Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wedge Engineering Steel Bellhousing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4ever18, Apr 14, 2016.

1. 4ever18

4ever18

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here's my score from the recent Charlotte Autofair swapmeet. I plan to use it on my '34 5 window project. I've got a 301 Chevy engine, Borg Warner T10, & '59 Pontiac rearend. I want my car to appear to have been built during the early/mid 60's. The unusual thing about this bell housing is that it is embossed with text "55 TO 61 CORV - PASS". Because the other versions of this item that I've seen has the text "55 TO 62", rather than "TO 61" like mine, I assume mine was made in 1961 - prior to the introduction of the 1962 Chevrolets.

I'm curious about the style of dust shield originally used with these units. Were they just sheet metal that covered the opening below the engine block, or were they a full cover plate that protected the back of the block - kinda like the modern Lakewood units? Does anyone have photos or information on this vintage piece?

Thanks, guys.

2. If the bottom is closed, you may need only the stamped engine plate. Slightly newer (pre 1972) truck bellhousings and passenger cars with the cast iron bells had those.

Some of those, you bottom cast section was separate so you could change the clutch with it on.

3. 4ever18

4ever18

This bellhousing is shaped like the modern one piece bellhousings, as in it's a one piece unit. The OEM stamped sheet metal cover will not work because this bellhousing uses the old style bellhousing mounted starter. The OEM bellhousing, with a starter mount, used a bottom cover. Whatever is needed, I can fabricate. I just wanted to know if Wedge Engineering designed this unit to use a plate between the block & the bellhousing, or if it's only a bottom cover that I need to fabricate. I did some Internet searching, but didn't find anything but photos of the actual bellhousing - nothing related to the sheet metal cover design.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice score:). I have been keeping my eye out for one for a while now...

5. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I have one with the bottom. Bought it originally in 1965 or so. It would be forsale. 200.00

6. 4ever18

4ever18

I've seen a few of the two piece bell housings, but the Wedge Engineering version is the only one piece design that I've seen (early versions). I know the modern Lakewood version is a molded steel on piece design, plus the block protection plate which is sandwiched between the Bellhousing and the engine block. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not my Bellhousing was designed for a block plate or if it just uses a sheet metal dust shield to cover the lower front opening. Hopefully someone will chime in that either has first hand knowledge or has some literature for this item.

7. Didn't use a block plate on my RC aluminum or Ansen steel bellhousings. These were used in 1964 thru 1967..stopped racing for 2 years and used a Lakewood without a block plate when I started again in 1969.

Bill

4ever18 likes this.
  8. 4ever18

4ever18

Thanks, Bill.

I had posed this question in a couple other forums and multiple responders said the same thing - no shield came with the Bellhousing. Thanks to all that responded.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Lets see a pic of the bottom. Early Ansens had a big cast bottom piece held on with four large bolts. I sold a Wedge bellhousing a few years ago but can't remember how it was. Lippy

10. bchctybob

bchctybob

I worked at Wedge Eng. during and just after high school. Those bellhousings were designed to be used without a block (protection) plate. That doesn't mean you couldn't put one between the housing and the block but there are no provisions on the bellhousing to bolt them together like a Lakewood design has.
    A few years ago I got one in an engine/trans trade. I cleaned and painted it and it has a prominent place on my shop wall. Good memories.

11. Bob McCaffrey

Bob McCaffrey

I am looking for this EXACT bellhousing for a hot rod restoration project. The one on Ebay is virtually identical but doesn't have the raised crescent in the middle of the machine flat surface. I you or anyone finds a duplicate, please contact me. Thank you. bob