Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has used a Jasper rebuilt engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chad s, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I took care of getting an engine/tranny combo for a customers Mustang a couple years ago. Had the C4 done locally and the rebuilder, best around, told me to stay away from Jasper as he'd had nothing but problems. Ended up getting a 302 direct from the local Ford dealer for less money.

2. I had a good experience when I bought my 327 several years ago,but have not bought one recently.

3. pooch1

pooch1
    from southeast

Bought a Jasper diesel for the 85 F350 work truck. Thing died one month after the warranty went out. No help at all from Jasper. Never again, they have gotten the last dollar from me.

4. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

What I have learned with this thread is that the jasper rebuilds are awesome and complete crap all at the same time.

5. jhaas63

jhaas63

Sounds pretty awful. Why did you go through interview process?

6. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Used them one time. Bought a 351M, engine was very noisy and used oil. Not much help under warranty. Tore it apart and block was bored .040 but pistons were .030

7. Overtime

Overtime

I have one in my 89f150 DD. I've put over 40k miles in 6 years, not a single problem

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. bustingear

bustingear

Ran one in a stocker in 89 at Concorde motor speedway, nc
    Pontiac 400 TUFF as nails
    These are premium engines

9. 53 sparky

53 sparky

We put a 5.4 Triton in the Econoline 250 at work. 70K later we were back to burning oil again. We were really careful to keep the engine maintained. Must have gotten one from one of the disgruntled workers that 59 Apache described.

10. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

I got one for my 2004 jeep after my old engine's block broke. No problems with
    12,000 miles on the motor. I'd buy an other.

11. gonzo

gonzo

It definitely seems like people's experience is all over the map on this one. My tranny just blew in my daily and I'm considering a Jasper.

12. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Can we get an update here? Include any experiences with any other companies as well.

13. fuzzface

fuzzface

jasper is local for us. . We just got another one last month(diesel) for an off topic construction type truck and so far no problems just like all the others we got in the past. we have nothing bad to say about them.

14. I had a rebuild installed in my OT Nissan. Turns out it was a Jasper and the shop installs a lot of them. Been in the car for over 4 years, the warranty was 3 and it still runs strong.

15. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Here is my problem---i read good reviews here on Jasper and that's great. Then i go elsewhere on the web and to other car forums. WAAAAY TOO many bad reviews. And when there are that many bad reviews there has to be something to it.....

But there are also good reviews.

So i'm not sure what to do. i guess i should try rebuilding it myself......

16. They used to be done right here in Missouri and at one time they were good mills. I cannot say about the current motors or if they are still done here. But I would not be afraid of one.

17. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i'm a little afraid of one. That is the problem. Otherwise i would have no problem with pulling the trigger.

i'll put it on the table: There's just too many bad reviews on Jasper.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Bought a 289 short block for my girlfriends (now wife) 65 Mustang. Shop said it would be "completely" remanufactured. It was standard bore, with a taken down ring ridge, new standard pistons/rings, and I assumed the bottom end was a turned crank/new bearings. I only went this route due to time contraints. Despite my reservations about the cylinders, it ran fine and lasted, and this was in the later 70's. But, I have never used them again. It sounds like the most common engine they sell, the Chevrolet 350, is their bread and butter engine, and as such, causes them the least amount of problems. I would think, EVERY cylinder would get bored irregardless of it's condition, new pistons/rings fitted, rebuilt rods, turned crank/bearings, decks surfaced, main centerlines checked and line honed, and a new oil pump would be the "standard" for a remanufactured engine short block. Heads would be surfaced, all new valves, springs, retainers, keeps, and seals. New/reground cam and lifters. They are selling a guaranteed engine, it would be in their best interest and reputation to provide the best product they can. I'm sure they have major contracts with transportation companies and the like, maybe they have shifted to that format as opposed to backyard Joe's? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

slack likes this.
  19. slack

slack

Got a 355 in an OT pick up truck. Been rollin since 92. No tellin how many miles (over 100K) Only one issue. They used steel freeze plugs. Had to pull it and replace with brass when they rotted. Just 10 dollars more for brass woulda saved me a headache but that was my fault for loanin it to my brother-in-law. Radiator sprung a leak and he ran straight water all summer. Why spring for anti-freeze?, wasn't his truck.o_O

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  20. slack

slack

What'd it die of? Did you do an autopsy?

21. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I bought a 350 chevy from them in the 80s.I put 50k miles before I totaled the truck.I would buy from them again.

22. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Take a look at BluePrint Engines. Used Ford 5.0 HO roller cam one in my Model A. Runs extremely smooth and has plenty of go for my light car. Got mine from Summit racing. Long block without water pump or starter. Cast iron heads from mid 90's. Their web only has more powerful one with AL heads. Did not need the power or cost in my car. Leggitt family is behind this company. Famous name in engines for decades. 30 month/50000 mile warranty to boot.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I used to work for a company that carried Jasper motors. When we took the line on, they said flat out that we should expect a 20% failure rate right out of the box.........and they were right. We had so many returns and had to pay so many repair bills that we stopped carrying their motors.

Some people love them and some hate them, but that is just my own experience.

Don

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have heard stories about some cylinders oversize and others standard or various sizes but never actually seen it and will find out if I have problems with the motor I have that they rebuilt,its actually a little noisy so I wonder that if it has smaller rings then whet its supposed to have like what was mentioned before.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Funny! I was just thinking thats right around the percentages on this this thread!