Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Custom-Rod Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Apr 8, 2016.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Custom-Rod Coupe

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It that a chrome firewall?

To me, most early customs were the best. Just enough change to improve on an proven design.
    But once the 'mine is better/flasher than yours and the over the top changes to just make changes, came into the mix, ruined many a beautiful custom vehicle, both car and truck.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sometimes when I read this stuff, the gulf between the car scene I grew up with and the way it is currently viewed really jumps out.

Peanut 1959, Squablow and Crazy Steve like this.
  4. showrod

showrod

image.jpg image.jpg
    Here it is Later in life, I'm told Brandy was the name of bill block's Saint Bernard.
    The fenders have been in my attic for over a decade.
    If anyone is interested in recreating this car let me know.

5. catdad49

catdad49

Never saw the early versions of this car, but they are quite restrained compared to the dual headlight ones. I think they are all relevant to the time period and the whole show car culture. Didn't Bill Block have other cars of this ilk? Thanks for the lesson Joey.

6. Ain't that the truth....

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

A chromed firewall. Even in the era of no EPA regulations on plating, it would still take an amazing amount of effort to buff and plate something of that size. Having worked in a chrome shop, that amazes me.

Showrod, it's great that those fenders survive intact, and I'd bet the car still exists somewhere, but devoid of most if not all of the custom features it had at that point. I don't know that I'd want to build a clone of the car, but those are a hell of a cool thing to have hung up in the rafters of the shop.

8. I'm sure @showrod knows the story better than I do, but I'll hit the highlights. Supposedly, the body shop fire destroyed the back half of the car. There are pictures that show the fire was so intense that the back tires melted. There are rumors that someone rebuilt the car as a more stock appearing hot rod, so it doesn't resemble the Brandy's Chariot version anymore. But who knows...how would you be able to tell?

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Looks like a chromed over lay panel on the firewall.

10. flamingokid

flamingokid

She was a beauty in her first variant.After that,not so much.Just my .02 cents. :)

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  11. jroberts

jroberts

I agree......

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  12. Love both renditions of the car, sits right and looks good.