Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Inherited vehicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffd1988, Apr 14, 2016.

1. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Keep it in the family. I love it that is the same that i will do is pass my truck down. Good ol memoreis are not something to let go.

Sent from my LGMS631 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

This is neat. I Love those 63s. Keep it looks good to with the white roof

3. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Trucks werent my thing at first but now i love my truck. I dont care that its not a half ton like most of the fellas out there just i feel as long as money cant buy sentimental value for were your heart is in the history of what is passed down just keep it and take on the beuty of the story and history.

4. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I am sorry guys i am new on here and i upload pics from phone and i do not know how to rotate the photo. But i do apriciate you doing that. Thank you

5. Mine is a OT 1979 Ford F250 Supercab camper special that my grandpa bought new and used for camping it's entire life. Now minewith just over 140k on it. Lots of memories in the back seat headed out camping with him. I remember specifically when he got a tape deck installed in the mid 90's and he told me to bring a tape or two to listen to. I brought Nirvana, I think we made it a half song.

treb11, mrspeedyt, volvobrynk and 6 others like this.
  6. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Well said.

7. I did not inherit in the classic sense, but I do have the OT 68 GTO my father bought new and then I took over in 1979 when I was 16. I still have the GTO, but only lost my father about 4 years ago. I did inherit his (also OT) 1988 Ford F-250, and could have had his 1917 Model T, but sold the Model T as it was all stock and had been restored by my father. Between needing a new owner that could appreciate the stock original car, it also provided money for my mother. I have enough modified hot rods and the stock Model T was just not my thing, although I did drive it and get it running so it could sell.

My GTO will likely go to my nephew, I will never sell it. Probably should keep the F-250 in the family as well, it is in great shape.

clem and jeffd1988 like this.
  8. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

20160220_101135.jpg I have the 1933 chevy coupe that was purchased new by my great grandfather and passed through the family until the mid 60's. Then sold out of family, my dad bought it back into the family in 2000. When dad passed it was given to me. I also have the IH H tractor that my grandfather bought new and my father at 19 drove home from dealer. 20160220_101135.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Not a car but tools and an absolute love of cars. I remember accidentally waking him up after a series of 12 hour chemical plant nights. I had my hotrod in his detached garage. My guys and I started my (just completed) 62 Chevy II in preparation for the AHRA Green Valley nationals. He came out of the house in his shorts about 2 AM and said boy that thing sounds good!

arkiehotrods likes this.
  10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Indeed. I seems like they have that perfect blend of nostalgia, dependability, and practicality so they are difficult to give up. That's probably why dad's wound the odometer back around to zero who-knows-how-many times, is so tired, and yet so ripe for a resto.

arkiehotrods and jeffd1988 like this.
  11. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

I have a Pick-Up my Grandfather bought new from my Great Uncle's Chevy Dealership. After he passed, my Aunt gave it to me. It still gets put to work. IMG_1465 (4).jpg 234.JPG

12. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I love it. That is what a truck is supposed to be. That is the plan with my truck. Enought to drive like a new one and be used like normal. But yet still a classic. Those photos are neat.

13. My Father just passed in Febuary and left me 3 model t's
    A 27 roadster all original
    A 27 touring v8 60 39 driveline
    A 27 roadster pu v8 60 40 driveline
    IMG_8851.jpeg IMG_4704_1.JPG 004.JPG

14. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

5 generations & same family. It began in 1953 with my Great Grand Pa, late 50s with Grand Pa, 1962 up with my Dad, Myself who's been resurrecting it in recent years & now it's my Sons who's 12. At the rate I'm getting to work on it, the kiddo will be close to driving age before its on the road again but I'm taking extra pains to keep it easy for the future generations. It's been a fun low key build but we made it a fun one so we can keep the memories alive & build new ones with it again. I gotta get the 60s H.S. pic's of it from my Dad with the Mod's he made , that's 100 percent what it'll represent in the external looks dept. ..... The 1964 Senior Year in High School.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Hard to believe it lived most all its life on local gravel roads. I flushed the frame out for hours..... :rolleyes: Flux

Hnstray, volvobrynk, Fedman and 2 others like this.
  15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I inherited my old mans striking good looks and nickname..."Ol Tripod"

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I inherited my best friend's '62 F100. That's his boy sitting on top, the day I took it home after the funeral. It's damn sad when a man dies before his kids are old enough to drive. I'm gonna enjoy driving the truck with its cool patina, and fixing it mechanically. The boy likes the patina too, and I plan to give him the truck if he wants it when he's old enough to drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bzeldo, dad-bud, mrspeedyt and 6 others like this.
  17. Sure would like to know more about that stove bolt. Have you been to the 216 social forum?

18. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

So sad. But enjoy the truck for your friend and that is doing the right thing if the boy wants it that will be priceless.

Bzeldo, mrspeedyt and CowboyTed like this.
  19. Fedman

Fedman

:D

20. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I've not checked out the Stovebolt fourm, the original 53 235 "babbit" & was completely went thru in 1970 while Dad was gone, "got drafted & went to Viet Nam" the 53 was drove hardly 2000 miles since, about 2 years ago I did a complete tear down & steam cleaned everything inside & out like a new penny. The bearings still had the protective coating on them, cross hatch marks in the cylinders & I quizzed the retired mechanic who'd went thru it then what to expect & his memory was spot on as to what I'd find. The bearing shells were dated early 1970 to boot. I went thru the clearances and re "rope" sealed it with best brand gaskets and seals the shims went back where they were and all looks great. An older pal swapped me the side drafts as seen here on the "Stove Bolt Dream Find" thread. The "YH" carbs are currently getting ready to get yellow dichromate plated. Its got Sanderson headers and Offy dress up's that we've had for decades. I sprayed the 235 with GM late 60s Cortez Silver with gloss hardner thru my ol' Binks #7. I hung a 62 bellhousing on back and built a Saginaw 4 speed "2 groove input" & hooked a Borg Warner R10 overdrive on back. Sweet little engine. As I posted once .... it's lived between those frame rails for 63 years so it has earned the right to stay. Thanks! Flux
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    bzzzzzzzzzzz........... :rolleyes: Flux

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  21. Very cool you have some neat stuff on that 235. You should share that on the 216 social forum those guys would love what's been done and the history also.

flux capacitor likes this.
  22. Good friend and your a good man taking care of the truck for his son. HRP

23. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

After buying it from his nephew who needed $500.00 for a down payment on a house in 1965 my dad used his 56 Vette for a "shop truck" from 1965-around 1985. It was then parked, He passed in 1989 it was then passed on to me.
    It still sat until 2013 when with the help of hot rod buddies we got her back on the road. Dad would have turned 100 in 2015, he rides shotgun every time I take her out. 20130505_154359.jpg 20130505_154520.jpg 20130518_191810 (1).jpg 1956 VET 024.jpg CameraZOOM-20131025104838687.jpg CameraZOOM-20131130171121744.jpg 20151017_085946.jpg

24. I've got the '40 Ford Deluxe Fordor that my grandparents bought used for $798.25 in July of '41. I've had it since 1970 and drove it up until '86 when I tore it down. Finally have the body in the paint shop; then it gets the Cad. out of my roadster and a new interior. Hope to have it back on the road next year...

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool

26. rattlesnakedaddy

rattlesnakedaddy

I inherited my Grandfathers MGB. He had owned a ton of cool cars over the years (Merc's, T-Birds, etc...), but seemed to love the little MG's most. They are a blast to drive on back roads. I have been thinking of sending down to my Brother in FLorida, where it can be better enjoyed, and maybe my Nephew can grow up with a fun car.

RSD

Attached Files:

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

To my Dad, vehicles were simply transportation, used until he was ready for another. I will inherit his 94 Ford Ranger he bought new when my Mom passes away, which I hope is a long time in the future. Only other vehicle he owned that I would have liked to have was a 71 Chevy lwb 6 cyl pickup that he kept for about 17 years. Sadly, he sold it a few years before he passed, and before I knew he was going to sell it.

I have a pic of my maternal Grandfather in front of a 40 Ford, and another beside a AD series pickup, but he passed away in 58 before I was born in 59, so I have no idea what happened to them. My maternal Grandmother had a 55 Chevy 4 door she traded in on a 64 Corvair, that she traded in on a new 67 Nova. Her last car, a 85 Buick, went to my Uncle.
    My paternal Grandparents never owned a vehicle, or even learned to drive. My Dad was the first in the family to get a drivers license and a car, a 50 Dodge, in 1956.

My Lincoln and my Vette will go to my grandson, as my son would never take care of them.

28. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

this was my Dad's 31 Roadster , those are 2 of my Grandkids sitting inside 31 Rdstr Kids.jpg

Hnstray and Fedman like this.
  29. Guess my dad felt guilty of all the one's my bro and I asked him to keep and maybe for selling my first mini-bike I paid for with my paper route money while I was in Cali visiting the mom's family...he left me a OT SWB Chevy PU "one they all want"....sadly the nephews just aren't into this stuff or getting greasy.....it will go soon - I'm just not a SWB guy...

30. My dad's cousin bought this 1930 closed-cab new in '30 and used it around the ranch for many years...parked it in the barn in the 50s and it sat 'til my dad brought it home in '89......did a full frame-off restoration. He died in '05 and left it to me but I wasn't able to travel to Oregon to claim it 'till the snow melted off the passes that spring.
    In April my son and I drove out with a truck and trailer and when I got there the little shed it usually occupied was empty!!!!!! Somebody had stolen it. Never did recover it.
    rockysabone.jpg