Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How to sell a 34-3 Window project Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedman, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Fedman

Fedman

Well I have come to the realization that my long time project is likely to never be completed by myself.
    A long time nagging lower back injury is making this type of work next to impossible for me now.
    My problem is that I have a very large collection of new and expensive parts purchased for the build.
    I am sure that the frame and body will be easy to sell, but I would like it to go as a package. ( I hate selling stuff)
    If anyone has some advice for me on a logical way to try and go about this I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I have been very successful selling cars & parts on the HAMB. I suggest you list what you have along with the car and frame as well as a reasonable price and you will get response. When you do, make sure who you are dealing with as you will find out a lot in their profile. I have never had any issues with ALLIANCE MEMBERS. Good Luck. Larry

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I realize this wasn't posted as a want ad. But could you post a picture of the car? If I could spare the expense your situation is something I would love to buy as a package.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Use the classifieds,they work.

BTW,photo's are a must.HRP

Texas Webb and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. If its priced right, a 34 Ford 3 window would sell itself.

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. Fedman

Fedman

I added a few Pics of it up top.
    Thanks Guys.

7. Hire out some young guns to help.
    You guide, they do and you'll finish.

Listing and pictures of parts collection will sell if it's priced accordingly. Lots of guys look for an unfinished project just like yours. The thing is they are trying to profit from your loss and you need to be ok with that.

tfeverfred and Fedman like this.
  8. Fedman

Fedman

Yeah, I am really aware of that..... :(
    thanks for the advice!

9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn man, if I lived closer I would be there in a heartbeat and help ya finish it. Isn't there anybody here that could help this guy out?

10. So you're not ok with that?

Don't sell it then- finish it.

So You need help,
    Have you asked for help?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

too bad that you live so far from Civilization - Ha! transporting will be a challenge for buyer.

12. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Jalopy Joker, There is no challenge if some one really wants this awesome project, I would pick it up in a heart beat and I am farther away than you are. My problem is I already have a steel 3-W.

13. adam401

adam401

Looks like a nice car. I like buying stalled projects and I like 33 34 Fords but you seem far too alive for me to get a really good deal.

Thatll sell quick to the right guy good luck

Fedman likes this.
  14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm all for seeing you keeping the car and having it finished (as 31 Vicky suggested). If you've lost interest or don't have the $$$ to finish it, you'll have no problem unloading it if the price is right.

If you sell it, do you still have a running/driving Hot Rod in your stable to enjoy?

That 34 3/w (and parts) is valuable. You should be able to net enough $$$ from its sale to purchase something already done. Another angle would be to trade the 34 project to someone for a finished, running/driving car, or a very nearly finished car that is only needing interior, etc.. This could perhaps be a larger, soft riding 40-50's cruiser that would be more comfortable for your aching back.

15. Fedman

Fedman

31Vicky, yes I realize if I package it up there will be a certain loss....
    This was not intended to be a for sale thread by me.
    If it came off as that I apologize,
    yes I would use the classifieds if I was selling it.

My question was in what to do with all the extras I have bought for it, selling the basic car should be relatively simple.
    I was hoping that selling all the parts with the car would be a possibility that is all.

Have I asked for help? No..... but I might look at having it finished by a shop if I don't sell it.

I realize it is at a really awkward part of the build to try and sell.

I appreciate all the advice.

16. Squablow

Squablow

Since you're location is a bit "out of the way" for most guys in the market for such a car, I would suggest trying to make it a roller, so that a buyer who might be paying a transport company to haul the car will have a much easier time getting it loaded and unloaded. Even if you have to pay a shop to put axles under it, and even if it's a temporary setup, it will mean a lot in making the car easier to sell.

Also, what are the "extras" you're considering packaging with the car? If it is key components to finishing the car, then it should definitely stay a package. But often times "extras" included with the car add no value to the final sale price, in which case you're better to sell them separately, even at a substantial loss over the original price paid.

17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Make it a package deal, period. If you itemize all the spare parts, possibly with some purchase prices or reasonable value, somebody will realize they can't lose on buying the whole works... yes, will be much more money to lay out but in the long run car could really be relatively easy to finish with so many parts included. Folks will buy the leftovers but it will take time.
    I've bought packages that left me with lot of good stuff after I had the basic vehicle on the road.

While you will likely take a hit; it will all be over and the stuff will be gone and more space will be available for that completed/nearly completed next car that you can still enjoy and your worrying will be mostly behind you.

I'd rather take one big hit and be done with it than dole the pain of loss out over a long time... that process really kills the attitude. If your health was better and you were better able to handle and hustle the spare parts it would be a different story.

It is much easier to advise others than DO for yourself so ponder it for a while and hopefully a good solution will present itself.

Good luck,

Al

Fedman likes this.
  18. Take a day, get some help and lay out all the parts and photograph and inventory every part. Like an invoice and list it all as a package. It will go.

It's not awkward but it narrows the buying field, those wanting a finished car would exclude themselves. You'd have dreamers, traders and sharpshooters left. The dreamers think they can finish especially if it comes with all the stuff, the traders offer a lesser but complete car and the sharpshooters know they can make some money on it.

Look at like this.
    (Just picking numbers you insert your real numbers)
    Say you finish it and it could potentially bring $40,000. But looking at it now it takes you $20,000 to finish it. You'd be agrivation and years ahead of it to sell it as is right now for 20,000 and you could be even on the money.

There's an ass for every seat and lots of guys want to sit in a model 40 3w.

Fedman likes this.
  19. Marken

Marken

I'm curious as to what type of hassle it would be trying to bring a project car into the States?

I could be interested in a package deal, but only if the engine isn't part of it. And I guess the price would be a factor also.

Looks like you got a good amount of work and time into it. Would like to see you finish it though.

20. Fedman

Fedman

I just looked at a majority of the parts invoices for it $28,682.00 Canadian.
    I knew it was high, maybe there was a reason I forgot! :)
    I am going to let all this info sink in and consider what may be the best route to go with it.
    I really appreciate all the info you all provided to me.

21. Fedman

Fedman

My friend that lives just south of here in Bellingham has had no issues taking things south through the border.
    He cannot believe how hard we have it trying to bring stuff north.
    The Car is registered and has storage insurance on it, so paperwork should not be an issue.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Fedman, lets talk further about this. Dont rush into anything.

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At today's rate of exchange
    22219.47 US Dollar sounds like the deal of a lifetime on what I see in the photos epecially when you see bodys and frames going for almost that.
    The West coast of BC might be a far piece for a lot of guys especially those that think driving 100 miles to a rod trot is a monumental trip but If I had the coin to spend it wouldn't take a lot of talking to convince my wife that we need to take a road trip to BC for few days but we are going to have to take the truck and trailer.

24. Fedman

Fedman

Mr48chev, that is just the parts I have purchased, does not include the car....

25. MBog

MBog

Fedman, buddy, I work cheap! Don't throw it away. I have a good back lol.

bct and Fedman like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There you go man, sounds like a regular old fashioned Amish barn raisin' shapin' up!

Max Gearhead and Fedman like this.
  27. You pitching in George?
    I can come up for a week.

Fedman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, we are working behind the scenes to see if we can get something going here. Its a bit tough right now, as you know, I am in the midst of building a new shop right now, but Fedman and I have been talking, and with the mighty Bogman on side, maybe we can get something going here.:D

Drewfus and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  29. "My question was in what to do with all the extras I have bought for it, selling the basic car should be relatively simple.
    I was hoping that selling all the parts with the car would be a possibility that is all."
    I use a combination of both selling extra parts at swap meets and using the HAMB classifieds. Selling the parts with the car [if it's a completed car] would probably be a money loosing experience...........not that selling them separately wouldn't be.
    I'd make up a list of those extra parts with your prices and see if anybody wants them with the car when selling the car. If they'll pay your prices or close, great! They probably won't, in which case I'd sell them separately. The big stuff sells better at swap meets because you don't have to ship it...little stuff isn't hard to ship so it goes in the HAMB classifieds.... I don't use Craigslist to sell because I don't want dirtbags in my shop/garage/house..

Fedman and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Fedman, I'm sending you a PM.

Steve