Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A 1933 Ford 5w coupe from a 4 door sedan...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fordgasser1, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I'm going to follow you on this one. Beautiful work.

2. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks racer-john!

3. WOW!
    That score is the things we all dream of finding someday........Best go out and buy a lotto ticket with that kind of luck.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Had to go to the store and pickup a prescription that wasn't ready. While perusing the isles I saw this guy!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456435174.093530.jpg

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  5. Fordgasser1 likes this.
  6. mike bowling

mike bowling

Jeez, George, and I thought I made a score when I found some nice "Mercury" valve covers for a Y block I got.
    Nice buncha stuff ya got!! And what's even better, you'll use it! Good for you!

Fordgasser1 and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  7. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks Wyatt! I heard about the cover shot but haven't found a copy yet.

Thanks Mike..You know how it is, some days you just step into a big pile of it! Ha ha!

8. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Just got lucky..Right place,right time,right amount of $$.

9. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  10. I know how that goes....I mean not arduns...but I;ve had my fair share of cool stuff fall in my lap under similar circumstances. Congrats man! Lovc it when cool shit like this finds a good home!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Had a lot of unwanted drama lately(long story i'll spare the details) So in an effort to keep my sanity,I got out in the shop and punched a bunch of holes(173 to be exact) in a perfectly good 34 Ford decklid! First order of business was to remove the outer skin. I used some specialty remover tools to carefully unfold the lip. It is very slow and time consuming this way but when its all done it still looks factory Ford..Some guys just grind the edge of the skin off or cut the inner support out and leave the folded edge. Once removed,The skin had a bunch of dents and creases in it which must be taken out before any louvers can be punched. I spent a good day of pounding on it to get most of it out. The black primer shows all the low spots that needed to be raised up and smoothed out. It was pretty smooth and straight when all done,I was really pleased with the result. I measured the decklid and marked the centerline.From there,I figured out my spacing and number of rows I wanted. 5 rows looked silly..7 rows were much better! Marking the centerline for each row,I started punching a row down the middle. I never did louvers before so trust me,I was so scared about fuckin' up my decklid!!I proceeded slowly and kept checking the alignment,making adjustments as I went to keep everything straight..I then went across the top and started to go down each row. Again,checking and measuring..Once the punching was done,I carefully folded the edge back over and welded up the corners..A little black primer and the end result came out exactly what I was looking for. Looking more like a HOT ROD now! pure racing 001.JPG pure racing 003.JPG pure racing 004.JPG pure racing 007.JPG pure racing 008.JPG pure racing 014.JPG pure racing 016.JPG pure racing 017.JPG pure racing 018.JPG pure racing 019.JPG pure racing 020.JPG pure racing 023.JPG

12. rpm56

rpm56

Badass right there!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  13. That looks freaking awesome! You made it look easy even if it was your first time punching

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  14. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

It may have been a perfectly good deck lid before but now it's perfectly Bad Ass!!!!!! Awesome job!

Runnin shine, wedjim and Fordgasser1 like this.
  15. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Amazing work! I like your attention to detail. To me, it makes all the difference in a build!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That looks great, what I am always left wondering after seeing jobs like this done is, what about water ?
    What happens to water that leaks into the now open and double walled trunk assembly ?
    The metal looks all pristine and nice now, how long will it stay that way ?
    It seems to me that regardless how careful you are about wet weather or washing, water is going to be in between the trunk outer skin and inner frame. :confused:

brEad and Fordgasser1 like this.
  17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nicely done!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

I thought about that too.. I was tempted to put an inner panel behind the louvers to keep water out but then decided against it..It wasn't shown but I epoxy primed both inside the skin and the inner support to help seal it up.Its not going to stop water from getting in but the epoxy should protect it from rusting inside. Maybe not 100% but it will outlive me.
    Also, not too concerned with rust..You can tell it doesn't bother me that much for if it did I certainly wouldn't subject it to the salt water!! Look for me at TROG 2016 on both coasts!
    12079642_907637242643153_7305221763816006826_n.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    brEad, kiwijeff, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  19. That thing was a blast to watch on the sand! Went right on by Brian Bass's gorgeous roadster too. I gotta find the pic I have of you leading the way on the sand with Bass hot on your tail!

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  20. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

It was great racing TROG 2015..I didn't get to meet Brian but I saw him checking out my car and probably saying to himself," I can't believe this fuckin' piece of shit beat me".. Maybe not, but his stuff is so nice I'm sure he wasn't impressed by my ol' heap!

onekoolkat1950 likes this.
  21. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Looks really good buddy. Nicely done.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  22. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Just had to share these awesome shots of the Ol' heap making laps at the PVR gathering last weekend. Photos by EJ Kowalski and Hi-Test Photography! photo.PNG 13055704_231908420498828_6373963225415476000_o.jpg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

24. brady1929

brady1929

Great hot rod

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  25. Looks great! That dirt racing is awesome, where do you guys race?

26. Seach for "Pure Vintage Racing" here on the HAMB. Its in Jersey. It looks awesome cant wait to get into a race there.

Fordgasser1 likes this.
  27. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This one was a sedan. Back then, you could just go buy a body and bolt it on. That's me standing on the porch.

[​IMG]

kiwijeff, Fordgasser1 and heavydumper like this.
  28. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

On facebook too.. Not a race,just a gathering of like minded individuals who happen to like driving fast in a field somewhere in NJ!!

1952B3b23 likes this.
  29. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Got a little more accomplished today..Always wanted to drill the axle so I took care of that little job.. dropped axle 003.JPG dropped axle 005.JPG dropped axle 006.JPG

Stephen Barrett likes this.
  30. Man....your coupe just keeps getting better. The axle looks great!