Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Classic car newbie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TastyRubin, Apr 27, 2016.

1. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

So I'm a big newbie coming over to the dark side from the Honda world. I was given a 1960 Ford Falcon 4 door. I read a lot about POR-15 engine enamel and finally decided to try it out. In short it worked great on a iron block but for me spray on worked better on the smoother areas like the valve cover and oil pan. Here's a little before and after. WP_20160328_16_47_18_Pro.jpg WP_20160423_20_40_04_Pro.jpg WP_20160328_16_47_18_Pro.jpg WP_20160423_20_40_04_Pro.jpg WP_20160423_20_40_17_Pro.jpg

michael knight likes this.
  2. ACO.OG

ACO.OG

Nice!

Engine came out nice! Pics of car?

3. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

Yeah I'll get some pictures up soon. It's sitting in my way to small garage so it's hard to get a good pic. Like I said "newbie"

4. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Looks great. Do you have to cover it with something else to make it UV resistant or is that included in their engine paint?

5. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

I don't think I do but now you asked I'm going to research it. It's not back in the car yet so I'm going to check that out.

6. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

Strait from the POR website:

MUST I PAINT OVER POR-15 TO MAKE IT LAST?
    No, but POR-15 has an ultra-violet sensitivity and must be topcoated if continually exposed to sunlight. Once topcoated, POR-15 will remain effective for many years.

7. belair

belair

So don't drive with the hood up on sunny days and you'll be fine.

timwhit and CowboyTed like this.
  8. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

That's great advice!

9. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Hmmm . . . judging from the working space around that truck in his avatar picture, Barn Find must be a newbie too! :)

Your engine looks great! Cleaning up an engine and getting a nice coat of paint on it is one of the more tedious jobs in fixing up old cars.

Barn Find likes this.
  10. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

Yeah I think so also. I know if I were to fix this car up and then open the hood and see the before picture I'd be kicking myself in the butt.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

motor looks good - do you know the internal condition?

12. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

Well like I said I'm a newbie however I did have it apart and mainly because I was told it was a 144ci but I was slightly skeptical. Even though the person who owned it painted it blue I measured the bore and stroke and come to find out it is a 170ci. But everything seemed solid. No lip on the cylinders, the valves looked good except for the seals which I changed, I changed out the hydraulic lifters and added new push rods which I read would be fine as long as I haven't changed the cam. It had two bent push rods but I think that was from me driving it 20 miles to my house without draining the gas tank or because I put a Holley 1904 on it and have no real clue about carb adjustment. Do worry I'm educating myself about the carb.

13. Make sure your oil for first start up has Zink in it to help the new lifters seat to the cam.

14. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

So even if all I changed was the lifters and push rods? If I'm not mistaken all engine oil has zinc in it. So would it be engine oil with high zinc in it your talking about?

15. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Welcome to the 170 CID club! My '55 Studebaker has a 170 flathead six. It's adequate to get around on modern roads, with the overdrive, anyway. Barely.

Educating yourself on carbs can be a long process. One of the first things to learn is reading your plugs. By that, I mean driving the car for a good long drive, getting the "seat of the pants" feel for how it feels when you accelerate, and when you drive along normally. Then, when you stop, let it cool, pull the spark plugs out, and look at the color on the business end of the plugs. A nice tan color suggests that the air/fuel mixture is about right. Black or dark colors mean it's too rich. Plain white or gray suggest too lean. Those problems can usually be corrected by changing the float level, meaning the level at which the float inside the carb shuts off the flow of gas from the fuel pump.

Form there, your seat of the pants sense tells you whether it is accelerating OK, and whether it stumbles off idle, or during acceleration, or when you let off the gas. Those stumbles can be corrected, and the gang here can help you through the fixes, which will vary depending on the carb you're using. Some carbs use various jets or linkage adjustments to adjust rich and lean conditions at different points during operation as well.

16. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

So were did you go to get the initial setting for your carb or did you his already know?

17. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

dirt t,

I see where your going with that it seems older engines experience a short period of time during engine start-up where critical lubrication is insufficient between metal-to-metal lubrication points when using modern oils so higher zinc levels help this initial startup. Thanks for the info and I'll look into it a bit more.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I learned to drive in a 4 dr Falcon, 170 inch six, three on the tree. My dad had an eighth-mile track he used for his horses, and I used to run around that track in the Falcon, thinking I was Parnelli Jones!

firstinsteele likes this.
  19. TastyRubin

TastyRubin

That's awesome brother!

20. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That's the same thing I read on the POR 15 I have used. I hoped maybe they did something different for engine paint. The POR 15 I have applied eventually turned from glossy to flat, which I assume is UV deterioration. I will be topcoating it when I use it in the future.

21. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

My shop can get almost that bad sometimes. The story of that avatar is at
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/drug-this-home-finally.807257/ And we had to move a lot of junk before we could even take that picture. It turned out pretty good eventually.

22. Welcome to the HAMB there is a lot of great knowledge here don't be afraid to ask questions motor looks Great and it sounds like you are of to a good start! Hobo Jim

23. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

That. Is. Awesome.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

25. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Nice job on the engine. I've got a '60 Edsel with a straight 6 but mine is a 223 and yours is smaller than that, isn't it? Where are you from?

26. Zink is important, and welcome from Minnesota!