Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ACME SPEED SHOP - ROAD TRIP TO THE ROUNDUP 2016

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Acme Speed Shop, Apr 2, 2016.

1. b-bob

b-bob

I can't say how much i have enjoyed your travels this last couple of years. The scenery is much like the interior of B.C. I would love to be able to make trips like this but i am having health problems and being close to seventy years old, health insurance is just not affordable when going to the US. My advice is for the younger people who enjoy this , is to get out and enjoy it while it is still there and your health is good. I look forward to your next travels next year.

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  2. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

:(Great photos, but surely you mean Austin NV, not NM..............

3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Yep that's what I meant. My eyes were going blurry last night as I tried to post the days events. Nevada is correct.

I'm almost home; just crossed into Deschutes County. 68 miles to go. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460920705.709727.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    ACME Gal likes this.
  4. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Amen. Thanks for following.

5. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

You ask a good question. I think about growing up in the '60's and 70's and all of the "older" adults I was exposed to had essentially been raised by the generation that would have lived in these towns. Theirs was a very different outlook on life.

In my short life (born in '61) it seems like the whole world has changed. Almost as if we have forgotten where we have come from and what our parents and grandparents did to secure our future in this country. Maybe that is what draws me to the old and abandoned. It reminds me of where "we" came from.

There is a sadness in seeing these places decaying away as much as there is a sense of curiosity about what life was like when the places were thriving.

6. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I made it home after 4766 miles. It was a good trip. Exactly two weeks on the road but it seems much longer. Life on the road sucks you in. You forget about your daily routine and spend more time in the moment. I think everyone needs to do this a few time before they can't.

America is still out there and it seems ok; for the moment. The small towns are where our country's backbone is; our "base". It's where most of us come from, or at lease most of our parents did. I wonder how much of the small town values will get passed down to the next few generations. I worry it's getting pretty diluted already.

But, for today:

I am happy about this trip.

Happy that Dawn (Impala girl) was able to go on the trip out to Austin (hope she had fun).

Happy my wife (Acme Gal) flew out to Austin.

Happy about seeing my pals Ryan and Keith.

Happy about the places I saw and the people I met on the road.

Happy the van didn't break down.

But above all, I'm happy to be home with Cynthia.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460933921.501155.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460933962.051997.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460933977.476564.jpg

Thanks to everyone that ride along and especially to those that commented. Until next time ............

7. ACME Gal

ACME Gal

I'm happy you are home too!

8. Sorry the trip is over , but glad you made it home safe . Thank you , and will see you in Austin next year . Blue

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thank you very very much for taking us along on your road trip. It was Spectacular !!!!

10. Chrome Moly Steel

Chrome Moly Steel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, fl

Enjoyed following along on your trip. Excellent photos and observations on back road America.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang that cattle shoot shot is great. Ok if I share it with friends?

12. 117harv

117harv

Thanks for letting us tag along.

13. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Go ahead. If you want the high resolution one just message me.

14. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

Xlnt xlnt post John. Enjoyed sharing the travel through the good ol USA!

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Amen , brother !! I feel the exactly same way about all of this .

Glad to see a safe return from the trip . Thanks for all the pics & such .

16. Thanks for taking us along, John.
    You sure cover a lot of ground ,for a guy who can't resist a cool photo shoot.
    I'm sure it on this forum somewhere, but ..drivetrain? SBC, o/d trans, modern tires? Mileage?

Thanks again
    Mark

17. Thanks John, Are you permanently in Oregon now?

18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

John , thanks again for taking the time to post the photo essay of another great road trip . You've sufficiently sated my road trip appetite until I get to my own in a few months . Miss have'n you in SoCal .

19. Big Jon

Big Jon

from someone on the other side of the world , i love your trips, i get to see places i hope to see one day in person,
    cheers mate

20. Swede64

Swede64

Thanks for taking time to share all fantastic photos and stories. The annaual april highlight on the HAMB are something i look forward to every year. THANKS!!!

21. rgdavid

rgdavid

Thanks,
    Reminded me of my travelling days when i lived in my old ex army truck,
    Its defenitly another style of life on the road,
    More sensetive to whats going on,
    And you never know whats gonna happen on a road trip,
    For example, i met a woman at the bottom of france and few yrs later we got married !!!
    Glad your home and had fun,

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You are one lucky guy.
    I envy the road trips you guys take every year.

23. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing your trip, it's great to see the back roads and the way life was when we didn't have to be in a hurry all of the time. Great pictures!!

24. great pics, thanks for sharing

25. Welcome back to Oregon John! Looks like another incredible trip. It's always great to tag along with you on your journey. One of these years I'll actually have to make one of these trips to the Roundup a reality! Sorry that Viva didn't work out, but I'm guessing you didn't miss much.

26. rfraze

rfraze

Welcome Home.
    How did you like the Deming to Camp Verde, AZ part of your journey? You posted pics of Glenwood and javelinas. Would you suggest that route?
    Will you be adding more pics? Thanks again for showing us what you experienced.

27. This has been a great thread to follow. I think cowboy ted hit the nail on the head.....more Road Trip threads. Come on guys and gals, drive those old heaps, take pictures and post 'em up.

28. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The Goldfield hotel is supposed to be haunted, several paranormal shows have featured it. Thanks for the ride along and the great pictures.

29. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

This part of the drive was up in my top 3 sections of the trip so YES I recommend it. There were several times that I saw no one else in the road for hours. So much beautiful high country in New Mexico that I never knew about. I want to go off road camping in that area some day.

30. Thanks for the great pics and seeing the less traveled countryside. Road tripping is good for the soul.