Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I have been watching and amazed at your talent. How many years have you been doing this type of work and at this hobby?
    Here I was thinking that I am a fabricator, B.S. I'M just a armature wannabe when it comes to this. OUTSTANDING WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thank you 34 Larry!..I have been building different types of cars for the past 30 years..Certainly not new at this stuff but far from being great at it..From the start,this build was a big experiment and it has taught me a lot about how it was done in the "old days"..Its not finished yet..Still improving it and still learning!

3. heavydumper

heavydumper

Keep up the good work. I'm wondering what do you have for headlight stanchions? Are they made from a Model A headlight bar? The metal looks a bit thicker than usual hence my query. I need to make a set for my roadster project, trying to get ideas. Thank you!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  4. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

HeavyD..Yes, they are from a model A headlight bar..I cut them and then reshaped them with some heat. I'll take some pics of them so you can get an idea how I made them.

5. heavydumper

heavydumper

Thank you, I look forward to seeing your photos. I will probably be doing the same for my project. I have a modified Model A headlight bar on my fenderless coupe but retained the cross piece between them. I want to use stanchions alone, minus the cross piece for my roadster.

6. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Here's a few pics of my headlight stands..They are rusty like the rest of my car,so don't laugh! headlights 001.JPG headlights 002.JPG

13 and heavydumper like this.
  7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Here's a little trinket I picked up at the Carlisle,Pa swapmeet..A '37 trunk lid handle ..Every hot rod should have one!! headlights 003.JPG headlights 004.JPG

Drewfus likes this.
  8. Incredible build, been watching!!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  9. Dig the handle! I have one to retro fit to my 39 sedan.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Out for a cruise with a few friends and their cars.. image1.JPG

11. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

did you get crab's

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  12. Your coupe makes me drool like large breasted scantally clad women
    Do. Love that thing. Bet you're glad you didn't sell it.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  13. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

No I didn't get crabs! ha ha! We were actually at a diner next to the seafood place having breakfast. image2.JPG

Thanks Jason..You've got some cool cars yourself,pal!!

However,large breasted,scantily clad women are awfully nice to look at too! ha ha!

jerseyboy and heavydumper like this.
  14. Thanks man. Can't wait to see that thing on the track at Latimore!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  15. Amazing work on this car I always look forward to every update!! It just keeps getting Better!! Hobo Jim

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  16. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Yeah man,will be an awesome time! Had a ton of fun last year! Larry puts on a GREAT show!

17. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Jerseyboy..So,you're from T.R? Sounds like you are about 10yrs older than me..How was the hotrod/street race scene back when you lived here? It was nuts here when I was teen..Guys would come from all over the east coast to race at miller airpark back then..

19. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Yeah, I was not into racing, but I was into cars to some degree. I was always doing drawings of friends muscle cars.
    My mom knew the man who owned Miller Airport back then and we would go out there sometimes.
    My dad grew up in TR and used to run hot rodded model Ts out on the fire roads in the Pine Barrens.
    When I was in high school we hung out in whatever some had to drive, from a VW bug to Barracuda. We used to run up to the Stone Pony or out to the "Moon" in the pines. There was always the occasional drag race at a light on 37 or out in the pines, but no organized racing other than in Wall or English Town.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  20. cowboyinachair

cowboyinachair
    from colorado

thats good

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  21. heavydumper

heavydumper

Pardon the thread creep but... That's a nifty roadster in that group of three really great cars, care to tell me more about it or direct me to a thread where I can learn more? Thanks!

22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

That roadster belongs to the INFAMOUS Pat Pryor! I don't believe he has a build thread on here of that roadster but check out his handbuilt 32 roadster thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/pat-pryors-handmade-32-roadster-build.514498/

heavydumper likes this.
  23. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Pat is a maniac. One of my favorite all time 28 roadsters.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Yes that roadster is badass.

25. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Time to start doing some improvements to the 33..it was a rush job to get it ready for TROG 2015 and my plans were to improve it over the winter. Unfortunately, I had customers cars to work on and didn't have any time to do all the work I planned. Anyhow,I am starting to drive her on the street so I need some side/door/rear windows to help keep the weather out. I didn't make any provision for side glass when I constructed the roof so some window frames are first on my list.I made a template of the window opening from some luan i had lying around.Adding about 3/8ths inch all the way around.. Then I cut some strips of 20 ga. metal and bent a 90 degree flange about 1/2" of the width. Using my cheapie shrinker/stretcher to make the bends against my template..Made both inner and outer and then welded them together. I had to make them in halves because my stretcher couldn't do the inside and outside flange together. However,I have a better idea for the next one that I will explain in another post..Clamped in place,I plan on tack welding it in and then support it with wood like a 33-34 would have.. window 004.JPG window 007.JPG window 010.JPG window 012.JPG window 014.JPG window 016.JPG window 017.JPG

26. trey32

trey32

Watcha got parked next to that chopped coupe??!!

27. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

another coupe...' sohc4 013.JPG 34 to be exact.

brEad, Drewfus and heavydumper like this.
  28. trey32

trey32

New project??

29. madfish

madfish

30. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Possibly..I'm looking for a 34 Cabriolet or roadster body/car to build.If I don't find one,I'll build the coupe..