Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** APRIL 2016 BANGER MEET - DON'T BE FOOLED BY SUBSTITUTES ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 1, 2016.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

really lucky not to float the valves . causes much pain ............

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Joe

That car was lost for 30 years. It took seven years to find it.
    All and all it took up 25 years of my life.

Steve

I am over twice as Z's age ...... you never know where, when, or how love will find you.

3. Sounds like you definitely earned that car!
    Hey, I'm only 5 years younger than Jen's Dad! but If I was twice her age she would be barely legal!:cool:

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Auto Week said I was obsessed with finding that car. I am obsessed with many things in my life. And do everything in my power to make my dreams come true

If you saw us at a race or swap meet you'd say " Look at that old farmer with his pretty granddaughter"

We have been together 14 years in June.

5. Oh, so you must be wealthy/rich!?
    Just kidding! I get that all the time from having my toys and a very pretty, young girlfriend!
    Life's to short to have it any other way!

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I sold that car so now I have money. I lived in my workshop for many years to have my collection. Your right about people thinking it was easy.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

you never know where, when, or how love will find you.
    yes jim , but "Z" wasn't with someone else . joe would shoot me ! LOL

jimski your a very lucky guy !

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Joe has a gun?????!

I thought we we're sortta off topic but we should get back to Bangers

9. This is more interesting...........we need pics!!

10. We all know guns are way cheaper and easier to get than Banger Speed parts!
    Ha Ha, Next time we're out on a cruise in the Banger I will take a picture of her next to the engine to keep it on topic. lol
    Joe

11. Watch out!!! That might send some of these old guys to the hospital:D

12. Oh yeah, You've met Jennifer!:D LOL

13. So, does anyone have info on F A S T's new X class for hillclimb's? I remember when a couple of hillclimb specials appeared at one of the early Auburn hill climbs. That was when they drew up the first set of rules and kinda limited some of the more radical cars. I remember one with a Chevy 4 , a very lightweight car. But the problem at that time was finding a way to limit the speed. One thing the Sandman might be interested in is they ruled out the use of slicks and tires with tread wider than 7". I haven't seen anything in print but there was a notice regarding the fact that they have this new X class in the current issue of F A S T. We had no problem until we started going fast then we never knew what class we could run in.

14. I was in M-6 class. I don't think there was a faster or more radical class!?
    M-6 is the one with Open car,Overhead conversion running an Automatic trans and or a QC rear.
    Steve said the tires just need to be DOT. There was Radials that were a lot wider than my 5.75" wide Bias ply tires!

15. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

The FAST hill climb rules are published on our web site hotforhotfours. If we change anything you get as much advance notice as we can provide and the official change is effective for the next year as published on January 1.
    The rules are submitted to out insurance company so there isn't much changing.
    Tire width can not exceed 7 1/2 inchs. Trust me- we check!
    To find out about the "X" class call Ron Mosher- it is a "work in progress"

16. Spoke to Ron Mosher a few minutes ago, he said X is still developing. Class will be for faster cars so that one individual cannot, as in the past, probably not a good choice of words, "dominate", my word not Ron's, a particular class because that discourages the average builder that complies with all the rules and for whom it is just a hobby and doesn't have unlimited funds to spend. Will probably be more concerned with speedster classes. He also thinks that cars in the Historical class should be original cars not replicas. Street legal will mean just that. He wants it in print so that there will be no question.
    At one 66 hillclimb my car won in the class I was put in and after the hillclimb was over and the results came out my car had been moved to Historic. Reason being it wasn't fair because my car was so much faster.
    As for tire tread width, I was quoting the original F A S T hill climb rules as I remember. I put the comment in because the rules also say no slicks. The mention in the F A S T mag stated that builders should check X out before spending a lot of money on a "special",again, my word!

17. I just made a call and have proof coming that these are street legal!
    Thanks Steve, You just made my day!:D
    [​IMG]

18. Maybe X class should be whom ever gets the king of the hill award, in the same event prior? It might take a while to grow but being in the X class should be earned and not just put there, because someone has more money than brains.
    Just an idea!?
    Joe

19. Maybe we can enter Machinist X?:D:D

20. I'v been trying to get him to build a car but he doesn't want to play with Bangers much anymore! I sold him a 1971 LS6 engine and he wants to find a big car to build a sleeper. I think he got hooked by working on the Famous Farm Truck, back when it was in town! (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this!) Ha Ha ;)

Can't stop now!

21. He'll still do machine work for bangers though right?

22. Yeah, but he is basically kept busy by one man who doesn't like him working on other people's Banger stuff!!!!!:mad:
    He knows who he is, and I believe is only a LURKER or has a few SNITCHES ON BOARD, that probably only lurks too!!!!!????? :eek::eek::eek::D

23. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Joe- didn't mean to "make your day" That tire is not in the spirit of the rules!!!!!! It is not period correct! I think I'll call my buddy Ron! I like the TROG rules and think we should lean in that direction. It's all about having fun!
    Dirt drags- roundy/round on the dirt, etc is FUN! Lets get some more events going!
    I like to drive my car on the trailer after a great day. I measure this part of my life as grins per dollar!
    My FAST group can't do it all- lets get some more young people involved. More events equals more cars equals more FUN!

24. That sounds good to me, I'm just gonna do a few tricks inside the differential and use a different set of gears in that QC wouldn't hurt either. I like the way my car looks, so I'm keeping the same tires on it! (plan on seeing both tires pushing next time though!) :D p.s. There should be no more use of aluminum wheels and Radial tires! Right?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  25. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I wholly agree on the aluminum wheels! Radial tires sure make an old car ride and handle good!

26. Getting that valve train set up just right, Helps!!!!! Thanks to my best friend, (MACHINIST X!!!!!)

27. My car seems to ride and handle good with the Bias Ply tires and Friction Shocks!:D Maybe some day I'll try the Radials that look (period correct)?
    But on my Roadster, I will always keep away from gas tubed shocks! I think they will take away from the look!:cool:
    Thanks,
    Joe

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ford wheels or snow wheels ............ 35 spokes are good as they run tubeless (radials)
    5/5 1/2 bolt pattern

29. 64crump

64crump
    from Alta Loma

Antique Nationals are just around the corner. Saturday May 7th. This will be a great event.
    1461731847828.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

The bottom end of my DSC06094.jpg DSC06148.JPG current Mercury Speedster project, it will have a Fronty SOHC head, no Ford T parts in this engine.

530sandman likes this.