniversary today and went to dinner with the wife. I figured it wasn't a good time to go up to the shop, unless I just wanted to sleep all night at the shop.

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Congratulations:)

29. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Thanks Scott.

powrshftr likes this.
  30. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Scott-

Thanks for sharing this video of you testing the shift location...looks like you have it under control buddy...

62Furious likes this.